Has the quality of Disney's TV programming declined?

I fear that the primary goal of the Disney Channel now if to make sure everything can reach a multi-platform: cast a kid in a show, sell merchandise, record an album, then fire him. You never saw them do that with Boy Meets World.

Disney Channel never really got it right again after Boy Meets World. TV actors do not need to be pop stars or models. In fact, it is probably best if they aren't (see Miley Cyrus for proof). TV shows don't need to take place on cruise ships or penthouse suites, either.

I hadn't watched TDC since I was in HS when it first started. Back then, our whole family watched it, and it had really good programming, include runs of the old movies.

I got started watching it again after I caught a 1st season episode of P&F (while I was at WDW) and fell in love. Now even my DH is excited when there's a new episode. It's clever entertainment.

From that, I caught Wizards of Waverly Place. It's definitely a kids' show, the pacing and plotting are definitely in that genre, but it stood out. I called it "Disney does Surrealism." At times, it could be brilliantly silly, and I loved the character of Alex, who is the anti-Disney-show-heroine--much more Jack Sparrow than Hannah Montana.

These current shows. . .meh. Zeke and Luther is definitely surreal, but it's just not as engaging. Ant Farm, Jessie, Shake It Up and Good Luck Charlie are just. . .more Good Girl dramas.

Is it too much to hope for a Wizard's sequel?

Definitely. I really don't understand why they don't rectify this! I always trawl through my Sky+ and press record on all the old shows I used to like. They're usually on last thing at night or first thing in the morning which is upsetting.

I couldn't agree more. There simply isn't the same quality anymore. They even got rid of Toon Disney, which was the only place we could catch a Mickey Mouse cartoon!

I love Phineas and Ferb it's probably the best show on the disney channel. I also like the new show Gravity Falls, but the rest of their shows range from mediocre to flat out bad.

Yes ever since the premiere of Hannah Montanna. I miss That's So Raven and Lizzie McGuire. And I really miss House of Mouse

DisneyAllyC said:
Yes ever since the premiere of Hannah Montanna. I miss That's So Raven and Lizzie McGuire. And I really miss House of Mouse

I LOVED Lizzie McGuire. I really wish there would have been more seasons. The programs now drive me nuts, but Shake It Up and Austin and Ally take the biscuit for being the worst.

It's honestly declined since Hannah Montana was first released. Now almost every show follows the same formula: Stupid parents, kids in charge, stupid jokes, spoiled kids who are either a rockstar, dancer, or some sort of special person. Honestly I guess I can understand the hype of watching someone special do special and amazing feats (Wizards of Waverly Place seems to do it right.) but in all honesty they're pretty much the same show over and over again. I remember shows like Lizzie McGuire and That's so Raven... whenever those kids got into trouble, they got into trouble and wasn't so spoiled that they were treated like they were special. I think it's gotten to the point where the parents in the shows are too easy on the kids, and quite honestly are unrealistic. Would you honestly tell your kids that they weren't wrong when they almost hurt themselves and others?

:thumbsup2

Mr. Kipling is the best actor on the Disney Channel. ::yes::

I'd really love if Disney created an old school channel and played all the old shows... It would be so cheap for them, but get so much viewing!

I can remember my mom saying that over 10 years ago! :rotfl: in the late 90's/early 2000's late at night they had "Vault Disney" and would play the classic stuff. We thought they should make a whole Vault Disney channel without all the 'tween' nonsense that was just starting to take over back then. Now that it all seems to be crap like that, a classic Disney channel would be even more refreshing.

Teens have control of their parent checkbooks , so we get some Disney exec who thinks these shows are a guaranteed buck.

I hate the tern shows they have on now. I wont let my kids watch that trash. It soap operas for tweens and they have content that is really not very disney.

Just one mans opinion of course...

Yes! It's awful. Although I am impressed with Gravity Falls. It was painful watching the Disney Channel in the hotel, Shake It Up was the only semi-decent show, everything else was truly terrible. They need to deal with it, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon! :confused3

I'm 35 and I still enjoy watching the Disney Channel...with and or without my kids. Now I don't think the quality of the programming changed, I think that, we as adults, have just grown. And we find ourselves trying to compare the newer shows with the ones we now consider classics.

Gravity Falls is fantastic, but everything else is bad. I use to like Phineas and Ferb but it's worn out now.

I'd really love if Disney created an old school channel and played all the old shows... It would be so cheap for them, but get so much viewing!

Agree with this! The Disney Channel in the late 90's early 2000's was the best! I ALWAYS had The Disney Channel on all throughout high school! I also really liked the Disney Channel original movies that were made during this time period!

1990's Disney Channel was amazing. I LOVED Vault Disney. As a child I totally worshiped Hayley Mills and they played her movies on there all the time. I also liked how the old Disney Channel would always have little features about behind the scenes at DL or WDW. I also used to love the shows Adventures in Wonderland and Under the Umbrella Tree.

I have been watching the Disney Channel forever. I agree that the characters have become far too formulaic and loud over the years. Bratty is not funny, though the writers seem to think it is. We all know what I mean so lets find the few good shows:

Good Luck Charlie is the best show currently on Disney. This one does at least try to have their characters not be so cookie-cutter and have a bit of honesty.

Wizards of Waverly place was great. It was good to see it go out on its own terms, the family wizard decided and all that. they all grew up and it was time to end wrap it up. Nice show Disney.

Gravity Falls may be OK, I'm undecided as yet.

The others are mediocre or worse. I watch some of them still, but that is the die hard Disney in me who enjoys sharing Disney with my girls.

-Shawn

All the "shows" are awful, I think they are "toying" with the idea about some old school/classic cartoons but if they can have a classic cartoon channel on the ships why can't they as an option for Disney Channel/s

zstyles said:
All the "shows" are awful, I think they are "toying" with the idea about some old school/classic cartoons but if they can have a classic cartoon channel on the ships why can't they as an option for Disney Channel/s

I love the idea of this...Disney Channels version of Boomerang! I can see it now...Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Recess and one of my favs, The Weekenders...We need to get this goin!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter