Has anyone seen a cockroach in an MDR?

Yeah any kind of fake bug or mouse would have me screaming so loud the entire dining room would think I was being murdered.

I would have a literal panic attack, as would one of my kids who is deathly afraid of large insects. To say it would ruin our meal would be an understatement.

I would have a literal panic attack, as would one of my kids who is deathly afraid of large insects. To say it would ruin our meal would be an understatement.

I completely agree! It seriously would potentially ruin our cruise... bugs are a definite no.

OP, what were the reactions of those in your group - were they horrified, did they report to head waiters / guest services, or did they genuinely find it funny? I'm wondering if maybe this is one of those things that is based on whether the server has "read the room" correctly.

So this cockroach thing DID actually happen to your mother too? I wonder if it’s just a few servers on the Fantasy - which doesn’t really help my stress because that’s what we’re sailing on in December.
It did happen. I don't want to say your worries are unfounded, but they don't do this prank to everyone.
And it is definitely NOT the first prank they did to us, so if you feel like your servers are getting a little too pranky for you say something!

Worst case scenario, they bring you an odd cookie that you didn't order. Now you know what to expect, and to not touch it.

We've learned from some servers that they share the pranks and toys, but not everyone uses them. Only a few do.

They deserve it.
Why, what didn’t you like about your Carnival cruise? What ship was it and how long ago?
Is this seriously a thing? For the love...WHY? This seems like something I would expect from Carnival, but Disney Cruise Line? Stop. This cannot actually be a thing that the cruise line management is okay with.
I’m gold on both Disney and Carnival and have never heard of anything like this on Carnival, only Disney. Interesting that Carnival gets accused of something that Disney actually is currently doing. As a restaurant owner I find this horribly gross and disgusting.

Why, what didn’t you like about your Carnival cruise? What ship was it and how long ago?
I’m gold on both Disney and Carnival and have never heard of anything like this on Carnival, only Disney. Interesting that Carnival gets accused of something that Disney actually is currently doing. As a restaurant owner I find this horribly gross and disgusting.

Well, I've been on 3 Carnival Cruises and 2 of them were freebies and I still won't ever sail them again. I was on the Fantasy, Elation, and Dream. It's just a low class experience all around and I don't like the clientele nor the vibe

Considering they just failed a ship inspection for dirty water and dead bugs on food on the buffet, I'm not too far off at all in saying this is something I'd expect to see on Carnival (a dead bug in the dining room).

https://www.newsweek.com/carnival-cruise-ship-fails-health-inspection-report-dead-flies-1453497

Well, I've been on 3 Carnival Cruises and 2 of them were freebies and I still won't ever sail them again. I was on the Fantasy, Elation, and Dream. It's just a low class experience all around and I don't like the clientele nor the vibe

Considering they just failed a ship inspection for dirty water and dead bugs on food on the buffet, I'm not too far off at all in saying this is something I'd expect to see on Carnival (a dead bug in the dining room).

https://www.newsweek.com/carnival-cruise-ship-fails-health-inspection-report-dead-flies-1453497
Not liking their clientele speaks volumes, thanks for the reply.

OP, what were the reactions of those in your group - were they horrified, did they report to head waiters / guest services, or did they genuinely find it funny? I'm wondering if maybe this is one of those things that is based on whether the server has "read the room" correctly.

Well, the woman posted because she had such a bad experience with this serving team (yes, she named them). One of the offending things was this cockroach. She said she tried to laugh it off, but it affected her the rest of the time. Fortunately for her, the cruise was only a 3 day. Anyway, she did not find it funny and was basically checking in with other people about their experiences because, yes, she was considering a call to guest services (after getting home). She was being discouraged from complaining though. 🙄

I’m super worried that any serving team might “read the room” and interpret my casualness for permission for this. And I resent having to be the one to bring up I don’t want to be pranked.

I'm beyond my college party days. Seems most passengers on this line are not. Not the vibe I want to expose my kids to on vacation. That's the extent of it, really.
Ok. I’ve only been on 7 and 8 night cruises on their new big ships and haven’t experienced that at all. Even as someone who doesn’t drink alcohol at all, I have a ton of fun on Carnival, the cruise directors we’ve experienced have been beyond excellent. I’ll never go on the 3 or 4 night cruises on the Fantasy class ships, granted I won’t ever do 3 or 4 night cruises period, 7 nights don’t even seem long enough anymore.

This is sorta opposite to the experiences we had with our main server and stateroom host. (Yes, this was on a Carnival ship, but don’t shoot me guys..this was 15 years ago and I was a child) my mother and I knew them from precious cruises and decided to prank both of them one day. We put a fake snake in our bed and a fake icecube with a fly in it in one of our drinks. Granted this was all in good fun and they both had a good laugh scaring the mess out of us at the end of the cruise.

I'm beyond my college party days. Seems most passengers on this line are not. Not the vibe I want to expose my kids to on vacation. That's the extent of it, really.

I’ve only sailed 7 nights with Carnival and didn’t notice a college party vibe. But whatever. I’m not one who thinks DCL is perfect by any stretch and I definitely think it’s tacky ... and ironic.... to accuse Carnival of being likely to do this when it’s really DCL doing it.

Well, the woman posted because she had such a bad experience with this serving team (yes, she named them). One of the offending things was this cockroach. She said she tried to laugh it off, but it affected her the rest of the time. Fortunately for her, the cruise was only a 3 day. Anyway, she did not find it funny and was basically checking in with other people about their experiences because, yes, she was considering a call to guest services (after getting home). She was being discouraged from complaining though. 🙄

I’m super worried that any serving team might “read the room” and interpret my casualness for permission for this. And I resent having to be the one to bring up I don’t want to be pranked.

I have to honestly believe this was a mostly isolated problem, and she absolutely should have complained. No one is obligated to laugh at a non-funny, hurtful (potentially) prank. And you shouldn’t have to bring that up at all.

We had a lovely server on the Fantasy, Sheree from the Philippines. She was excellent at her job and very kind to our kids - no pranks but some puzzles etc :)

I wouldn’t find this funny at all and now I’m worried about for our upcoming cruise. Any chance you know if her party included children or was adult only?

I would hate to get the server in trouble, but someone should complain so that DCL can let ALL servers know this is inappropriate. A big stuffed rat (aka, Remy) is one thing, but a realistic looking fake cockroach is gross.
As a restaurant owner and former Disney Operations Manager, that server/team needs to be reprimanded. That is a completely inappropriate prank and should never ever happen period. I don’t get worked up about much and always see the other side of the situation, but not here. There really is no other side, for it to happen once is disgusting, but multiple times on multiple sailings is reprehensible.

I honestly can’t believe that this thread isn’t lit up with condemnation.

I have two seven year olds that would be laughing their heads off about this--which I am guessing is why the servers did this. But I would HATE it. I would definitely say to the server (politely, because my kids would be watching) that I think that is a joke that might really frighten a lot of people and I myself was scared, and I don't think it is a good idea. I would also say the same to the head server.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter