Has anyone had the vet give them trouble about ordering pet meds online?

Maggie'sMom

DIS Veteran
I need a refill on my dog's heartworm medication. I've purchased it from our vet (at an inflated price, of course) in the past, but last night I placed an order for it through one of the online pet med sites. You have to provide the vet info so they can call and verify the prescription. I just got a call from the vet's office saying they don't approve prescriptions for the online sites and I have to purchase it from them. Of course, they are now offering to price match. This ticks me off. My doctor and medical insurance company don't dictate where I get my prescriptions filled. Why should my vet?

Has anyone experienced this? Am I overreacting to be upset?

Same thing happened here! I wanted to get lower prices and use my points, but the vet wouldn't approve the prescriptions!

Our vet actually suggested I use an online site for my dog's 2 rxs. She'll be on them the rest of her life, and they're like almost 5x the price from the vet.

I used to work for a vet and we wouldn't approve prescriptions for online sales either. Medical doctors get most of their money out of the procedures they do...an exam can cost $100 or more. Most vet's charge significantly lower for services and get a lot of their income out of meds, especially what they call "superproducts" like heartworm and flea medication that has a high mark up and everyone uses monthly. I was the office manager and anything that created a monthly billing was the bread and butter of our practice. Does it suck that they can mark the meds up that high, yeah. But I know my vet is lower than the local chain Pet Store.:confused3
Maybe you can find a different vet who will approve the rx...but I bet you'll find that you'll be paying more on other things to make up fo rit.

The main reason some vets won't call out an rx is because there is absolutely no way to guarantee that the product you're buying is real. There have been cases in which the meds were expired, the wrong dosage, or just plain fake. Pets have died from these situations.. to me, it's not worth the risk.

I might have a way around it. My ex's girlfriend is a vet and they've cared for my dog a couple times when I've been out of town. I'm going to see if she would approve the prescription.

If this is a common thing then I guess I'm stuck with it. But otherwise, I'm thinking it might be time to check out a new vet. I wasn't thrilled with something else they did earlier so this is just another reason for me to go elsewhere. I just chose them because the office is just around the corner from my house.

The main reason some vets won't call out an rx is because there is absolutely no way to guarantee that the product you're buying is real. There have been cases in which the meds were expired, the wrong dosage, or just plain fake. Pets have died from these situations.. to me, it's not worth the risk.

MTE!!!! I wouldn't risk my pets that way.

Our vet charges $5 per prescription if you want to buy it somewhere else. Its a little crazy.

If your vet is offering to match the online price, I'd take them up on the offer. That way you know you're getting quality meds, and you get the lower price. Win win, IMO.

I need a refill on my dog's heartworm medication. I've purchased it from our vet (at an inflated price, of course) in the past, but last night I placed an order for it through one of the online pet med sites. You have to provide the vet info so they can call and verify the prescription. I just got a call from the vet's office saying they don't approve prescriptions for the online sites and I have to purchase it from them. Of course, they are now offering to price match. This ticks me off. My doctor and medical insurance company don't dictate where I get my prescriptions filled. Why should my vet?

Has anyone experienced this? Am I overreacting to be upset?

If the vet is offering to price match what is the big deal?

Denise in MI

I would like our vet to price match as well. Less hassle than ordering and faxing the rx to petmeds, but their "discounted online" price is $99 compared to $82 at 800petmeds for 12 Heartgard pills. The vet says they are reliable.

If the vet is offering to price match what is the big deal?

Denise in MI

The big deal is that they never told me before that they would price match. They were more than happy to charge me 50% more than what the online price is. I've already made the purchase online so I'd have to see about getting that money refunded. And I see it as a money grab from a vet that already charges more for a well-visit than my doctor does. The vet charges $150 for just a well check. I hardly ever get out of there for less than $250 because they insist on doing blood work and other stuff on a perfectly healthy dog that is less than 2 years old and isn't showing any signs of illness. My doc charges $100 for a visit and has accepts $65 as the negotiated price from my insurance company.

Plus will they price match the additional 20% offer I had or just the regular price that the site shows online?

Lastly, I just don't like being told I can only purchase from them. It just rubs me the wrong way.

The big deal is that they never told me before that they would price match. They were more than happy to charge me 50% more than what the online price is.

Lastly, I just don't like being told I can only purchase from them. It just rubs me the wrong way.

I agree, vet prices can seem pretty high. That said, my friend just opened his own practice and he's already worried about generating enough revenue to pay the expenses of operating the business and pay down the loans. It takes a lot of Heartgard to pay over $21,000 a month in rent, not to mention salaries, insurance, product, etc. It costs money to keep products available just in case it's my dog that's the one who needs it.

Of course the office would never volunteer that they'd price match; you have to ask. I even ask the online companies to price match and then "go with an established" presence, so to speak.

As to being told that you can only purchase from the vet, I'm sure the vet stresses to the office staff that they encourage clients to purchase from them. Was what you were told said diplomatically? Sounds like not but the smart vet could educate the staff to present things in a better way.

We all need to remember that we want all the information and skill the vet has acquired through his education and continuing ed and yet, we want the cheapest prices. These "big suppliers" can obtain great prices on product that is out of reach for the vet next door.

My vet won't confirm the prescription if they call, but she gives me a written one that I mail in to 800PetMeds. It works for me and the vet doesn't mind.

My GSD is on Deramaxx daily, so it adds up fast when I buy from the vets office.

As to being told that you can only purchase from the vet, I'm sure the vet stresses to the office staff that they encourage clients to purchase from them. Was what you were told said diplomatically? Sounds like not but the smart vet could educate the staff to present things in a better way.

No. There was no ambiguity in what they said. I was not "encouraged" to purchase from them. I was told flatly they do not approve prescriptions for an online company. I had to purchase from them. I think I'd be less put out if they said "since you've already made the purchase this time, we will okay it, but not again." Or if they had told me at any of the well-visits to not purchase the meds online because they wouldn't approve it. I'd never heard of a vet refusing to okay the meds from one of the big online retailers. This wasn't some unknown company.

I have 4 dogs and just recently used 1800 Petmeds. I have no problem ordering Frontline and heartworm online, it is the same as in the vet office. My vet had no problem giving ok to Petmeds. As long as your pets are up to date on vaccines your Vet should approve it. Having four dogs I have to find ways to save money on this stuff.
P.S. I was very pleased with Petmeds came right to my door and was real quick :thumbsup2

About 14 years ago my vet did not want to give me the script for the heartgard. I left that office after being a patient for 3 years and went to another vet.. That vet would give me a script, but found out his prices were competitive with the mail aways.. so I never had to mail away.. :thumbsup2

The big deal is that they never told me before that they would price match. They were more than happy to charge me 50% more than what the online price is. I've already made the purchase online so I'd have to see about getting that money refunded. And I see it as a money grab from a vet that already charges more for a well-visit than my doctor does. The vet charges $150 for just a well check. I hardly ever get out of there for less than $250 because they insist on doing blood work and other stuff on a perfectly healthy dog that is less than 2 years old and isn't showing any signs of illness. My doc charges $100 for a visit and has accepts $65 as the negotiated price from my insurance company.

Plus will they price match the additional 20% offer I had or just the regular price that the site shows online?

I just reread your post and your vet charges $150 for a well visit?????????? That is crazy my vet only charges $35 use to be $25!!!!!! Shots are extra of course, he will even trim their nails and scale their teeth if needed. Unless your dog has a health issue, is a senior dog or has been off of heartworm they really don't need to do bloodwork. You can tell them no thanks on the blood work if your dog is healthy. Unless you really really like your vet I would start asking around to some of your friends to see if you can see if maybe get some recommendations :)

Our vet doesn't like the online meds because they are mostly made in other countries with different drug requirements for their countries :confused3

No. There was no ambiguity in what they said. I was not "encouraged" to purchase from them. I was told flatly they do not approve prescriptions for an online company. I had to purchase from them. I think I'd be less put out if they said "since you've already made the purchase this time, we will okay it, but not again."

Well, then I think the office has been inappropriate in their professionalism. The consumer is the customer, not the vet.

If the vet so chooses, it's probably some recoupment for the vet to ask for a $5 fee to issue the script, and if he/she refuses, it may be in you and your animal's best interest to seek another provider of veterinary services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter