Has anyone with motion sickness attempted Guardians while taking meds (dramamine, bonine, etc.?)

We are taking my son's girlfriend to Disney next week and I know she has some motion sickness issues (in the car, she needs to sit in the backseat, in the middle or can feel queezy). She can ride some rollercoasters at a local theme park (though feels sick after a few), but has never been on a simulator type ride. I've told her that some rides will likely not work well for her, but being her first time at Disney, she wants to do them all. Is there anything I can do to help? Pros and cons of meds? Do the motion sick bands work for rides? Patches? Have her just close her eyes on the ride? I just don't know how to help her, as none of my family has any issues. I know everyone is different, I just want to have a few things on hand to try if she has problems.

Thank you!

I wouldn’t suggest eyes closed on rides. I did that once, big mistake 🤣🤣

Has she tried any of the bands or does she have time to try some before the trip. Maybe see if one will work for her before you go. I tend to think most things work differently for different people.

Something that has helped me on motion rides like Flight of Passage and Soarin and even tea cups is to find an item that doesn’t move as much and focus on that rather than the screens focal point. For example, in Soarin when flying over a mountain, look at a cloud in the background. On teacups, focus on someone else in your cup rather than watching everything else spinning.

Good luck, I hope something helps and she and the rest of you all can enjoy your adventure!

We are taking my son's girlfriend to Disney next week and I know she has some motion sickness issues (in the car, she needs to sit in the backseat, in the middle or can feel queezy). She can ride some rollercoasters at a local theme park (though feels sick after a few), but has never been on a simulator type ride. I've told her that some rides will likely not work well for her, but being her first time at Disney, she wants to do them all. Is there anything I can do to help? Pros and cons of meds? Do the motion sick bands work for rides? Patches? Have her just close her eyes on the ride? I just don't know how to help her, as none of my family has any issues. I know everyone is different, I just want to have a few things on hand to try if she has problems.

Thank you!
Please read this thread as it contains a lot of helpful information.

You may also wish to do a search for ‘motion sickness’ on this board as there are many existing threads.

I can actually speak to this now that I’ve ridden it. I have always taken Bonine for motion sickness and it works just as well for me on Cosmic Rewind. Sitting in the middle also helped. I also found having something in my stomach rather than riding on an empty one oddly helped; not a lot, just a snack. The only time I felt a bit “off” afterwards was my first ride when I hadn’t eaten.

Thank you!
We ALL have some issues in our family. One thing that I swear helped a ton for us was meclizine. I bought a fairly large amount for cheap on Amazon. We all started taking it the night before we left, and every night until we got home. It was the least car sick we’d every gotten on the drive down, and on rides. Tummy yummy ginger candies also worked wonders.

Thank you all! I've ordered a few things for her to try, including Bonine and ginger chews. Got my fingers crossed!

This is such a helpful thread, thanks to everyone who contributed. You've convinced me to try for GOG... I usually can't do spinning, avoid teacups even... but will try parks this time with meclizine.

I rode for the first time today. I do well with most simulators and coasters, but not this. It's the backwards launch and spinning cars that did me in. Probably the only ride at the big Florida parks I can't handle. Cobras Curse at BG is another I can do without.

One other tidbit I didn't like about the ride. Big story build up before the ride, and then difficult to follow the conclusion on the coaster. Maybe it was me just not liking the sensory overload, but felt it could have done with some slower sections to advance the narrative. Kinda how Mummy does.

I rode for the first time today. I do well with most simulators and coasters, but not this. It's the backwards launch and spinning cars that did me in. Probably the only ride at the big Florida parks I can't handle. Cobras Curse at BG is another I can do without.

One other tidbit I didn't like about the ride. Big story build up before the ride, and then difficult to follow the conclusion on the coaster. Maybe it was me just not liking the sensory overload, but felt it could have done with some slower sections to advance the narrative. Kinda how Mummy does.
It’s very much a ride where you might just be better off enjoying the vibe instead of trying to track the story/dialogue at first. I had no idea what was going on the first time I rode, after that I had a better feel for things so I could pay better attention to the surroundings.

Of course, if you DONT enjoy the vibe, then that’s a different story.

Hi everyone!
I am wondering if anyone can suggest a strategy to combat both motion sickness and ride anxiety at the same time. I’m talking medication! Does anyone have experience with bonine, or something else? Of maybe an alcoholic beverage? Probably won’t help the motion sickness though lol. If anyone could advise me I would greatly appreciate it 🙏🏻

Hi everyone!
I am wondering if anyone can suggest a strategy to combat both motion sickness and ride anxiety at the same time. I’m talking medication! Does anyone have experience with bonine, or something else? Of maybe an alcoholic beverage? Probably won’t help the motion sickness though lol. If anyone could advise me I would greatly appreciate it 🙏🏻
I wouldn’t mix motion sickness medication with alcohol…. Just don’t go on the “thrill” rides. Disney has tons of dark rides. The vast majority of Disney’s rides are not thrill rides.

I wouldn’t mix motion sickness medication with alcohol…. Just don’t go on the “thrill” rides. Disney has tons of dark rides.
Yes, but I want to push through my fear and ride them. I’ve been to Disney a ton of times and sat out but this time I would like to experience everything as in ROR, TOT, EE, guardians of the galaxy..

Yes, but I want to push through my fear and ride them. I’ve been to Disney a ton of times and sat out but this time I would like to experience everything as in ROR, TOT, EE, guardians of the galaxy..
Alcohol and Bonine have a synergistic effect. I would strongly recommend not taking both at the same time.

Alcohol and Bonine have a synergistic effect. I would strongly recommend not taking both at the same time.
No I won’t at the same time but which one, if any? Or just mind over matter? I’m just looking for advice or suggestions except for don’t ride them. I’ve done that for 20 years and I’d like to conquer my fears

No I won’t at the same time but which one, if any? Or just mind over matter? I’m just looking for advice or suggestions except for don’t ride them. I’ve done that for 20 years and I’d like to conquer my fears
So, the answer is going to be really personal to you and your specific circumstances. Generally speaking alcohol to treat anxiety is a bad idea. In an ideal world you might be able to get it under control with various breathing exercises, especially immediately before getting on the ride. (Here’s an example, from a quick google search of videos): https://www.priorygroup.com/blog/breathing-exercises-for-anxiety#:~:text=Inhale for a short period,of anxiety for any improvements.

You could also speak with your doctor about anti-anxiety medication, but I don’t know that i would do that to ride theme park rides. I’d definitely try practicing breathing exercises at home so you’re good at them, and then try them in the parks. Just concentrate on the breathing and not on the ride you’re about to go on.

There's no upside to alcohol.

I'd take the Bonine and just go for it. ROTR is the tamest of the rides you mentioned, so I would try that first and see how you feel. Then maybe Slinky Dog or 7DMT.

I would try motion sickness medicine instead of going the alcohol route.

I can't speak for Guardians of the Galaxy since I haven't been on that, but I'll say that Rock N Rollercoaster tends to bang my head around too much and I can't tolerate it. It's just not a fun ride for me.

Personally the thrill rides give me a bit of an adrenaline rush and I love that feeling I get when we go downhill or the drop on Tower of Terror.

Some people close their eyes for the first time on the rides (my older sister did and she was terrified of these rides).

I hope you find a way to conquer your fear because these are some fun rides and worth doing atleast once.

I did Tron (my first coaster in nearly 6 years) last week. I had some apprehension about it, but then I listened to the theme music playing, opted to ride the car at the end (not the bike) and told myself to enjoy the ride knowing it doesn't do crazy, adrenaline speeds/loops/etc. My mind overcame my anxiety, and I came off with the biggest smile yearning for more (middle-aged male).

RotR was very tame. It's a mindset of knowing there is nothing to be concerned about and taking in the marvel of the technology.

Hi everyone!
Your question has been merged with a thread that already contains a lot of valuable information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter