Has anyone had their daughter play an all male sport? Would you?

NO, that is not how it works. You're never allowed to check the goalie, a rule I disagree with but one I have to enforce as a referee.

Yep, you're right. You apparently are not allowed to hit the goalie - though it still happens! I guess I just never noticed penalties getting handed out for it.

I was the only girl in my little league baseball league. Softball was available, but I wanted to play real baseball. I was also the first girl ever on my local tackle football team, and one of three on my soccer team. It was fine, no major injuries, no problems. This was all when I was really young though. By age 11, I figured out that I would only ever be average at best in any sport, and I dropped them all in favor of getting more serious about theater and dance.

As a high schooler in the 80s I remember there was this boys' wrestling tournament at my high school and for whatever reason it was treated like a mandatory assembly where we were required to be there as part of our classes. And it was strange because several teams brought along their own mats in different school colors.

However, that was the first time I remember seeing a girl wrestle. Back then it was more of a novelty, and I think these days girls' wrestling is more accepted.
I'm pretty sure there was a Saved by the Bell storyline where one of the girls (Tory? Jesse?) decided to wrestle. It was a HUGE thing, with Mr. Belding alternately freaking out and trying to figure out how to get permission from the league. She was pretty good though.

I'm pretty sure there was a Saved by the Bell storyline where one of the girls (Tory? Jesse?) decided to wrestle. It was a HUGE thing, with Mr. Belding alternately freaking out and trying to figure out how to get permission from the league. She was pretty good though.
It was a guest star! And of course she dated Zach. :D

Having watched my son play lacrosse this season, I don't know if I would want my daughter (if I had one) play it.

Girls lacrosse is so widely different from boys lacrosse because of the physical-ness of the boys sport. My son regularly came home with various welts, bruises and bumps from all the times he'd get hit by sticks.
This would be my concern.

My question is how will she hold up to the boys physically in the different aspects of the "contact" level of this sport.

I would not allow a son or daughter play American football. I think it is an horrific thing to put their brains at risk when they are still growing and unable to make informed decisions for themselves.

However, my daughter did play baseball when she was in elementary school. She was the only girl in the league one year. She wanted to continue in middle school and was told to switch to softball. She was incredibly disappointed because they didn't even allow her to try out. I told her we could it fight it but it was 100% up to her. In the end she switched back to soccer.

Before you say soccer is danger is too, I did not allow her to do headers until she was 16.
FYI, the only concussion my daughter received in soccer was the result of no contact to the head. She collided with another player and landed on her rear hard. Got up and finished the game. No test was done because there was no indication of trauma to the head. We had not idea she'd suffered a concussion until a week later when she was having trouble playing and another player said her symptoms sounded like concussion symptoms. Had her take a test and she failed and was sidelines for 6 weeks.

I think it all depends on the daughter.

My dd plays soccer recreationally. She enjoys the sport and plays for fun indoor and outdoor. In her first league, U14 was coed. She absolutely did not want to play coed, nor did we want her to. She is thin and not aggressive. Her coach found another rec league for U14, but aged out of outdoors when they had to go to U16. That team still plays indoor as the complex they use goes from U6 to adult. Surprisingly, she now prefers indoor which is more aggressive (she still is not an aggressive player.)

For my child, I would never put her in a contact coed or male sport. But that is because that is an injury waiting to happen for her. Someone else's daughter may be really scrappy and can compete with the boys. All depends on the girl.

As for girls playing on boys teams, that's fine if no special allowances are given. If you are going to play with the boys, you have to play by their rules.

FYI, the only concussion my daughter received in soccer was the result of no contact to the head. She collided with another player and landed on her rear hard. Got up and finished the game. No test was done because there was no indication of trauma to the head. We had not idea she'd suffered a concussion until a week later when she was having trouble playing and another player said her symptoms sounded like concussion symptoms. Had her take a test and she failed and was sidelines for 6 weeks.
Yep, the only one my daughter had (and she played through college) was as a keeper getting kicked in the head by a striker. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter