Has a valet ever stolen something from your car?

Didn’t say you did … folks on this board are so touchy … nope $4 in change isn’t that valuable but I would venture even you might not like paying the cost of repair/replacing a smashed window or pried open door that the thieving degenerates might cause to gain access to your $4 in change … perhaps not though what do I know
The only thing I spoke to was discussing valets of which multiple other posters also spoke to that occupation and likelihood of taking quarters. It is pretty common knowledge about valuables.

The OP's question was about a valet stealing something from your car and spoke about $4.50 in quarters. No damage was done to their car, criminals nor junkies were mentioned. You're now you're doubling down with even more derogatory terms. It seems you have something to say about people, but it has nothing to do with my comment nor would I condone such descriptions thus my response, please comment regarding your feelings without connecting it with my comments :flower3:

I am probably not the best person to ask since I can only think of a few times I have used a valet in the 50 years I have been driving. And there is nothing of value ever left in my car.

We used a valet at Fogo de Chao a few weeks ago. We always keep a $20 bill somewhere (where it can’t be seen)in each of our cars in case of an emergency. We dropped off my DHs Infiniti to the valet and the money was in closed center console area. When we got car back from valet I opened the console to grab a tissue and noticed the money was gone. It was definitely there when we dropped the car off. So he was looking through our car and stole from us, which was infuriating, especially since we tipped him well. We didn’t complain or anything, it’s only $20 and how would you even prove it, but still made me feel kind of violated.

Yes, coins.

Coins and cash are a prime target. $5 in coins per car adds up and unless you have a camera recording in the car you have no proof. The rule with Valet parking: if you don't wanna lose it lock it up or bring it. Many cars have options to lock the glove compartment and/or center console. If you really don't wanna lose it bring it because those locks are flismy.

Did you tip at drop off? Maybe they felt entitled to a DIY tip.

You'd be surprised what people will steal just because it's left out in open site for them. I used to own a tire service business, I routinely had friends and family bring their cars in for service and I would leave change and cash $5, $10 in the car. the service techs did not know I did this and more times then I care to admit they took it. I think the valet is more likely to grab $4.50 then you'd think hoping you either won't notice or figure it's not enough to report it doesn't seem like much but imagine if they are doing that from 20 cars a day.

I don't think it has happened to me but I don't doubt for a minute that someone would take $4 in change. That can add up over time.

not a fan of valet parking in large part b/c unless i'm going to pull every registration and insurance document out of my glovebox and also disable the car's garage door opener button then if i'm in close proximity to home i've given my home's location, access and an approximation of how long i'm away from home to a stranger (the places around us that valet ask if it's short term-2 hours or less, extended or overnight so they know which area of their lot to park it).

as for the possiblity of a $4 in change theft? i would not rule it out. some who steal know how to avoid detection by just doing small amounts that tend to go unnoticed or are prone to go unreported. someone with access to 50 or more cars per day (low on average for the hotels around us that do not have self parking) snagging $3-$5 in change (or that hidden $20) from even half those cars could see their income increased by a couple hundred in a single day. is it worth their job? not so in my opinion but i also worked in better paying and benefit yielding jobs with much more dire consequences for theft (stealing public funds carries stiff penalties) that STILL saw a handful of co-workers who were playing the same long game. they stole small amounts that went undetected for ages until something (or someone) triggered a look-see. one managed over the course of 5 years to net over $185,000 (and she was mentoring her bff co-worker on how to do it, who also got caught :scared:).

I always only tip on pickup.

Googling tipping and valet seems that when to tip is not cut and dried, it never is with tipping etiquette.
Well, it seems as if you now tip on drop off as well. $4.50 in quarters to be precise.

Well, it seems as if you now tip on drop off as well. $4.50 in quarters to be precise.

we would be terrible tippers then b/c since parking meters stopped taking cash we don't have much of a need to have coinage in the car so unless cough drops, eye glass wipes and old cd's are of interest to a valet there's nothing much in the center console to self tip from :rolleyes:

Yes, and it's been small amounts of change. Also, never give the valets your entire keychain, take off the key fob and only give them that. Why? Because they will have the keys to your house and in the glove box, your registration with your home address on it (they have the key to open the glove box if they have your keys). Or if you have a GPS in your car, it is usually programmed with a home address (hint, never use your own address in your GPS for home, use the next door neighbor's). It may be a little unlikely, but they could make copies of your house key - or even take the key ring, and get into your house while your car is parked with them. They know you aren't home and have an idea of how long you'll potentially be gone. Or, keep the key they could have duplicated and break in at a future time. I know it sounds crazy, but it happened. I have a relative who is a detective and he told us about a case where there were robberies that were eventually traced back to a restaurant where people had to valet park. It was 2 valets who worked there, one would take the key when an expensive vehicle parked and depending on where the people lived, they would either copy the key or call a "friend" who was close by and give that person the key and address and they would break in if no one appeared to be at the house. Apologies for the long story! Just never give the valet your entire keychain.

We never valet.
Just booked, then cancelled a hotel in Stowe Vermont after we realized it was valet only parking.
We've heard too many stories about valet parking from a friend who worked in the hotel industry in Boston!

We never valet.
Just booked, then cancelled a hotel in Stowe Vermont after we realized it was valet only parking.
We've heard too many stories about valet parking from a friend who worked in the hotel industry in Boston!
I worked in the hotel industry in Boston, left about 10 years ago. Hence my story above!

Yes, and it's been small amounts of change. Also, never give the valets your entire keychain, take off the key fob and only give them that. Why? Because they will have the keys to your house and in the glove box, your registration with your home address on it (they have the key to open the glove box if they have your keys). Or if you have a GPS in your car, it is usually programmed with a home address (hint, never use your own address in your GPS for home, use the next door neighbor's). It may be a little unlikely, but they could make copies of your house key - or even take the key ring, and get into your house while your car is parked with them. They know you aren't home and have an idea of how long you'll potentially be gone. Or, keep the key they could have duplicated and break in at a future time. I know it sounds crazy, but it happened. I have a relative who is a detective and he told us about a case where there were robberies that were eventually traced back to a restaurant where people had to valet park. It was 2 valets who worked there, one would take the key when an expensive vehicle parked and depending on where the people lived, they would either copy the key or call a "friend" who was close by and give that person the key and address and they would break in if no one appeared to be at the house. Apologies for the long story! Just never give the valet your entire keychain.
I remember my dad using the local police station's address as home when we first got a Garmin. Once we got that close to home we didn't need the directions.

One of my cars has the best feature - Valet Mode! I enable that before handing off the car and it locks the center console and glove box. You can also set it to limit the top speed and record the drive with it's front and rear cameras. You have to input a PIN code to turn it off. Gives me peace of mind when handing off a sports car to a valet.

My other car never gets valeted. It has a manual transmission. I've had several valets get in and get right back out, telling me they don't know how to drive it. So I've just quit trying if I'm in that car.

One of my cars has the best feature - Valet Mode! I enable that before handing off the car and it locks the center console and glove box. You can also set it to limit the top speed and record the drive with it's front and rear cameras. You have to input a PIN code to turn it off. Gives me peace of mind when handing off a sports car to a valet.

My other car never gets valeted. It has a manual transmission. I've had several valets get in and get right back out, telling me they don't know how to drive it. So I've just quit trying if I'm in that car.
That is a nice feature! You know, I think my dealer may have mentioned something like that for my car, it does so much more than I ever use. Still terrified to use the automatic parking feature. And funny how no one knows how to drive a standard any more!

I agree that taking change is possibly being justified as just padding the tip a bit, or an "idiot-tax", and it certainly would add up over the course of parking hundreds of cars. Who's going to go to the trouble to report a buck or two missing, if they even notice it gone?

I do put my car key & fob on one of these little lovelies to make it easy to detach for services, though: https://niteize.com/s-biner-microlock-stainless-steel#

I had a police officer once tell me that one of the best ways to catch casual thieves was to plant currency in an easily-searched location and make a record of the serial number. He said that in a neighborhood where there have been break-ins or thefts, putting it in a glass jar or large smooth plastic baggy was even better, because the thieves were likely to pull it out instead of taking the container, and so leave fingerprints behind, too. Not leaving it out in plain sight so as to invite window breakage, but where someone who was already inside was likely to quickly look, such as a kitchen or bathroom shelf; because workers inclined to crimes of opportunity found it nearly impossible to pass up cash. (He even suggested including a $2 bill, because people who get those don't quickly spend them.)

I never did bother to put out a trap like that, because I like to think well of tradesmen (my Dad was one), I didn't often have people working inside my place or in my vehicle anyway, but over the past few months we've had several crews working in our basement. Last week DH went to move some power tools and discovered 4 of the tool cases had been emptied.. It was 3 different crews from different repair businesses, and I foolishly never stamped the tools, so we've just had to write them off as a loss. (Somewhere the ghost of my Dad is probably sadly shaking his head.)

Last edited:
Used free hospital valet once for a medical procedure. Had 2 gift cards that were in a closed center console stolen, but as the car was parked unlocked in a garage so no one would take responsibility. About $150 lost. Lesson learned.
:furious: That sounds like total BS on their part. If you had the valet park it for you, wasn't it them that left the doors unlocked? That bogus response alone would have had me going to the wall for a resolution even if it meant I had to annoy the heck out of everyone from the parking authority to the surgeon who did my procedure.

We've used valet tons without problems but only when we're travelling. I can't remember ever leaving one of our own personal vehicles with a valet, only ever a rental with absolutely nothing in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter