• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone else done quarantine bread making?

I made some rustic no-knead bread to go with some stew we had. I've never tried it before but it was actually pretty easy. Yeast is really hard to find here, though. You guys having any luck?

Yes! I love making bread. I made challah, pretzel bread focaccia (How Sweet Eats- so good) focaccia “Art” which was gorgeous and delicious, zucchini bread and French bread.
I also tried sourdough. Epic fail. I did the starter for 7 days, and followed the recipe to a T, but I didn’t love the results. It was very dense and not worth the effort, in my opinion. I’m just not cut out for sourdough. I ended up tossing my starter.

I have been making a lot from scratch and really love doing it. I have made no knead bread, Homemade bagels, pizza dough, and rolls. I had a big packet of yeast on hand before this all started and my aunt found a bunch more at a small local shop. Besides bread I’ve also made a lot of desserts and I share them with family members I do little porch drop off’s. So I made chocolate cola cake, sugar cookies, homemade brownies, and peanut butter cookies. I am sort of amazed my pants still fit LOL

In the beginning of the whole thing, I needed things to do so I made bagels (yum) and then oatmeal cookies for my husband. I had some overripe bananas and made a banana bread right before it because a thing.

I just bought some strawberries to make a rolled up strawberries and sponge cake (like a Swiss Roll). I have been going through the stacks of recipe books I have and trying new things. This is one of them. I’m trying to be good about not making too many sweets and baked goods.

The past 3 weeks or so DH has had me making sugar cookies and tea cakes (his grandmother's recipes). He gets all excited about the "idea" of the cookies and cakes, but after they're done, he eats maybe one or two and is done. After ALL THAT HARD WORK, I just refuse to let it go to waste. I finish them all off and now all my clothes are getting too tight. I refuse to make any more! >:(

I've made a cheat sourdough, cinnamon buns based on a Tangzhong dough as well as sweet dough made into cream buns and finger buns (Australian bakery standards).

I’ve been bread making as my kid asked what that machine in the back of the pantry was for!
So the 2 of us have been making a loaf every few days.
I miss my bread maker. I don't eat bread much so when it broke I never bothered to replace it, but when I do make bread occasionally I usually don't knead it enough. It always came out nice in the breadmaker.

I had a breadmaker 20 years ago and it was okay, but it was upright and when we moved into our house, there was nowhere to put it. I would be interested in buying a new one, though. Even if you don't bake the bread in the unit, you can take it out and shape it into buns or even just pop it into a loaf pan in the oven.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for a good horizonal breadmaker?

Some dutch oven stuff, muffins, biscuits. I have sour dough starter but I haven't had time to do the whole process. Maybe next weekend, I've stopped feeding it every day. Put it in the fridge for a week and I'll feed it on the weekend.

I think I'm going to give some french bread a go. Last time a year ago I tried and I had the wrong hydration.

The first week of the quarantine there was no bread to be found in the stores, so I broke out my bread maker (hadn't used it in years!) That first week I managed to stock up on regular and wheat flour and yeast, so we've had bread ever since. Only failure was bagels.....flat as pancakes!

The first week of the quarantine there was no bread to be found in the stores, so I broke out my bread maker (hadn't used it in years!) That first week I managed to stock up on regular and wheat flour and yeast, so we've had bread ever since. Only failure was bagels.....flat as pancakes!

My bagels came out flat too! I have no idea what went wrong.

Some dutch oven stuff, muffins, biscuits. I have sour dough starter but I haven't had time to do the whole process. Maybe next weekend, I've stopped feeding it every day. Put it in the fridge for a week and I'll feed it on the weekend.

I think I'm going to give some french bread a go. Last time a year ago I tried and I had the wrong hydration.

Try the King Arthur flour French baguette recipe. Not too difficult and they come out tasty. We used this bread for chicken Parmesan sandwiches. I hand kneaded the dough and it wasn’t too difficult.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/french-baguettes-recipe

The past 3 weeks or so DH has had me making sugar cookies and tea cakes (his grandmother's recipes). He gets all excited about the "idea" of the cookies and cakes, but after they're done, he eats maybe one or two and is done. After ALL THAT HARD WORK, I just refuse to let it go to waste. I finish them all off and now all my clothes are getting too tight. I refuse to make any more! >:(

Dh and the kids have been making the sweet stuff including cinnamon buns, cakes and cupcakes. You can freeze the cinnamon buns which is nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter