• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone used WiFi calling and how does it work?

71 Truck

Visiting the Magic Since 1973
When my wife and I get on the ship, after calling family to let them know we will call them when we get back the phones are turned off and they are locked up. We are on vacation and do not want to be connected to a phone, this is why we get the basic paper Navigator from guest services.

With that said we do buy the WiFi package so in case a family member really needs to get us (both parents are in their 80s) they can send an email that my wife checks a couple times a day on her tablet. If we have to we can call from the ship phone however that is very expensive and have only done it once to wish someone a happy birthday.

We are planning our next cruise and just found out one of our phones has WiFi calling so we set it up. We have never used WiFi calling before and are not sure if or how it works on the ship. Also what quality are the phone calls? Is it as easy as just connecting to the ships WiFi and making a call or is there some sort of setup that has to be done once on the ship?

This would only be used if someone really needed to contact us and the phone would be turned off when not needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, wifi calling will work on board ship. However you need to be connected to the ship's wifi network, which may require a fee.

It depends on the bandwidth you get on the ship, but we’ve used it before and it worked just fine. Call quality was just the same. Sometimes it took the phone a few seconds to start the call, but other than that we plan to use it every time we cruise.

Make sure you enable WiFi calling on the phone before you get on the ship. There's a minor bit of 'setup' it has to do (at least, mine did when I enabled it), and it would be easier to do that on land when you have better connectivity.

Would FaceTime work if you had an iPhone and the WiFi package? That way no need to set anything up (if all have iPhones). I don't usually buy the WiFi package. I have not tried calling when on the ships, when in port with a WiFi signal I used FaceTime a few times to call friends and family. In Aruba, too without an international plan and was not charged.

@Mle8308 That is a thought, but I have Android phones. Is there an Android option that you know that would be similar? Personally I, like the orignal poster, put the phone away and don't plan on using it but my dad is 82 and I do like to check on him while I am gone. I tell him to email me but a Facetime type app might work if he can figure it out on his end.

@Mle8308 That is a thought, but I have Android phones. Is there an Android option that you know that would be similar? Personally I, like the orignal poster, put the phone away and don't plan on using it but my dad is 82 and I do like to check on him while I am gone. I tell him to email me but a Facetime type app might work if he can figure it out on his end.
Honestly, I am not sure, I've always been an Apple products person. Maybe Skype??? Hopefully there are some Android users here!

Would FaceTime work if you had an iPhone and the WiFi package? That way no need to set anything up (if all have iPhones). I don't usually buy the WiFi package. I have not tried calling when on the ships, when in port with a WiFi signal I used FaceTime a few times to call friends and family. In Aruba, too without an international plan and was not charged.
Yes, I think FaceTime works if you have the middle or high-level internet package (I don't think the basic level allows for video).

Gmail has a video call function. Skype is also an option. Facebook and Snapchat also both have video call functionality, though not sure if your Dad has either of those apps.

Yes, I think FaceTime works if you have the middle or high-level internet package (I don't think the basic level allows for video).
I've used FaceTime with no package! I think it's a hole that works because iMessage works.

I didn't intend to figure that out, but my mom was in the hospital when I was on the Fantasy last year and she FaceTimed me and it worked!

Wifi calling didn't work for us when we were onboard. We use it 100% of the time at home, so it was all set up correctly, but it wouldn't work onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter