Has anyone lied to their kid's school about being sick for Disney?

Taught 8th grade for 35 years.
Staff and students 'excused' for bereavement for up to 5 days.
Perhaps that avenue may work out?

I'm really curious...do you mind sharing what public school your child attends? I can only assume your region has some policy in place that allows parents to "choose" their school even if not in boundary? - Like a charter, but with a public school. Curious as to what they do with a student who is districted for their school - how a public school would get around the red tape and be allowed to push them out...also curious as to how the receiving school wouldn't balk at this. We've lived in many different states, however have never heard of a public school being allowed to refuse a student who is districted for their building - not based on pattern of severe/extreme behavior issues resulting in expulsion. Wondering how the funding is covered in these situations when talking about a public school.
Not sharing the school, but we are in California. You can do an intra-district transfer to another school, but in the case of this school they aren’t really taking transfers anymore except for certain situations (like an older sibling already attends the school). We know a student that had our school as his home school, but due to missing too many days was still disenrolled and moved to another school in the district with plenty of space. I also met a mom who moved to the district (missed initial enrollment) and hadn’t been able to get her child in since the grade was already full, and was very far down the waitlist. I’m not sure how all that works on the backend, but it definitely happens repeatedly.

When I was a little girl my parents always used to take Disneyland vacations on the weekends because if we went during the week it would interfere with my schoolwork but when I got older I had to write travel journals as homework assignments and I remember having to write a journal about my Minnesota trip when my dad went to a business seminar there and when I went camping with my aunt and cousin and parents I had to write about my camping trip too and when I got back to school I never was questioned about where I vacationed and the teachers loved my travel journals. But when I was sick with colds my mom would always call the school and say I couldn't attend due to a cold but I only got a doctor's excuse for a cold for school once and I had to show it to the teacher and she was fine with it. But I say if kids need to be taken out of school for a vacation make sure to take the vacation on a weekend because the kids will have something interesting to tell the teacher and classmates on Monday. But if a child has an illness or needs surgery they should be given time to be at home and if the child has had an operation the school should them lots of recovery time

First let me clarify that we do value education and don't pull our kids out of school for just any reason.

Last year I had to travel to Orlando for work and took my kid to Disney with us for a week. I was honest with the teacher ahead of time and was told not a problem have a great time.

Well then weeks later we get a letter saying we are in violation of attendance policy and could be prosecuted. The school district does not allow vacations and travel.

So now this year I have to go the same trip again and rather than being honest about it with the school I was just going to mark my kid sick. I feel so guilty though because I'm a terrible liar and I'm afraid the teacher will judge us and worse my child. However the whole family is really looking forward to this week and an extra day of family time and we really cherish the memories that we will make.

Any opinions?
Up until our children were in 6th grade we went to WDW the week prior to thanks giving. We would leave on Monday after school and return Sunday morning. We let the school know in advance and were given all of the work they needed to do for that week on the Monday when we leaving. We would go to the parks in the morning then back to the room to rest (nap) then they did school work ( we sent that days work to the teachers by email, this is the agreement we had with the school) and went back to the parks at night. This was back when the crowd calendar for this week was 2/10 to 3/10 so the place was pretty empty and could get on everything in the morning for that park. They did their school work a day early (did Tuesday's work on Monday on the airplane so by Thursday they were done for the week) We stopped pulling them out of school after 6th grade since the work was getting harder for both my wife and I to be able to help them with their school work, also this time period was when WDW just beginning to get popular in November before Thanksgiving week and more crowded. Sorry your school district is so strict.

Last edited:
Not sharing the school, but we are in California. You can do an intra-district transfer to another school, but in the case of this school they aren’t really taking transfers anymore except for certain situations (like an older sibling already attends the school). We know a student that had our school as his home school, but due to missing too many days was still disenrolled and moved to another school in the district with plenty of space. I also met a mom who moved to the district (missed initial enrollment) and hadn’t been able to get her child in since the grade was already full, and was very far down the waitlist. I’m not sure how all that works on the backend, but it definitely happens repeatedly.
Hmmm...interesting. I'll have to do some more digging into this. My philosophy on public education would generally go against this, however man would our jobs be waaayyyy easier if we were able to push kids out of our public school due to attendance. I'm not even talking oh your kid missed a week or 2 for a vacation, but are typically doing well in school. I'm talking about the students who consistently miss multiple days a week, are failing most, if not all of there classes who's parents seemingly don't care/feel they have no control. Again, not sure how it helps society as whole, however that would certainly make our jobs so much easier and would make our school look better. I just can't figure out how a publicly funded school would be allowed to do this. And again; how harmful is this to the other school/students and why does the receiving school not get a say so? Very interesting.

I'm really curious...do you mind sharing what public school your child attends? I can only assume your region has some policy in place that allows parents to "choose" their school even if not in boundary? - Like a charter, but with a public school. Curious as to what they do with a student who is districted for their school - how a public school would get around the red tape and be allowed to push them out...also curious as to how the receiving school wouldn't balk at this. We've lived in many different states, however have never heard of a public school being allowed to refuse a student who is districted for their building - not based on pattern of severe/extreme behavior issues resulting in expulsion. Wondering how the funding is covered in these situations when talking about a public school.
Some areas have school choice, ours does not, but you are not guaranteed a spot in the elementary school in your neighborhood due to overcrowding.

I got the "letter of shame" last year. DD missed 9 days, and they wanted doctors notes for every missed day. I emailed the attendance office and let them know I would not be taking her to the doctor to be exposed to other germs every time she was out.
Last year was tough for her, because we moved districts over the summer, then she missed the first week due to COVID. She was dxed with ADHD, and it took a few months for us to figure out that her "stomach pains" were related to that, and not actual illness.

I tried to avoid traveling on school days this year, but then the youngest got cancer, which led us to reschedule our spring break Disney trip. So, I'll send a note to the kids' schools to inform them that the kids will be out for vacation in early December. I will not lie. If someone pursues my kids' absences, then I will give them the whole story. The truancy policy is supposed to catch neglect cases. Once they see that my kids are perfectly "normal" neurotic little messes, they'll move on.

I will not lie. I'm bad at it anyway.
Probably, it won't even hit their radars, because they don't throw up a red flag until 5 unexcused absence, and parents can excuse 5 of the first 10. Our trip is close to the end of the semester, so we'll probably get an obligatory "letter of shame" for each of them, but nobody will actually care.

It depends on the school. Our public school has a very long waiting list, and they actively disenroll kids who exceed the number of allowed days. They will move them to another school in the district. Since our school is generally the one in the district people are trying to go to, it’s a pretty big incentive to not have your kids miss too many days. We missed one day for vacation this year and don’t plan on missing any more. We’re taking plenty of trips, but they’re planned for school breaks.
When I read this it seems so strange to me. I've never lived anywhere that there was a choice in schools other than private schools. Even in the state capital here, there are 4 elementary schools, and 2 high schools. Where you go is based on where you live in town and you can't choose to go to one or the other. If you don't like the school you have to move or pay for private school.

My kids are in 4th and 7th. I've never had an issue pulling them out for a week. And of course theres usually a few more days spread out over the year for other stuff, like wrestling tournaments or whatever. Last year my then 3rd grader missed the entire month of Dec bc he broke his leg and was in a cast to his groin so he needed help in the bathroom. Then we took him out another 3 days in Feb and a week in March for vacation. Even before 2020 75% of their work is done on a ipad and they can do that anywhere. So as long as they are not stuggling, I just take them, but I wouldn't lie about it.

But I also don't care about state testing so maybe don't listen to me lol

I had a lot of "weddings" in 9th grade and missed 4 days for two separate trips.

In 11th grade, I missed the entire week before Christmas for a trip, told my teachers and none of them cared (even the class I was getting a D in at the time:sad2:). I gave all my teachers 3 weeks' notice and did all my work except 1 test before I left. I was in all advanced classes, but also had a reputation for being hardworking and always being on top of everything so it wasn't a big deal.

I only did it once. We had already booked a Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights trip months in advance. The school had already released the holiday calendar. This was at the beginning of summer for an October trip. Well, at some point, they took away the holiday for Columbus Day/Indigenous People's Day. We were already committed to being gone. I sent a note saying he was sick. He's in high school, so he wasn't going to give up the game. I felt bad, but come on, release the schedule and stick to it, barring an emergency. We did take him out for my best friends' Disney wedding; I said it was for my sister's out of state wedding :rolleyes: He missed an entire day and 1 period. They excused it. We don't usually pull him out for vacations though, and he rarely had sick days. His grades are decent, but not as good as he could do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter