• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has Grand Floridian always been so… hectic?

EpcotPhoenician

Thank the Phoenicians
I’ve been at the Poly since Saturday. Once the Marathoners left, the crowds died down quite a bit. Walking around Poly has been very peaceful, regardless of what time of the day. The feature pool has been relatively quiet, too.

I have taken a few days thus far to stroll around the different resorts and can’t help but notice how… hectic… Grand Floridian seems compared to Poly and the boardwalk area resorts.

My definition of hectic includes screaming children (expected in Disney - just noting that I have seen it far more at the Grand compared to other resorts), crowded pool, wedding venues crowding the walkways/common areas, etc.

I have personally never stayed at the Grand, so I can’t comment on the rooms themselves. I am just curious if this is common here, or if I’m just experiencing an odd series of events this week. :rotfl2:

I have always found the GF to be hectic. And you did not even mention the golf carts that maintenance speeds around in there! The lobby always seemed to have tons of people in it and was often really loud. A few years ago we stayed at Boardwalk for the first time and it was so noticeable how much more peaceful it is. We think it's party because the way the buildings are set up with the courtyard area--you'd never find your way back there unless you were staying there.

Now if you really want some calm, check out Old Key West next trip!

I have always found the GF to be hectic. And you did not even mention the golf carts that maintenance speeds around in there!

Yes!! I swear I almost got ran over twice! When I walk on the sidewalks I have to force myself to stay to the far right side. Never know when a golf cart is going to come racing up from behind you!

We usually go the week before Thanksgiving and rarely find much of a crowd in the GF main building unless the Christmas tree has recently gone up or it's snack-buying time at the Gingerbread House.

We love the GF and rarely stay elsewhere, so I freely admit I'm biased.

That said, times we've been in Beach Club's or Wilderness Lodge's lobbies, there've been far more screaming children than we've observed at the Grand in the more than half dozen times we've stayed there.

I do agree that weddings can be a problem, particularly for trying to park by the villas.

I’ve only visited there once, but noticed it was MUCH busier than the resorts we stayed at (Coronado an AKL- Kidani, both dead as a doornail last May).

Probably the first time I’ve ever heard the GF not only called hectic, but on top of that, complaints about kids screaming when being compared to Poly!! I have always found it the exact opposite! To each their own! 😊 Hope you’re having a good trip!

GF has a lot of shops and restaurants in the main building which causes the crowds. It was noticeably quieter a few weeks ago than previous trips.

Always hectic? Well, you should have seen what it was like in July 2020. Of course, the NBA was staying behind the blue fence. :)

This is why the GRAND Will never a 5 star hotel. All the above comments are so true

My most craziest day at the GRAND was: Wedding party taking pictures, adults running around in bathing suits, Tons of families waiting to eat at 1900 Park fare, convention group , tourist just roaming around , fancy dressed couples making their way to V and A , all while the band is playing.
I just had to take it all in.

It’s a little colder this week, so not Poly’s prime. Compare Poly to GF in the middle of summer and I think one may have a different impression - usually GF is the calmer of the two.

But a good example of how things are always different around WDW….. weather… time of year… conventions or no conventions…events or no events, etc…almost no two weeks or seasons are the same.

We had a surprise stay at the Grand last month, and they were filming a DVC commercial in the quiet pool. They didn't ask us to leave, and were very apologetic for getting in everyone's way. But 20+ film crew people crowding the pool area on a busy Friday afternoon made it nuts, and a lot less relaxing than we originally planned. A cool experience, I guess?

Each time I have stayed there, it has been busy (though not always) but never hectic. Maybe I just got lucky. Staying there again three weesk from today. So hoping its chill that weekend as well

I have found the lobby to be bustling but that's why I like to people watch there. I don't find it especially hectic. BC to me is the most hectic because it always seems like tons of kids are there, probably for the pool.

I don't stay there so I usually enjoy the bustle. Excellent people watching. Especially with a martini

I do stay at OKW, it's a great place to chill.

I have never felt GF was hectic. It is supposed to be a in the style of a grand hotel, so populated. Perhaps previously the afternoon band music helped to drown out and reduce some of the noise.

The GF at night, back when the band would play etc was a MADHOUSE in the evenings.

Diff'rent strokes, without a doubt. I'd hardly call it a madhouse then. Like Disneylover99 said, "bustling...in a good way."

The lobby while the GF Orchestra played was one of my favorite times/places at the Grand. It was really fun to be there when 1900 Park Fare had just closed. Sometimes, the Wicked Stepsisters would come to the lobby and dance with kids. Fun to watch their antics.

I really HATE that a) the orchestra's perch near what was Mizner's was changed and later on, b) they were let go entirely.

The Grand of an evening is not nearly as much fun without their wonderful music floating down from above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter