• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has DAS changed since re-opening of WDW after COVID-19

PBB

Mouseketeer
Hello,

In 3 weeks, We are visiting WDW for the first time since Sept 2019. Has the DAS changed since the fast pass reservation system is no longer being used? If so, how has it changed?

I hope Guest Relations is nicer than last time. I was told by the GR Agent “You need to be in a Wheelchair“. That didn’t sit well with me and my small part NY/NJ Heritage came out. I asked if he was a Dr? Have you read my medical file? Until my Dr. recommends it, I am walking and he has no business telling a person they should be in a wheelchair. My wife was at the gift shop getting a bottle of water and she saw my eyes from 100 yds and knew I was upset. To be honest, this was the first time I have gotten upset about being disabled. It took about 4-5 hours to get it out of my system. Two days later, we were going to MK from GFV and the security was wanding me Because I had a intrathecal pain pump implanted. The scanners turn off the pump. So, I need special screening. I hold my hand over the pump to protect it during the process. The security guard asks to see my pump. I told him it was implanted and I pulled my shirt tight so he can see the profile of it. It‘s about the size of hockey puck. Apparently, that wasn’t good enough and he asked me to take my shirt off! I told there was no way that was going to happen. I was on the monorail platform of the Grand Floridian! No screens or barriers from the 100 people getting on the monorail. I asked him what’s next ? Should I get my pocketknife from my car and cut it out so he could see it? I had already showed my medical ID to him but now he wanted to see my scars. I have to wear a rash swim shirt when I go for a swim because of all the scars and people staring or asking questions or what happened. The supervisor saw it unfold and came over apologizing after my voice got loud and telling me I could leave. He was a little late to the party! I have to admit I expected better training, professionalism and some kindness at WDW,especially, from a Guest Relations person.

I have been getting GAC/DAS cards since 2013. We had come down for our anniversary in 2012 and we drove from Atlanta. We made a mistake and went to Dinner in Mexico on the lake ano my back started seizing up. I could walk about 300ft before sitting for 5-10 minutes and doing it again. It took about 50 min to get to our car. My wife went looking for a wheelchair and they were all rented.. we checked into AKL Jambo and had the last room on the wing. We got ourselves and our rolling luggage to the room and the ving card wouldn’t work. My wife ran back to the lobby to get new keys and a bellhop to open the door with his key in case. I married a smart girl! They came back to find me on the ground. She thought I had a stroke or such. There just wasn’t a place to sit down. It was worst weekend, I ever had. I was prepared to sell our DVC Membership then. We had AP’s and they expired in April so my wife asked to go one more time and make changes around my condition. One of the first thing was to ask for a room to be close to the lobby. We were staying at Boulder Ridge and I called DVC Member Services and asked for a room to be near the elevator and explained what happened during our last trip and we were going to try one more time. If it didn’t work then we were done. She got us the room on the first floor we could step off our balcony and be in the lobby in 2 mins. She asked if I had a GAC card and I had no clue what it was. She told me all about it and we requested one at MK. Wow, what a difference one little card made! I figured it allowed us to see an extra 2-3 rides or attractions a day. The reality is they weren’t E ticket rides. I can’t go on a Roller Coaster or flight simulator ride. The one thing that bothered me is the CM’s never checked my ID to Match the name on the GC card. A lot of people complained seeing healthy people using them and apparently someone would go back to the room and rest and give their party the card and they would use it without the person who needed the card. Plus, the article in NYer Magazine doomed it writing people using to the card by lying about their disability then using it to act as a tour guide for the rich parents to pay them and take their children on private tours of WDW. DAS has been alright for me. It’s sad that there was such a hard line stance by Disney regarding the families whose children have various types of autism.

Wow, I didn’t realize how long this has become! For what it’s worth, I have nerve damage due to multiple infections in my lower back due a failed back surgery from a work injury. I have issues standing, walking, sitting or lying down. I can last about 4 hours at a park before going back to our DVC (since 1998) room. We usually go back to a park for dinner and fireworks or just fireworks. I guess fireworks won’t happen this time. 🙁 I hope I don’t come across as bitter. I am lucky to be alive and fortunate to be married 35 years to the best most understanding wife ever!

Stamina and mobility issues do not qualify for a DAS. The standard response is using a wheelchair or ECV. You dont have to use it the entire time.

the DAS is tied to your magic band now. The DAS holder must scan their MB first before the party is allowed to enter the line.

Apparently, my condition has met their standards for 8 years........standing,sitting,lying for long periods causes extreme pain. It isn’t stamina......I can only last about 4 hour before the pain is overwhelming.

First of all, I'm genuinely sorry about your mobility issues. I can certainly relate; I "lost" my Jan 2021 trip due to emergency back surgery (woke up and had no feeling below the waist, so that's an instant FP+ to the OR with my Neurosurgeon!). Spent New Years Eve (our 34th anniversary!) and a few days after that in hospital, feeling sorry for myself; every time a Disney World commercial came on TV it was literally like rubbing salt in the wound!

I've had to use mobility devices at WDW for years. I understand how it feels to have someone tell you to "just use a wheelchair"; I fought it *hard* for a long time. And then, finally, one day at EPCOT I had to give in, and I rented a scooter - called Walker, and they brought one all the way into the Park for me, because there was no way I was going to be able to get back to the front of the Park to get a scooter at that point. I *ugly* cried, I was just sure I had ruined everything, and I was too young to use a scooter, and, and, and... you get the picture.

But then later that night, my family was all dragging their behinds behind them, and I was - for the first time in *years* - still ready to go do things. I said "Let's go to Disney Springs, and grab a late snack, and some Adult Beverages and listen to some live music!" They said "Who are you? And what did you do with our tired old rabbit mama?" LOL The next morning, I woke up, and actually felt like I was on vacation - my joints, my back, were all not hurting so bad that I could barely creep from bench to retaining wall to QS seating... I got on that hateful scooter, and was able to go go go and keep up with my family! I didn't realize until then how much I had slowed them down over the years.

Using a mobility device is no different than using any other *tool* to get a job done. If you can't see well, you use glasses to improve your vision. If you can't hear well, you use a hearing aid to hear better. And if you can't move around well... then it's an ECV or a wheelchair/powerchair, or even a Rollator that is the best possible tool for you to use.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Since you have had a DAS in the past, you can always start the conversation at Guest Services by simply saying that you are there to renew your DAS from a previous visit.

That will help set the expectation with the CM - then just be prepared to explain why you can't wait in the standard queue environment while using a mobility device (if you have chosen to use one on that trip).

I do not use the DAS - although I probably could have one, I don't even apply for it. Using an ECV, and my family creating a "bubble" around me in lines, and as we move through the Parks is mostly what I need. Nearly every single queue at WDW is now "mainstreamed" so that you can take a standard mobility device all the way through the lines.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Welcome to our corner of the DISboards - and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about mobility devices at WDW 🙂

From my understanding if you have used the DAS in the past it is already on file for them to see. In my case I went to guest relations outside of MK and just told them I needed to renew my DAS. She scanned my magicband and found it and simply applied it to my current trip with my dd. No explanation of why I needed it took place. Good luck.

Reactions: PBB
From my understanding if you have used the DAS in the past it is already on file for them to see. In my case I went to guest relations outside of MK and just told them I needed to renew my DAS. She scanned my magicband and found it and simply applied it to my current trip with my dd. No explanation of why I needed it took place. Good luck.

They didn't ask any questions at all? That's not good, IMO - I think they need to make sure nothing has changed since the last time.

The DAS process has not changed, the FP line is still open for a few services such as DAS holders. If asking to renew your DAS doesn't work, perhaps starting off by saying you are unable to sit for long periods would head them off right away so they don't tell you to rent a wheelchair/scooter to solve the problem.

Would something like a rollator work? I often have a hard time finding a spot to sit at Disney when I need it and since you are going over spring break you may find the same problem (especially now that everyone needs to be stationary and off to the side to eat or drink). If you are feeling well you can park the rollator with the strollers and just move it from land to land as you make your way through the park but it would be nearby if you need it. It could also come in handy when waiting for the bus/monorail/skyliner. Just a thought.

They didn't ask any questions at all? That's not good, IMO - I think they need to make sure nothing has changed since the last time.

They do not. They ask why and thats it. We use DAS as our daughter has both generalized anxiety and a sensory processing disorder, both diagnosed by actual doctors ;). Im not sure anxiety would even qualify but the sensory processing disorder does. We always bring our printed out diagnosis signed by our doctors but they never never ask. Im glad more people don't know this as it would be very easy to abuse.

Last edited:
They do not. They ask why and thats it. We use DAS as our daughter has both generalized anxiety and a sensory processing disorder, both diagnosed by actual doctors ;). Im not sure anxiety would even qualify but the sensory processing disorder does. We always bring our printed out diagnosis signed by our doctors but they never never ask. Im glad moire people don't know this as it would be very easy to abuse.
You can’t necessarily count on not being asked why you need DAS when renewing (what the issues are, not the diagnosis).
Guests do not need to bring proof of disability and CMs are supposed to politely decline to look at it if a guest brings it. What issues the person has that prevent waiting in line is the important piece, not the diagnosis - people with the same diagnosis may have different issues and some may not have issues with waiting in the regular line.

My daughter has multiple issues with waiting in line. We have used DAS since it came out and the previous Guest Assistance Card before that. Pre- COVID we made 2 trips a year to WDW. We do sometimes get asked questions when renewing, sometimes not even though the CM is able to find her in the system.
Other people have reported the same experience.

We have had the same experience. I don’t have any issue with explaining my issues. It just didn’t sit well with me being told “You need to be in a wheelchair”. That’s not his place to give opinions.

Thank you! I wish it was as simple as getting a wheelchair. I have used a cane on occasion, unfortunately, they are little kid magnets at WDW! I have had my cane knocked out my hand several times as the kids were running to the next ride. If there was a tool to relieve the constant pain I am all for it.

My whole frustration at Epcot was I am 57 year old man who asked for help. I explained my condition to a point. This is the part where I state I am a believer in the ADA. As a disabled person, I don’t have to explain what I have and I don’t have to give every single detail. Why ? It is our civil right.

If I don’t qualify for there pass so be it. I just don’t need a guest relations person who has no medical background, training or qualification injecting his/her opinion of how to treat my condition. That just isn’t their role. Disney should have trained him better. I can’t sit, stand or lie down for long periods of time because of pain that it brings me. When I say I can’t last 4 hours it’s not stamina. It’s inflammation that impinges the nerves that were damaged by 8 weeks of IV Antibiotics that were needed to protect my heart from 2 different infections. I was lucky to get out the whole thing alive. Sorry...... I know you get all of this. For some reason, I expected more at kindness and consideration from Guest Relations.

First of all, I'm genuinely sorry about your mobility issues. I can certainly relate; I "lost" my Jan 2021 trip due to emergency back surgery (woke up and had no feeling below the waist, so that's an instant FP+ to the OR with my Neurosurgeon!). Spent New Years Eve (our 34th anniversary!) and a few days after that in hospital, feeling sorry for myself; every time a Disney World commercial came on TV it was literally like rubbing salt in the wound!

I've had to use mobility devices at WDW for years. I understand how it feels to have someone tell you to "just use a wheelchair"; I fought it *hard* for a long time. And then, finally, one day at EPCOT I had to give in, and I rented a scooter - called Walker, and they brought one all the way into the Park for me, because there was no way I was going to be able to get back to the front of the Park to get a scooter at that point. I *ugly* cried, I was just sure I had ruined everything, and I was too young to use a scooter, and, and, and... you get the picture.

But then later that night, my family was all dragging their behinds behind them, and I was - for the first time in *years* - still ready to go do things. I said "Let's go to Disney Springs, and grab a late snack, and some Adult Beverages and listen to some live music!" They said "Who are you? And what did you do with our tired old rabbit mama?" LOL The next morning, I woke up, and actually felt like I was on vacation - my joints, my back, were all not hurting so bad that I could barely creep from bench to retaining wall to QS seating... I got on that hateful scooter, and was able to go go go and keep up with my family! I didn't realize until then how much I had slowed them down over the years.

Using a mobility device is no different than using any other *tool* to get a job done. If you can't see well, you use glasses to improve your vision. If you can't hear well, you use a hearing aid to hear better. And if you can't move around well... then it's an ECV or a wheelchair/powerchair, or even a Rollator that is the best possible tool for you to use.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Since you have had a DAS in the past, you can always start the conversation at Guest Services by simply saying that you are there to renew your DAS from a previous visit.

That will help set the expectation with the CM - then just be prepared to explain why you can't wait in the standard queue environment while using a mobility device (if you have chosen to use one on that trip).

I do not use the DAS - although I probably could have one, I don't even apply for it. Using an ECV, and my family creating a "bubble" around me in lines, and as we move through the Parks is mostly what I need. Nearly every single queue at WDW is now "mainstreamed" so that you can take a standard mobility device all the way through the lines.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Welcome to our corner of the DISboards - and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about mobility devices at WDW 🙂

Thank you! I wish it was as simple as getting a wheelchair. I have used a cane on occasion, unfortunately, they are little kid magnets at WDW! I have had my cane knocked out my hand several times as the kids were running to the next ride. If there was a tool to relieve the constant pain I am all for it.

My whole frustration at Epcot was I am 57 year old man who asked for help. I explained my condition to a point. This is the part where I state I am a believer in the ADA. As a disabled person, I don’t have to explain what I have and I don’t have to give every single detail. Why ? It is our civil right.

If I don’t qualify for there pass so be it. I just don’t need a guest relations person who has no medical background, training or qualification injecting his/her opinion of how to treat my condition. That just isn’t their role. Disney should have trained him better. I can’t sit, stand or lie down for long periods of time because of pain that it brings me. When I say I can’t last 4 hours it’s not stamina. It’s inflammation that impinges the nerves that were damaged by 8 weeks of IV Antibiotics that were needed to protect my heart from 2 different infections. I was lucky to get out the whole thing alive. Sorry...... I know you get all of this. For some reason, I expected more at kindness and consideration from Guest Relations.

You are correct that CMs can’t ask what your condition is, but they can and should ask what that condition causes that makes it impossible for you to wait in a regular queue. And it is perfectly acceptable and not a violation of the ADA for a CM to deny a DAS if the reason you give doesn’t meet the criteria for a DAS.

I get it - I do.

And I understand that you don't have to explain anything to anyone under the ADA. But as @OurBigTrip was saying just above, at the end of the day, it's Disney's Park(s) and so Disney's Rules. (I know - you know, you get that).

Disney's rules spring from (in WDW's case, almost exactly 50 years) of experience dealing with Guests of all types, including those are who are considered disabled. As I am willing to bet you know (because it sounds like you are an experienced visitor to WDW) the old GAC system was abused by non-disabled people who were seeking the same "privileges" that disabled Guests were being afforded. (I would happily give up those "privileges" to be rid of my disabilities, but another topic for a different day, right?) This led to several different kinds of "scams" that were regularly being perpetrated at Guest Relations as non-disabled Guests sought the GAC, and the "front of the line" access it once afforded.

Disney's ultimate response was to end the GAC, and start the DAS. And the *primary* question that is asked when a Guest seeks the DAS is "Why can't you stand in the regular queue with everyone else". That's it - that's all you (or me, or anyone else) has to answer. When they changed from the GAC to the DAS, Disney decided that mobility issues would be served through the use of wheelchairs, scooters, Rollators and other personal mobility aids; and that if the Guests need could be met with a personal mobility device of some kind, they were asked to use that, and enter the queues with all other Guests, because the queues have (almost all) been "mainstreamed" and all devices allowed in Disney Parks should "fit" within those queues.

Those who can use the queues, do so with a mobility assistance device of some kind, and no DAS return time. Those who are not served by a mobility device are given a DAS, and utilize the "return time" system to simulate standing in the queue, while allowing them to wait outside the standard queue environment. The DAS no longer has the "front of the line" privilege it once did; although it does often utilize the FastPass+ queue entrances at most rides/attractions, there is often still a (shorter) wait inside because you wind up mixed in with the FP+ folks.

I know. You probably know all of this history - but maybe it will helpful to someone else who comes along in the future and reads this, right?

So, here we are with your situation, and you are one of those folks who is in pain no matter what you do. Stand too long, sit too long, walk too long... any of it causes you pain. And that is a situation where the DAS does stumble a bit - admittedly (in my opinion) it doesn't really allow for a case like yours.

When someone in your situation talks to the CM at the GR, you have to remember that if they hear you talk about mobility issues in any form, that's like a trigger - to them, that means you have a mobility issue, and therefore, your issue is resolved via the use of a mobility device (yours, or a rental). Thanks, have a great day at Disney World!

Of course, in your case, that's not necessarily true. Here on the DISboards, we don't give out "scripts" or "magic words" to make a DAS appear, because that's in direct violation of the rules. But we can help you brainstorm some alternative strategies to help your next visit to the Parks be more comfortable, regardless of whether you get a DAS or not.

My personal best advice for you would be to try a Rollator - a Rollator is basically a walker with a seat (and a handy basket or bag under the seat, typically). Make sure it is the right size for your height and weight - that's important for all day comfort. The Rollator will give you something to lean on while walking or standing, a place to sit whenever, wherever you need it, and is light enough to be easily loaded in and out of a vehicles trunk or cargo area.

Additionally, I would recommend that you ask the people who travel with you to WDW (friends/family) to help you by creating a "bubble" in queues and as you move through the Parks, so that you can have some space to move back and forth if that helps. Right now with the line spacing for the pandemic, you should be OK, but in "normal" times, having someone in your party stand back a bit, and then just help maintain that 6 foot or so "bubble" to give you space to move if needed might prove helpful?

And last, but not least, I would say that remembering First Aid as a possible place to lay down for 30 minutes or so to help alleviate pain and swelling might be a good strategy, and then others in your group can go on and go shopping, or just meet with you at a designated time somewhere nearby. First Aid is marked on all the Parks maps, and has proven to be a Godsend for many of us here over the years. (Bonus extra: they have Tylenol, which is not a cure-all, but can be helpful when your central nervous system gets overloaded from pain)

I'm truly not trying to be condescending - I sincerely hope you understand that. Your situation is so difficult, and I am personally well aware of how hard pain makes dealing with anything - or everything, especially and including Disney World. We have folks here with all kinds of conditions, and we all love Disney; maybe together, we can help you find some ways to be more comfortable at the Parks and have more enjoyable, less painful days there!

We have gotten the DAS for my son for several years. Normally we just ask to renew and because he is on file, they update his picture and that's about it.

When we went in August, we were peppered with questions. It went beyond the "why" to "what happens." It was the strictest I've seen it, even moreso than when we initially received one, and threw us off a bit. I don't know if they were being extra strict because of the lack of fast passes or what, but just be prepared that it may be another extended discussion.

We have gotten the DAS for my son for several years. Normally we just ask to renew and because he is on file, they update his picture and that's about it.

When we went in August, we were peppered with questions. It went beyond the "why" to "what happens." It was the strictest I've seen it, even moreso than when we initially received one, and threw us off a bit. I don't know if they were being extra strict because of the lack of fast passes or what, but just be prepared that it may be another extended discussion.
that you for the information I was caught of Gard the first time I asked for a das and just stood there for a few minutes. any ways it helps to know they were stricter for you so I can be prepared when I go back

We have had the same experience. I don’t have any issue with explaining my issues. It just didn’t sit well with me being told “You need to be in a wheelchair”. That’s not his place to give opinions.

Others have stated it as well, but basically, your issue is a mobility one and that doesn't qualify for the DAS. There are tools available for you to handle your issues, and a DAS isn't going to get you a place to sit when you need one, or on any attraction faster. It just gets you out of a standby queue one wait at a time. And that wait has no guaranteed seat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter