Has Anyone Slept With The Veranda Doors Open?!

LADYnTRAMP

<font color=FF66FF>Is living proof that begging wo
On our next cruise we'll have a Veranda for the first time and I'm very excited about it. My 16 yo DD and almost 11 yo DS (very mature by the way) will be with us. I thought it might be nice to sleep with the Veranda doors open to get some fresh air maybe hear the water. We'll be cruising mid October. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks? :)

We tried it in July and August and it was just too humid...as soon as you opened the veranda door the humidity level in the cabin shot up. It then took quite awhile for the cabin to cool back down to a comfortable level.

I might try it again if I was sailing in the fall.

MJ

I've only cruised in December and that is the perfect time to sleep with the verandah doors open as we've done each time we cruised. October might be humid, but probably not quite as bad as mid summer!
If you do have great weather, it's the best sound and smell to have that open while falling asleep.
I wish I could bottle it up and take it with me!!
Have fun!! :D

Hey Emily,

Yesterday I almost bought a pretty close imitation of that smell. Don't know if you have Yankee Candle Co. in your area but they have a candle called Bay Breeze. I swear when I smelled it even the salt twang was there!

Deb

we had our veranda doors open all night and every night when we cruised in January. I plan to do the same when we cruise in October as long as the weather cooperates. it was such a relaxing experience, between the breeze from the ocean and listening to the water. oh I can't wait for October now.

We kept the doors open as much as possible on our trip in November. Unfortunately, we had to close them a lot bc of the icky smker next door. But at night, it was delightful!

We DO have a Yankee Candle store. I know where I'll be this weekend!!
Thanks Deb!! :D

It then took quite awhile for the cabin to cool back down to a comfortable level.

Hi MJ. This happened to us on our first cruise last August. Each cabin has a built-in antidote, however. When the air becomes too stifling, close the verandah door and open your bathroom door. Flush the toilet with the lid up (just make sure to brace yourself). The suction literally sucks the humidity out of the air... as well as any dust, young children and fingerprints...

Unfortunately, we had to close them a lot bc of the icky smker next door.

Hi mcnuss. I planned ahead for that contingency. Brought along one of those multiple "fart sounds" toys. IF a smoker had been nearby, I planned to simply press the buttons a few times and say, "Oops, excuse me!" Whatever works...

I was just reminded of a "family" story which I'll share with you on an abbreviated basis. My son took up the trombone at school. He brought the instrument home to practice. On the first evening, my Mom was visiting. She was sitting near my son while the dear lad prepared to perform his first practice. As we waited, I was busy in the kitchen - within hearing distance. From the other room came a loud, grossly human "PPFFFFFFttttttt." I yelled out,
"Mom, please... no one is in the bathroom." My son started laughing. It wasn't my Mom. The grossly human "PPFFFFFFttttttt" was actually my son's first practice note on the trombone. He will tell people, with glee, that, "My Daddy thought my very first note was my Grandma passing gas!"

I would love more than anything to sleep with the veranda door open but I'm afraid that it will be too humid during our cruise plus with a 4 & 5 yr old I would be nervous.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! In the meantime, I think I'm off to the Yankee Candle Co.! Yes I agree, Buckaroo's Dad is TOO funny! Thanks! :p

OK CALL ME CRAZY BUT...LAST YEAR I CONSIDERED LEAVING THE DOOR OPEN , BUT THERE WERE A FEW MORNINGS WHEN WE DOCKED WHERE SEAGULLS AND SOME OTHER BIRDS WERE LINED ALONG OUR VERANDAH RAILING-MY FEAR WAS" IF I LEAVE IT OPEN IT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE A SCENE FROM HITCHCOCK'S THE BIRDS?"!!! dID ANYONE ELSE HAVE BIRDS OR WAS I JUST BLESSED? :p

Our last cruise was the first with a verandah, and we left the doors open every night. It was wonderful! We'll be leaving in 29 days for a 7 night Eastern cruise and I just can't wait to do this again! There's nothing like falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. (Last cruise was in May also, so the humidity is not too bad yet.)

BTW, I never had a problem with the birds! But then again...I am usually up with the chickens anyway, so they probably never had a chance to get in!

I'm afraid that it will be too humid during our cruise plus with a 4 & 5 yr old I would be nervous.

In August it may be too humid. It just depends, me, I'd rather be hot and hear the ocean. I hate a/c.

As for your kids, you could block their access or leave the door ajar instead of fully open.

dID ANYONE ELSE HAVE BIRDS OR WAS I JUST BLESSED?

Hi thedisneymom. No birds ON our verandah railing. However, FROM the railing I think I could see a Carnival cruiser trying to give me a "bird"... lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter