Has anyone ever heard of the National Guard being requested into a school? (SINCE the epic case in Little Rock nearly 70 years ago)

I was thinking on this last night and if a majority of people are against getting the troublesome students out via expulsion or virtual education so be it, then the kids who want to go should be allowed to go.

Maybe this is the time and place to take a second look at vouchers so the kids who want to go can go, the parents should make the decisions.

A safe environment shouldn't be reserved for the wealthy, that mindset has got to go IMO....pffft, military in our schools because adults can't keep kids safe:/

Oh Brockton, you've done it again. When I saw this headline in the news it didn't surprise me. Part of my childhood and some years of adulthood was living in Brockton. My elementary school was later turned into a juvenile court. My father and sister went to Brockton High and school fights were not unusual, metal defectors were commonplace when my sister was there and drugs were pretty available.

It's an inner city school, there has typically been a higher poverty rate and unfortunately many students fall by the wayside.

Saw this today, never heard of such a thing. Don't kids get kicked out of school anymore, couldn't dangerous people be told to switch to remote learning so everyone else is safe?

"The four school committee members cite instances of students wandering the halls, altercations, and disruptions that have led to 35 teachers calling in absent."

https://www.boston25news.com/news/l...potential-tragedy/G2THTB6J75ATHB22GOWK6B3LSQ/

What is happening? The kids just trying to show up and get a diploma & their families - so sad for them :(
And you actually think they would go online??? Online learning was the worst thing to happen to students. There's a whole lot more going on that has led to this situation than we are going to be able to fix with just the National Guard. Going to take lot more and a lot more time than that. And it's going to have to start at home, with the parents - and that is the root of it all. There is no parental presence in a lot of homes, especially in this area (I live in MA). It's a sad situation overall.

Last edited:
I was thinking on this last night and if a majority of people are against getting the troublesome students out via expulsion or virtual education so be it, then the kids who want to go should be allowed to go.

Maybe this is the time and place to take a second look at vouchers so the kids who want to go can go, the parents should make the decisions.

A safe environment shouldn't be reserved for the wealthy, that mindset has got to go IMO....pffft, military in our schools because adults can't keep kids safe:/
100% agree with this. It would have certainly have changed my academic options if this were available. In my state, it will never happen though. The legislature has had to fight to keep the voucher program in place since the current governor took office. I'd be all for the funds following the student in all cases.

That is just beyond the realm of acceptable. School is a privilege. The US introduced remote learning as an option and so now there is an existing recipe. Public Libraries should have all the resources needed if a household is too noisy or whatever so there is absolutely no reason for a class of 30 who want to be there to suffer if a handful are set to disrupt. Don't the kids who want to learn count? Can't argue not to intervene because this is any sort of a diversity thing when all the kids being hurt are the same exact cohort. I think the kids that want to get an education do matter :(
While we had remote learning, the teachers were creating lessons for 100% online learning, with the teacher onscreen, etc. To use the same structure already created, we'd have to hire teachers for the online time. Or if it is to be 100% without teachers, then a whole new curriculum needs to be created. Who would be stuck doing that? Would they get paid for it?
Well, nothing is 100%, but I would think it is an option still. The Federal Government bought all those Surface laptops for schools to hand out to students during covid. Microsoft last year agreed to support those devices for another 10 years. And thousands of them are still sitting in school warehouses. So I would think it is an option in the U.S., assuming students participate. And here there was an issue where some students live in (low income) areas that still have no Internet access. So the school district put mobile Wi Fi in buses in those neighborhoods and parked the buses in those areas during the school day. So those students would still have an issue since those WiFi buses have been taken out of service.
We never got Surface laptops at our high school. We have reconditioned Asus and a few other brands of chromebooks, with about 25% of them being brand new during COVID and the rest coming from our chromebook carts, and computer labs. But it's not about the laptops - it's about the curriculum and the cost of developing it, staffing it, and managing it.
That's not what you were talking about. Police dogs trained for certain tasks such as drug sniffing or other usages is not the same as a rogue teacher bringing in a dog with the intent to terrorize kids. Police aren't bringing in their dogs with that intent, that would be a huge liability especially with minors involved not to mention psychologically disgusting. Can you imagine if a police dog was sent to bite or behave aggressively towards kids? Nope nope nopety nope on that.
According to the PP, the dog was alerted by a German word when the students acted out - made his presence known, and the kids cut it out. My guess is that the smarter students figured out the dog was very well trained and knew they were safe. The only kids getting "terrorized" were the little terrors!

We never got Surface laptops at our high school. We have reconditioned Asus and a few other brands of chromebooks, with about 25% of them being brand new during COVID and the rest coming from our chromebook carts, and computer labs. But it's not about the laptops - it's about the curriculum and the cost of developing it, staffing it, and managing it.
Yes, staffing has been a huge issue for one school district here. Full time remote learning is an option parents can choose for their child, and far more parents chose that option than expected. They are scrambling to find teachers for the full time remote students. But this post is about using remote learning in place of Snow Days. The foothills districts where Snow Days are an issue seem to have no issue staffing it for a day or two a year.

Districts really need to have a system in place for the students who can't follow the expectations in a "regular" school setting. Our district, and everyone around us, has an alternative school the troublesome students would go to unless they are expelled.

The students attending the alternative school are on a very short leash behavior wise and absence wise. At our alternative school the students must take a 3-week class on a variety of things, mainly how to be a productive student and what they have to do in order to remain at the school. They quickly learn this is their last chance at a free public education. The fast-food restaurants in the area, as well as retailers, have banded together and will not hire school-age students unless they are attending school so they know if the get kicked out of the alternative school they can't even get a job in the area.

By state law, students who are expelled from one school are not allowed to attend any public school in the state during the expulsion period. These students either attend private school at the expense of their parents, homeschool at the expense of their parents, or are required to do online school as doing nothing violates the law. However, rarely do these students do anything that would further their education by online classes, homeschool, or stay enrolled in a private school. (There is one private school in our attendance area that will take our expelled students but then expel them as soon as their tuition has been paid.) Basically, they continue the behavior that resulted in their expulsion.

As an educator, we never wanted to see a student suspended or expelled because we know that statistics of these students don't point towards success. However, the safety and learning of the other students must come first.

I am not against online school if the parents will follow through with making sure their students are doing their jobs. Unfortunately, the students are in the position they are because parents don't follow through in the first place and allowed their child to throw away their right to a free public education.

While we had remote learning, the teachers were creating lessons for 100% online learning, with the teacher onscreen, etc. To use the same structure already created, we'd have to hire teachers for the online time. Or if it is to be 100% without teachers, then a whole new curriculum needs to be created. Who would be stuck doing that? Would they get paid for it?
Why couldn't there be charter schools created for this sort of thing? The one thing private industry is excellent at is quickly adapting to changing requirements so an online charter school for alternative education might be better equipped to sliding in new curriculums as educational professionals and psychologists find new methods.

IN NYC there were alternative schools and PA has them too, so they do work in some places and situations where there needs to be a much lower adult to student ratio than traditional schools offer. Humans are all so different, we can't have a one size fits all approach to education, it simply doesn't match US culture any longer.

Why couldn't there be charter schools created for this sort of thing? The one thing private industry is excellent at is quickly adapting to changing requirements so an online charter school for alternative education might be better equipped to sliding in new curriculums as educational professionals and psychologists find new methods.

IN NYC there were alternative schools and PA has them too, so they do work in some places and situations where there needs to be a much lower adult to student ratio than traditional schools offer. Humans are all so different, we can't have a one size fits all approach to education, it simply doesn't match US culture any longer.
100% agree that traditional schools are not for every child.

If I had to guess, the for-profit charters probably would not touch this sector because of the cost of insurance and potential liability.

Alternative schools are probably the best option, if a district can afford it. I cannot remember well enough to cite it, but I seem to remember seeing a news story about a few districts banding together to afford to provide such a facility; one built and staffed it with grant funding, and the others paid in to operating costs to be able to send their students there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter