Has a worker CM ever remembered you?

I sailed the Wonder twice last year and the assistant server from May was handing out the wipes at cabanas on the first day in December and she immediately greeted me by name and asked if that was my daughter (I had sailed solo in May and my daughter joined me in December). I'll admit it freaked me out a bit until I remembered who she was:rolleyes1

Yes - Youth Activities Counsellors, Servers (both MDR and Palo), Room Hostess (we bumped into her in a corridor), a CM at the gift shop who we saw on both the Wonder and the Magic (it helps that she comes from 2 suburbs away from us in Australia, instant connection there), Nursery Counsellor who we saw after she had transferred to BBB, so we weren't expecting to see her there. This is why we love DCL so much, and especially the Magic. There was also an officer on the Magic who looked at me strangely like he knew me but wasn't sure, until I reminded him that we were on the same cruise that his mother had been on last time and then he remembered our faces (he was from Australia too - so few Aussies on the ships that sometimes those connections are pretty simple to make, even amongst the guests, hence how we met his mother before him.)

The sommelier on the Dream remembered us from a previous cruise and also remembered the wine we ordered.

We have a couple of head servers who always remember us, bartenders who call us out by name and come out from behind the bar to hug us on embarkation day and stateroom hosts who remember us too. We've had Concierge hosts come out to see us when we're not cruising Concierge as well.

OMG....is that Wawan of the infamous Wawatini? I am pretty sure we had him as a bar server on the Wonder and he made us a wonderful drink he named the Wawatini...we still crack up about 3 years later.

MJ

Yes! We called it the Wawan Special, here's the recipe he shared with us:

Triple Sec
Vodka (double)
Mint
Cranberry Juice
Muddled Lime
Agave
Splash of Champagne

IMG_9515.JPG

I was in shock when Fransisco, a vanellopes worker remembered me from a year ago. He remembered my name, usual order, and he spotted my braces. I think thats amazing so I was wondering if its all that common or rare for a CM or 2 to remember you.

We have had servers remember us, but it seemed only if we had requested them for a second or third time. I recall talking to one of the hotel dept managers a few years ago and his comment was something like " we keep track of everything about our guests, you'd be surprised" I wonder of any CMs can weigh in on this. Is it possible CMs, especially servers, are given detailed reminders of repeat guests for each cruise and can reference them before we board? Seems like one of those "behind the magic" things that Disney would be very good at...

I would say the CM's have incredible memories, given the amount of people they meet day after day, week after week. In 2007 we sailed on the Magic for our son's graduation and had great servers in David and Colin. They really took good care of us all week. Well fast forward to 2015 and my husband and I are sailing sans son on the Fantasy and eating at Cabanas when who should walk up to us, but Colin! He recognized us immediately, and skeptic that I am, just thought it was because we had our gold lanyards on...well he proceeds to ask where our son is (mentioned him BY NAME) and how we liked the Fantasy as opposed to the Magic? I was floored! I have such a terrible time with names, let alone details like that. So hats off to all the CM's. Part of the reason we return to DCL.

DS and I were walking around Cozumel and we heard someone calling his name. It was one of our servers from 3 years earlier. I was amazed!

My family was on a cruise in 2007 on the Magic in the Mediterranean, then in 2011 our server from that cruise was now a head server on the Dream and came up and talked to us.

At the restaurants I always wonder if they keep a file. The company I work for does CRM work so I know for a fact there are system that any company can use to alert servers and host/ess (as well as any employee actually) to preferences and such. It wouldn't shock me that Disney uses them and that's why so many food based CMs seem to remember people and exactly what they like.

We have had servers remember us, but it seemed only if we had requested them for a second or third time. I recall talking to one of the hotel dept managers a few years ago and his comment was something like " we keep track of everything about our guests, you'd be surprised" I wonder of any CMs can weigh in on this. Is it possible CMs, especially servers, are given detailed reminders of repeat guests for each cruise and can reference them before we board? Seems like one of those "behind the magic" things that Disney would be very good at...

Yes, as charming as it is to be "remembered" by CMs, I have to believe that, with a few exceptions, a.) their memories are not that good; and b.) we are not that memorable to begin with.

I would bet there is indeed some CRM in place, with extensive notes from prior cruises and our KTTW card photos to boot. I would further bet that if a server and/or stateroom attendant is matched up with you again (either by your request or by pure chance), they will get a heads-up and be tasked with brushing up on the details of your party so they appear to "remember" you. I would be dumbfounded if Disney were not doing something like this.

I would likewise not be surprised if there were longer-range RFID scanners at places like the bars or Vanellope's, so when you walk in, the scanner picks up your KTTW card, and the bartender or server is alerted to your info, like "Last time in Meridian, customer ordered a Gin Garden", or whatever.

Last edited:
Yes, as charming as it is to be "remembered" by CMs, I have to believe that, with a few exceptions, a.) their memories are not that good; b.) we are not that memorable to begin with.

I would bet there is indeed some CRM in place, with extensive notes from prior cruises and our KTTW card photos to boot. I would further bet that if a server and/or stateroom attendant is matched up with you again (either by your request or by pure chance), they will get a heads-up and be tasked with brushing up on the details of your party so they appear to "remember" you. I would be dumbfounded if Disney were not doing something like this.

I would likewise not be surprised if there were longer-range RFID scanners at places like the bars or Vanellope's, so when you walk in, the scanner picks up your KTTW card, and the bartender or server is alerted to your info, like "Last time in Meridian, customer ordered a Gin Garden", or whatever.
Exactly! As much as people would like to believe, and I'm not trying to change anyones minds, there is no way that they can go through 2500 to 8000 people weekly and remember that you sailed with them two years ago. We may think we are stellar guests but it would have to be on an out of this world level for any CM to truly remember any one person or family. On our last cruise the head waiter came over to our table nightly and tried to get us to buy into the fact that when he was a server 5 years before that he served us. I didn't remember him at all nor do I believe that he remember us, at least without some help. I have a friend who was a CM on DCL and I keep trying to remember to ask him this very question. He and I used to work together however since I retired a few years ago and he moved on to a different job I don't get to see him often now. It would be nice if a CM popped into this thread and could answer the question........but I just don't believe their memory is that good.
You may believe it and that's great. This is jmo.

Exactly! As much as people would like to believe, and I'm not trying to change anyones minds, there is no way that they can go through 2500 to 8000 people weekly and remember that you sailed with them two years ago. We may think we are stellar guests but it would have to be on an out of this world level for any CM to truly remember any one person or family. On our last cruise the head waiter came over to our table nightly and tried to get us to buy into the fact that when he was a server 5 years before that he served us. I didn't remember him at all nor do I believe that he remember us, at least without some help. I have a friend who was a CM on DCL and I keep trying to remember to ask him this very question. He and I used to work together however since I retired a few years ago and he moved on to a different job I don't get to see him often now. It would be nice if a CM popped into this thread and could answer the question........but I just don't believe their memory is that good.
You may believe it and that's great. This is jmo.

I can try.
I can't speak for servers or housekeeping but for entertainment there's no 'file' lol.
I could see your photo from the port and any cruise info (room number, who you're travelling with, if you're on or off the ship, if you're concierge...that's about it) sure if I really wanted to I could probably get in touch with someone to find out more info, I never tried but I doubt they would give me much due to confidentiality (if crew had access that's a big number of people accessing private info). I could see servers maybe getting a heads up, like if a family is new or platinum to make service better (do they're not going to give newbie tips to people who have sailed forever).
I honestly have never heard of CM getting in depth knowledge of their guests prior, and I can't really see where they'd get the time between cruises to make it happen, but what do I know...
On longer/interesting cruises wed often get given figures, percentage of repeat/new cruisers, percentages of the cc levels, how many people from Australia....

I will say, the end of 2016, I recognised a family so much I thought they'd sailed recently. Turns out they'd only cruise once before in 2013 on a 5 day, and on the previous ship I'd been on. I'm also pretty sure though, that if they'd turned up at my house between those cruises I wouldn't have had a clue that I'd met them before, so I think the environment helps us remember.

A lot of time I recognised guests, more to say hi and when did you last cruise because I remember you, but I was never in a role where you were almost guaranteed to see the same people at the same time every day.

Not only do a couple of them remember me, they regularly ask my sister about me. :) Or did when she was on the Fantasy. :)

I get the "wait...I think..." look a LOT. But that's because people think my sister and I look identical, so people who know her tend to get confused. On the Magic in Feb, my parents and I were not saying anything about her since that's the one ship she hasn't worked on. But she DID in fact know more people than she thought. Sandra at the advance bookings desk got all the way through my booking before saying "Ok, I have to tell you. You look so much like a friend of mine..." Yep. Sister. Clayton had given me the "I think I know you..." look while I was speaking with him, but my parents hadn't said they'd sailed with him before, so I didn't know to say anything. Later when I was with them and he recognized them, he said "You're the sister! NOW I know why you looked familiar!!"

It's an interesting situation for sure. :P

Yes, Clayton the cruise director! 6 years to the day!In 2012 on the Dream he was directing and again in 2017 on the Magic! I was walking past him and he stopped me and said the exact dates of the cruise we first met on back in 2012!::MickeyMocrazy to think that they remember you! Steve worked as a Youth counselor in 2009 on the wonder, and was at the front desk of the dream in 2012 and recognized our name,wound up sending a note to the room!

Assistant server Sudi from our first cruise remember us over a year later and every cruise since. Even remembered our names. Another assistant server remembered us 6 months later even remembering to ask about our daughters wedding. Really makes you feel special.

Slightly :offtopic:, on our last Carnival cruise we visited the pool bar and I found a drink that I was crazy about -- the Cosmo Cubana. I asked the bartender to add a little grenadine to it and I was sold. After that, every time he saw us coming, he would have that drink and my husband's favorite Mojito on the counter before we got there! I love that kind of thing.

We have 'grown up' with several of the CMs and look forward to seeing them. One of our very favorites just left DCL and we are so sad. I do have an unusual non-alc drink that I always order at the bars, so sometimes they remember me from just the order.

There is definitely SOMETHING in the system, it seems guests have a 'profile' that can be accessed by CMs if need be. On our last cruise we requested the server we had from another time on the Magic (her assistant server was the guy that recognised us, mentioned earlier in the thread). She ended up being on vacation, but during our Palo brunch our server there made things a bit awkward. He disappeared for a bit and had obviously been looking us up on whatever system they had, because he came back and goes "I see you requested so-and-so as your dining server... she's on vacation" and started asking kind of forceful questions, like had we met her before or did we request her because of a recommendation, why did we request her, etc. In retrospect I probably should have said something to someone, as it wasn't his business at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter