Has the ride itself changed between ToT and GotG? Anyone take dreaming for motion sickness?

Unrelated to motion sickness:
Here's one of our local reporters:...
Watching these videos, makes me hope Disney adds in ride video -- WDW already does this for TOT and 7DMT.
Most of the content is the same for all guests, with a few seconds of unique video.

Ride it! While the mechanics are the same, the theming is so much more upbeat and fun. That makes it much more tolerable for those afraid of scary rides.

A CM told me that a lot more people are getting sick on the ride now because the movement is continuous. On the other hand there's nothing really scary about the theme - it's really fun and there's some very funny videos depending on the ride experience you get. I really prefer it over TOT.

I didn't want to like this ride because I loved ToT so much. I still think the building is much more suited to being a hotel, but other than that, I really do feel GoTG is a much better ride than ToT ever was. We rode it several times this trip, and I would have gone more if we had the time! We had three different songs I think, but my favorite one (so far) is "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5. As another poster said, it's very much like you're "dancing" with the ride now. I'm a huge Twilight Zone fan, but I think Disney did a great job with this ride renovation and I can't wait for our next trip to ride it again!

I do get motion sickness, so every morning before we head to the parks, I take the "natural" version of Dramamine, the one with the ginger. I don't really need anything stronger than that, so I prefer it over both Bonine and the non-drowsy Dramamine.

For us, the ride was really intense. I almost threw up on it. It starts dropping almost immediately and doesn't really stop moving much throughout the ride. We never rode Tower of Terror. If you do choose to ride it, just know that there are no baskets or places to store your park bag, backpack, or anything like that. So hold onto your stuff or it will definitely move. The only way I was able to not barf was to scream my fool head off as loud as possible the whole time.

I think that it's the sort of thing that you either really love or really hate. It's worth it to give it a try one time. My kids cried for 10-15 min afterwards. Never going on that again!!

We recently took our granddaughter on a trip by plane and wanted to give her something for motion sickness. We were told by our pharmacist that children should not take meclizine, which is the ingredient in the less drowsy type of dramamine. He told us to use the original dramamine formula, which has a different active ingredient. The original type does not last 24 hours and will make the child drowsy.

For motion sickness I swear by Psi Bands! (Full disclosure, I don't get sick on any of the rides at Disney, but I do get sick in the back of cars and on every boat I have ever been on.) I have used them on a cruise in the South China Sea (some of the roughest water known to man) and a five hour road trip in the backseat of a car on bad roads. They work as soon as you put them on, there are no side effects, and you can take them off when you don't need them anymore.

Thanks everyone! If it's making me people sick it's a definite no go for me! I'll risk it at USH for Harry Potter but at least that ride isn't drops. I was planning on asking his pediatrician about what to take but that is definitely concerning about kids only taking the one that makes them drowsy!

Ride it! While the mechanics are the same, the theming is so much more upbeat and fun. That makes it much more tolerable for those afraid of scary rides.

I'm not afraid of being scared. I'd actually want to ride it for the theme. I like theme rides which is why I'm trying to psyche myself up for the Matterhorn but I'd never in a million years even consider Scream. I really hate speed rides like SM and the tummy dropping feeling in drop rides so that's why GotG scares me, not the theme.

For motion sickness I swear by Psi Bands! (Full disclosure, I don't get sick on any of the rides at Disney, but I do get sick in the back of cars and on every boat I have ever been on.) I have used them on a cruise in the South China Sea (some of the roughest water known to man) and a five hour road trip in the backseat of a car on bad roads. They work as soon as you put them on, there are no side effects, and you can take them off when you don't need them anymore.

Do you know if Psi Bands are the same thing as the ones recommended for morning sickness? I have some of those somewhere if I can find them. It didn't work though, but maybe that's a totally different thing? Or if it doesn't work for morning sickness would it not work for motion?

Do you know if Psi Bands are the same thing as the ones recommended for morning sickness? I have some of those somewhere if I can find them. It didn't work though, but maybe that's a totally different thing? Or if it doesn't work for morning sickness would it not work for motion?

Yes, psi band are recommend for both morning sickness and motion sickness. They work on acupressure/acupuncture points that counteract nausea. My acupuncturist says they are the point that send "stomach energy" down and keep it from rising... and. to me, that makes sense for both cases. They may not work for everyone, but I have had good success using the bands.

Also ginger for motion sickness... you can get it in a capsule or eat candied ginger.

Edited: The psi bands have an adjustable wrist band so you can get the correct amount of pressure. There are other band that are more like a stretch sweatband that I don't think work as well. It is also important to get the button positioned in the correct spot on on your wrist.

The ride is substantially more intense now. It drops more times and it does this swaying during the video scenes that really made me feel a little motion sickness. I never had any issues with ToT before. The theming is cool but disappointed in the actual ride changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter