Has anyone used Turo to rent a car?

AnnaKristoff2013

DIS Veteran
My family has a trip coming up where we are flying into SFB in a few weeks. Car rental prices are insane (and we need a large SUV or minivan to fit our family plus luggage & double stroller), but Turo seems to be about half the price of going through the major car rental companies. In addition, it looks like they deliver the car right to the airport (at least the hosts I was looking at). It makes me a little nervous though. Has anyone used them?

Never used them but have seen older threads on here or you can search around on-line for people commenting on their experience. You are basically renting a car from a private party and some of the things that can go wrong is if the person doesn't show-up when/where you agree then you are stuck with no transportation. When returning the vehicle if at the airport and they don't show up, do you want to risk missing your flight? Others have commented about endlessly haggling with the person when they return the car about excessive 'wear/tear'. I would hope they have the right type of car insurance since when someone uses their vehicle as part of a business it requires different coverage (similar to those on-line taxi companies), but likely you will never know that for sure until you have an accident. So if all goes well, you might save a few dollars, if not are you willing to take that risk?

I would personally never let a stranger use my car, but apparently it works for some to make a few $$$ on the side giving out their vehicle.

Last edited:
I used Turo recently on a trip to Hawaii. We had great success and loved getting to pick the specific car we wanted. They were able to drop off and pick up at our desired location. I recommend booking through an "all star" host.

I tried pricing a Turo car for my trip. After all the fees, delivery fee, having to pay for insurance, it would have cost about the same as renting right from the airport. My insurance company doesn't cover accidents from a car rented through Turo, though one from a rental company would be covered.

I would personally never let a stranger use my car, but apparently it works for some to make a few $$$ on the side giving out their vehicle.

I've seen some of these people actually have a small fleet of cars, specifically for use through this service. They aren't renting their own everyday car, but ones bought especially to make money with.

We used Tito in Phoenix it was great. I was very leery about the process, but the guy we rented from gave very clear instructions on where to locate the car and off we went! Make sure if you do this to video the entire car in and out before and after use.

We have rented with Turo many times, and in particular have rented at MCO 10+ times with our most recent rental in June. It was actually our most interesting experience yet. Let me preface this by saying we love Turo and highly recommend it - we like to know exactly what vehicle we are getting and find it faster and cheaper than standard rental companies. The interesting part of this last rental was more to do with MCO than Turo. Upon returning to the airport, the main parking garages were full. We had to be directed to a “satellite” parking location and communicate with our owner about the change. No big deal, we just hopped a bus to the main terminal and all was well. The added time was the only part that made things a little rough because we had cut it a bit close on getting to the airport in the first place. But our host was great and it all worked really well.

I rented a car through Turo for 10 days. I stayed on Disney property the first 3 and last 3 days. The other 10 days at an Airbnb off of 192, where I needed a car. The host lived 5 minutes from Magic Kingdom and the only cost over the $30 a day charge, was $15 each way to pick up car and after returning car. The car had 135,000 miles on it but ran fine. Great gas mileage. I’d definitely rent from him again on future trips to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter