Has anyone actually preferred Disney World during Covid/masking?

tentaguasu

Mouseketeer
It may sound crazy, but I'm wondering if there are any of you who actually preferred it in some way. Do any of the changes actually make it more enjoyable? Do you prefer everyone wearing masks and the extra care with cleaning? Do you like the lower density of people?

I'm considering a trip this summer and wondering if it's better to go for it now. I'm suspecting the "rebound" travel in 2022 is going to be insane.

I like the lower density of people, and I LOVE not being a bus sardine, but I’m tired of masking (will still wear it everywhere required for however long, but I want us to get to a point that it’s not required anymore) and I want full restaurant capacity so ADRs are slightly more likely to appear for trips booked inside of 60 days. I also like the way the lines move without FP+

It may sound crazy, but I'm wondering if there are any of you who actually preferred it in some way. Do any of the changes actually make it more enjoyable? Do you prefer everyone wearing masks and the extra care with cleaning? Do you like the lower density of people?

I'm considering a trip this summer and wondering if it's better to go for it now. I'm suspecting the "rebound" travel in 2022 is going to be insane.
I went in January and really enjoyed it. Of course high temps were 70 tops, no humidity, and it was the beginning of a 6 week lull in crowds.

Unfortunately, those days are over. Crowds are heavier, temps are higher and humidity is at the greatest during summer. If you're torn between this summer and next, I'd say go next summer. Mainly because you'll get to be part of the 50th anniversary celebration, but also because shows will be back.

With more and more vaccinated, I could see WDW changing guidelines/capacity quicker than bringing back shows, etc. I could be wrong, but at this point I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending a summer trip if it's not an every year trip.

I live in the northeast where personal space is as rare as winning the lottery, so it looks like a nice change of pace not having to fill every inch of available space. I'm not sure how I will handle the mask in the heat (visiting in May), so I mapped out all of the Relaxation Zones in each park, so I know where to go if I need a breather.

Also, not having to worry about Fastpass reservations reduces the pre-trip planning anxiety a bit. I feel like I can just..... go..... and enjoy the trip without having to plan out every minute of every day, sometimes 90 days out.

I am in the enjoying it more now group. I went January 2020 (the week following Princess Marathon) and September & November 2021. I enjoy the reduced crowd. No bothering with FP - and Being stuck in a long line if you don’t have one.

I miss some of the shows, definitely MK fireworks (but haven’t seen them since Wishes). I don’t care about parades (nice not having to work around the lined up crowds) or character meets.

Nice not hearing “fill in every available space” Or having that space filled up with someone squirming and breathing down your neck.

I am using my last two days of non-expiry PHs in May, with no intent to return for many years (or the return of MNSSHP or MVMCP).

Last edited:
I live in the northeast where personal space is as rare as winning the lottery, so it looks like a nice change of pace not having to fill every inch of available space. I'm not sure how I will handle the mask in the heat (visiting in May), so I mapped out all of the Relaxation Zones in each park, so I know where to go if I need a breather.

Also, not having to worry about Fastpass reservations reduces the pre-trip planning anxiety a bit. I feel like I can just..... go..... and enjoy the trip without having to plan out every minute of every day, sometimes 90 days out.
Maybe try northern New England — here in Maine (as well as New Hampshire and Vermont) all we have is space. And trees 😆

Maybe try northern New England — here in Maine (as well as New Hampshire and Vermont) all we have is space. And trees 😆
As a NH resident I was thinking the same thing! Us way Northeasters have plenty of space, too much in fact! One of the reasons we are going to Disney is to finally actually be around people in somewhat of a crowd!
We are not going until next month, but I can definitely say that if we were trying to choose between this summer or next summer when life is more normal (fingers crossed), we would be going next summer. ADR’s hard to come by, no shows, no fireworks, masks, pool time waiting lists, etc... If it was one or the other I’d absolutely choose the better experience with more people then the watered down version. With that said, I’m excited for our trip next month to finally get out and do something! But we will be back in 2022.

Pros: overall lower crowds, much calmer park touring for our family due to not rushing around for fast passes, less need to stare at phone searching for more fast passes, shorter lines for certain popular attractions like Peter Pan

Cons: longer waits for secondary attractions due to lower ride capacity, lower ADR capacity especially for our large family of 6, some favorite CS still not open like Pizzafari, low capacity on boats means longer transportation times, many favorite attractions still closed like Festival of Lion King, MASKS!!!

I really do appreciate the calmer vibe of our recent trip (and going back next week!), but I'd overall rather everything be open at full capacity and ditch the masks. No way I could handle the heat of May through September in masks.

I love the fact that I don’t have to preplan every detail of the trip. With fast pass gone it’s back like the old days where you can stroll around the park deciding what rides to go on based on the size of the line. Too long just come back later. I hated all the pre planning needed for fast passes and having to run all over the park to make those fast pass times.

I love the fact that I don’t have to preplan every detail of the trip. With fast pass gone it’s back like the old days where you can stroll around the park deciding what rides to go on based on the size of the line. Too long just come back later. I hated all the pre planning needed for fast passes and having to run all over the park to make those fast pass times.

I also forgot to mentio that with fast pass gone thereis no more waiting in the standby line that looks short but takes forever because a hundred people with fast passes just walked up to the ride. Buzz and Space mountain were always a crapshoot for how long you would wait in standby. It was impossible to judge based on the size of the line or the posted times. I don’t mind a line as long as I know what to expect. Fastpsss really screwed that up for standby lines.

We went in October and frankly, I hated it. The long walk thru the parking lots because there are no trams. The fight to secure dining reservations under reduced capacity. The limited menus, designed to use as little kitchen staff as possible in order to maintain safe distancing. The reduced park hours. Nothing open once the sun set except a very crowded Disney Springs or equally crowded pools. The long lines because there are no FPs. The plexiglass dividers on rides that interfere with a good view of the attraction. No entertainment. The constant reminders via overhead speakers to mask up properly and maintain safe spacing between parties.

It was definitely my most unhappy visit to my happy place.

We went in October and frankly, I hated it. The long walk thru the parking lots because there are no trams. The fight to secure dining reservations under reduced capacity. The limited menus, designed to use as little kitchen staff as possible in order to maintain safe distancing. The reduced park hours. Nothing open once the sun set except a very crowded Disney Springs or equally crowded pools. The long lines because there are no FPs. The plexiglass dividers on rides that interfere with a good view of the attraction. No entertainment. The constant reminders via overhead speakers to mask up properly and maintain safe spacing between parties.

We haven’t gone since covid, we cancelled a trip for last month, because I think I would feel the same as you. I’m sure I would hate it. We are waiting until the end of 2022 to try it out.

Since I don't care about going to the parks any longer I want more out of my resort stay. The only thing I wanted was pool time and being able to go to our favorite restaurants, 'Ohana and Trails End which were both closed. I hated having to wear a face diaper in the golf cart going 15MPH, in the open air, 50 yards away from another human. The best part of the October trip was getting to meet a bunch of DIS members camping at Fort Wilderness. I won't be going back. There's so many other places to see that don't have a diminished experience for an expanded price. I understand that the experience is subjective.

My most recent trips were January 2020 (Pre-COVID), September 2019, and January 2021. Of those January 2021 was my favorite. The crowds in January 2020 were so big that the parks, especially HS were practically not doable and not so enjoyable. January 2021 with the low crowd density in all areas and the fast moving ques was one of our best trips.

This is why we aren't going back anytime soon even though we live only 20 minutes from WDW.

I like masks in daily life but didn't enjoy them a few weeks ago. However even though a few of the days almost hit 90 I survived with one on better than I thought I would. In fact it's making me re-think the idea of mowing this summer due to allergies. I never would do that before because I thought I would die.

As far as personal life I never got sick the past year and neither did anyone I know. No colds, no flu's, no strep throat for my kids either. I have never gone through a year with everyone staying healthy before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter