Has anyone had success booking dining? I mean......for the love of churros!

I wanted to post this in case it helps anyone.

I have heard from a reliable source that Disneyland is holding MOST restaurant space for walk up availability. The number of reservations being released is a TINY fraction of available tables. They are prioritizing walk ups in the park and hotel restaurants right now. This may be why reservations are so hard to come by.

We ate at the Magic Key Terrace yesterday and ALL the people who were there at opening time were walk ups. We stood around with them and all used the app right at 12:30. We were easily able to get in immediately by using the app "walk up waitlist" option and had an amazing lunch (the limited time specials were out of this world). I had been trying with no luck to get a reservation at the Terrace for this date for a LONG time. Turns out I was wasting my time.

In addition, we witnessed several groups walk up to the podium at Wine Country Trattoria prior to the 12:30 opening time and put their names in for lunch and they were all seated once the restaurant opened. None had reservations. They began taking names at the podium around noon.

Apparently you can get same day reservations to most restaurants in the park if you are there when they open and put your name down.

We ate at the Magic Key Terrace yesterday and ALL the people who were there at opening time were walk ups. We stood around with them and all used the app right at 12:30. We were easily able to get in immediately by using the app "walk up waitlist" option and had an amazing lunch (the limited time specials were out of this world). I had been trying with no luck to get a reservation at the Terrace for this date for a LONG time. Turns out I was wasting my time.
I agree about the walk up list in general - it seems like they're holding space for that.

But Magic Key Terrace is a different situation. They completely stopped offering reservations for Magic Key Terrace in mid-January. If you hit the restaurant page in the app, it doesn't even have the "Reserve Dining" button anymore - just the Walk Up List option:

Carnation still baffles me. It doesn't offer Walk Up in the app at all - just the Reserve Dining button. But it sounds like they're taking in-person walk ups.

One person here said they got a reservation for April after getting an alert - so I'm assuming they might be dropping some late. But there's no way they're dropping them at 6am for 60 days out.

I agree about the walk up list.

But Magic Key Terrace is a different situation. They completely stopped offering reservations for Magic Key Terrace in mid-January. If you hit the restaurant page in the app, it doesn't even have the "Reserve Dining" button anymore - just the Walk Up List option:

View attachment 649116

Carnation still baffles me. It doesn't offer Walk Up in the app at all - just the Reserve Dining button. But it sounds like they're taking in-person walk ups.

One person here said they got a reservation for April after getting an alert - so I'm assuming they might be dropping some late. But there's no way they're dropping them at 6am for 60 days out.

Carnation is the one that was referenced specifically to be primarily walk up availability by the source, although they said it was now like that at most restaurants. But yes, it is a physical walk up list, not in the app. Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, Riverbell, Cathay Circle Restaurant, and WCT should all be easy to get into day of by walking up.

I know Magic Key Terrace is different, and found out the reason they stopped taking reservations is because the expanded space is closed off right now while they reimagine it for an early March reopening. They only have like 10 tables there right now.

But there's no way they're dropping them at 6am for 60 days out.

That's why I posted. My alerts have always been reliable. I was up before 6 a.m., got alerts for Oga's and Cafe Orleans and got them both booked (and RiverBelle as a lunch backup in case Carnation doesn't show up) but zero for Carnation and I tried them FIRST since it was the #1 priority, so it's not like they existed and just disappeared that quickly. Also, got WCT booked for the day before, and Ralph Brennan for the day before that, so it's all working. I think (and hope) that Carnation is just being slow. I know in-person walk-up is always an option, but my mom has medical issues and having locked-in reservations when she's with me always puts my mind at ease.

What alerts are you guys using? I'm still a good month away before the time we're able to book but wanted to get something going so I don't forget. We passed on Oga's in WDW last September because of Delta and wanted to go this time when we're there in early June.

That's why I posted. My alerts have always been reliable. I was up before 6 a.m., got alerts for Oga's and Cafe Orleans and got them both booked (and RiverBelle as a lunch backup in case Carnation doesn't show up) but zero for Carnation and I tried them FIRST since it was the #1 priority, so it's not like they existed and just disappeared that quickly. Also, got WCT booked for the day before, and Ralph Brennan for the day before that, so it's all working. I think (and hope) that Carnation is just being slow. I know in-person walk-up is always an option, but my mom has medical issues and having locked-in reservations when she's with me always puts my mind at ease.
Someone here said they got one for "early April", and I kept wondering what "early April" meant, but didn't want to pry. I've got two possible April trips on the schedule, so I've been on the app at 6am like eight times in the last three weeks, and I never saw a single Carnation. My initial looks were for April 6th - I kinda wondered if they made them available through the previous weekend and not since. If that's the case, I'm wondering if we're in a situation like with Trader Sam's in January, where they were dropping a week's worth at a random time (in that case, Thursday nights).

What alerts are you guys using? I'm still a good month away before the time we're able to book but wanted to get something going so I don't forget. We passed on Oga's in WDW last September because of Delta and wanted to go this time when we're there in early June.

I'm not sure what the policy is on linking them. But if you google Disneyland dining alerts, there are two main sites that will likely pop up. One starts in Mouse and ends in Watcher and it's a paid site. And then there's one that starts in Mouse and ends in Dining and has a free plan (and a paid plan).

Someone here said they got one for "early April", and I kept wondering what "early April" meant, but didn't want to pry. I've got two possible April trips on the schedule, so I've been on the app at 6am like eight times in the last three weeks, and I never saw a single Carnation. My initial looks were for April 6th - I kinda wondered if they made them available through the previous weekend and not since. If that's the case, I'm wondering if we're in a situation like with Trader Sam's in January, where they were dropping a week's worth at a random time (in that case, Thursday nights).

I will definitely post here if Carnation ever comes through for me! I just figure it's definitely a lateness issue since I had ZERO trouble with the other reservations I wanted.

I wanted to post this in case it helps anyone.

I have heard from a reliable source that Disneyland is holding MOST restaurant space for walk up availability. The number of reservations being released is a TINY fraction of available tables. They are prioritizing walk ups in the park and hotel restaurants right now. This may be why reservations are so hard to come by.

In addition, we witnessed several groups walk up to the podium at Wine Country Trattoria prior to the 12:30 opening time and put their names in for lunch and they were all seated once the restaurant opened. None had reservations. They began taking names at the podium around noon.

Apparently you can get same day reservations to most restaurants in the park if you are there when they open and put your name down.

This is interesting. The missus and I just ate at Carnation Cafe about 90 minutes ago. A couple in front of us was trying to walk-in to get a table, and the host said that they had been booked two months in advance.

This is interesting. The missus and I just ate at Carnation Cafe about 90 minutes ago. A couple in front of us was trying to walk-in to get a table, and the host said that they had been booked two months in advance.

You have to be there when they open. Since Carnation opens for breakfast, you have to put your name in for lunch right when they open for breakfast.

Hi. I tried booking Carnation for breakfast beginning 60 days out from our trip in early April and never got a spot. I checked every morning and put an alert on Mouse Dining, but I was unable to find a spot. I guess I'm just unlucky!

Hi. I tried booking Carnation for breakfast beginning 60 days out from our trip in early April and never got a spot. I checked every morning and put an alert on Mouse Dining, but I was unable to find a spot. I guess I'm just unlucky!
I doubt it's luck. As best as everyone here can tell, it seems likely that they haven't offered any reservations for Carnation since the very beginning of April at the latest.

(The story Renarr was telling about today would be true - they were still offering them 60 days ago.)

Btw - for anyone not following the Pirates closure thread:

Blue Bayou will apparently be closed from April 21st until sometime in mid-May:

FYI all, I chatted with a CM, because I wanted to be sure. She mentioned BB is going to be closed they estimate until the "Middle of May" and that POTC is slated to open back up 7/1. Just wanted to forward the info to you all since I chatted with a CM.

I’ve been trying for Carnation Cafe reservations since April 3rd, I had been checking available reservations before my 60 day window and they were available April 2nd. April 3rd on no availability, I’ve been checking every morning at 6am and sporadically throughout ever day since with no luck.

I said early April in a previous post. My lunch reservation that i secured at the 60 day mark was for April 1st. So the very earliest April date possible!

I said early April in a previous post. My lunch reservation that i secured at the 60 day mark was for April 1st. So the very earliest April date possible!

So Carnation reservations are at least two and half weeks behind where they should be (close to 3 weeks, even), based on what everyone is posting here.

I wonder what the issue is. I hope it's not that they're closing it again, and it's something good, like opening it up for dinner hours.

Cool! That actually tracks perfectly with what others have experienced. It sounds like they stopped offering Carnation reservations on April 2nd.

So anyone looking for Carnation for April 3rd or later would be smart to sign up for a dining alert, in case they decide to release them at a random time.

I somehow managed to snag a BB dinner reservation and a Carnation Cafe lunch reservation for March randomly stalking. Only problem is they’re on the same day. If I can’t manage to switch one to another day, which should we keep? Will BB not be as exciting with pirates closed?

I'd be very interested in hearing how the walk ups at Carnation are working as we get to April. Like another poster, I grabbed a backup at River Belle for lunch since Carnation wasn't dropping. I'd prefer to get on the walk up list...but if I no-show for the reservation because I got the walk up CC then I'll be out the $10/person, and I've got 7 of 'em.

We're going to be going full Theme Park Commando at rope drop, so I'll have to figure out if I need to skip out on an attraction to go get on the list, or if I can do it in the pre-rope drop period...

So is Carnation Cafe no longer open for dinner? I got a lunch reservation for my trip next week but since my 60 day time period, but never saw that it had evening hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter