Has it really gone up that much?

Disney priced us out a few years ago while planning a family trip. Like someone else said, it's not that I can't afford it. But I would much rather spend my money on something with a greater value. I don't want to stay at a value resort because I refuse to pay $500+ for a deluxe room and that's a small standard studio. No thanks.

My youngest niece is turning 5 this year so it's time to start planning for another family trip to Disney in 2020. So here we go again pricing renting DVC, or maybe several value rooms and/or moderates. I'm sure we'll end up back at WBC in their 4 bdrm presidential suite, our condo of choice when staying off site. We've added 1 sister in law and 2 brother in laws since our last multi generational Disney trip. And sleeping on top of each other or sleeping on pullout couches is not our idea of a vacation. Couples need their own space as well as the kids. We have also decided to do less Disney days and add on Universal days which we never do. We were DISNEY ONLY people but like I said they have priced us out so we have embraced other options.

Will we still go to Disney in the future? Of course, turning 5 and going to Disney is a right of passage in our family. Why 5 because we don't do strollers in Disney? LOL!!! Family Rule!!! Anyways, it was a fun run while it lasted. Now we're cruisers. We can even get suites aboard the ships for what it cost us to go to Disney. LOL!!!

I suspect that most people, even those of us with high incomes, will balk at paying the same for a theme park vacation that it costs to go to Australia or Japan. I have spoken to a lot of Disney die-hards who are finally opting out due to the significant price increases. And it isn't because we can't afford it. It's because the value per dollar has lowered recently, which is upsetting. I expect Disney will eventually course correct (likely with big "discounts"), because most people aren't thinking "Hey 75K for a family vacation is no big deal." We love Disney, but everyone has their limits. For us, it pushed us to other locations for vacation when we were going every other year for 10 days, staying deluxe and eating table service nightly. Heck, the real bungalows at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora will cost about the same!
I totally agree with this. There is a difference between accepting that Disney is expensive, and living with what’s happening now. I don’t plab my trips to Disney a yea and a half in advance nor do i care to.

The value resorts are really bad, the moderates aren’t much better and the deluxe resorts are out of control price wise.

I love WDW. Love it. But if it weren't for a big family trip in Dec I wouldn’t be going back. The last trip did me in. I thought POP was little better than a roadside motel. I spent a fortune on Minnie vans because the bus waits were ridiculous. The food and parks are still great but not worth it.

I am doing a quick trip with my adult daughter this weekend. If our entire family of 5 was going it would be ridiculously expensive. We did that right before Christmas a couple of years ago and switched to off property hotel to make it affordable. The price increases combined with our three kids all being grown up has impacted what we consider “worth it”. We did a trip many years ago with free dining-where 4 (2parents and 2 teens) of us shared a room at CSR over spring break. It was a great trip and we got a lot of bang for the buck. These days 4 in a room is not ideal. :-) And CSR rack rate is no longer $130 a night at spring break. lol. The resort prices may not have doubled, but with the other price increases and big crowds, I am not planning to pay for Disney too often anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter