Has a CM ever been rude/nasty to you?

I lived the first 22 years of my life in PA and called it soda lol! I don't remember where I first heard the term pop but it was not while I lived in the northeast.

Lived in PA for the last 40 years and have never, once, heard anyone I know call it pop. :confused3 Its always been soda.

We had the worst CM ever in 2012. I've never had a problem with a CM until then. Anyhow, this is from my trip report. I have food allergies and lunch had made me sick so I was dealing with all of this nauseated.

My mom is horribly afraid of heights, but she was determined to ride Soarin. We even waited until our second Epcot day so she could change her mind, but she didn't and we get in line. We ask for a bottom row and she's ready.

We buckle in, start up and the second we get over the "hole" my mom goes, "I don't like this". I'm focusing too much on her passing out to puke I know I can make it the few minutes the ride lasts Mom's holding up okay, but she's got a death grip on the handles and is staring straight ahead.

Right after we get past the Golden Gate Bridge, the movie cuts out, everything goes black and we stop, hanging.

So not good.

They finally pulled us back and we ended up in the starting position, still seat belted in and eventually some safety lights came on

At this point, I'm sick. We were stuck in our seats in the almost dark for over 15 minutes. I'm doing everything I can not to puke (gum , pretzels, meds) and it's not working. This makes me start to panic a little because I just don't want to puke in front of people. My mom decides if I leave she does too because she does not want to go back up there. At all. She wants off so bad. She's the person who doesn't like to "rock the boat" but I could tell I needed to rock it for her. She was shaking.

I feel bad that she has to do it again *if* it starts back up again and she looks more awful than I, so I start trying to get a CM's attention. They are working on the far right front "glider". No one comes to tell us anything, no announcements, no CM's coming to check on us or anything. The row next to us finally flags down a CM on the far right and point to us. A CM yells at us "What" and I ask her to come to us. She yells that she can't come that way and I yell back someone needs off, please. She comes over to the line by us, in the middle section, tells us she can't come over any farther, and informs us no one gets off. She was so snotty about it. Our entire row is arguing with her and so is the row beside us, mainly because of her attitude. She says it's a hazard for her to come over, one step over, then I ask her to please find someone who can. Now.

She rolls her eyes, heaves a sigh and decides then she can do it herself after people are telling her she needs to help us. I can't even begin to explain her crappy attitude. She was sighing and huffing like we were such a bother. The CM let her out, said "Follow me" and when my mom stopped to say something to me, she turned around and yelled at her to "hurry up". My mom was humiliated.

I so needed out of there, but I wasn't going to leave the kids with the way the CM is behaving, so I stayed. My medicine was working a little, and fighting with the CM took my mind off of how gross I still felt. After they were gone, our row, the row beside us and the row in front of us were all telling me to report her. They finally told us it was a seat belt sensor and it was fixed and our ride could begin. We made it through, grabbed our stuff and headed out to find my mom. One of the people who was near us said this was their last ride of the day and they were going to Guest Services on the way out to report what happened and they suggested we do it too.

We found Mom by the desk area and the first thing she asked was "did you get my bag?" Apparently that's what she was trying to ask me when the CM yelled at her to hurry up. I hadn't. She said she had told the CM when they were leaving and was told "we'll deal with it later".

We went to the desk and the guy called and said they would look for it after the next ride. The nasty CM who had led Mom out was at the desk, had never made a call or anything. My mom is having a total panic attack because all of her credit cards, lots of cash, tickets and room keys and her glasses etc are all in that bag.

We had to wait 30 minutes to hear anything. Apparently someone gave it to a CM and then they had to count the cash before they came out and asked mom how much cash and what else was in there. The whole time the mean CM is glaring at us, rolling her eyes etc. This girl was kinda asking for me to hit her.

I was floored. We've been to Disney 5 times, each visit 10 days, and we have never encountered a CM this awful. She was just plain mean, spiteful and hateful. My mom was mortified all because she was trying to conquer a fear and was treated like a second class citizen because she asked to be let off after being stuck on a ride for over half an hour. She said she would have been fine had the ride been just 5 minutes.

When we got home, I wrote Disney a very long email, explaining everything that happened. I knew nothing would come out of it, but I felt better for unloading it all

Imagine my surprise when just a few days later I got a call from someone at Disney apologizing like crazy for our experience with the CM! He assured me that it was in review with Human Resources and depending on her previous record, she would either go in for retraining or be terminated because it was unacceptable. I was so pleased to know that Disney takes their guests complaints seriously. The evil part of me hopes they canned her. The nice part of me hopes they tied her to a boat and sent her It's a Small World 1,000 times or so. She was definitely lacking Disney magic.

The evil part of me hopes they canned her. The nice part of me hopes they tied her to a boat and sent her It's a Small World 1,000 times or so. She was definitely lacking Disney magic.

lol I think getting fired would be the nicer punishment!! :) So sorry that this happened to you guys though!! My mother hates heights too and (even though she loves Soarin') she would freak out if it stopped like that!! Glad you wrote them!

We have gone to WDW annually since 2011, and I went once about 15 years ago. I've only had one bad experience, and that was at CRT.

Our waitress wsa VERY rude, in my opinion. Our little boy was 2 at the time, and I noticed his meal came with grapes. He loves fruit, but I worry about him choking on grapes, so I asked her if they had any other fruit, to which she replied, Do you see any other fruit on the menu? I said, No. Then she said, Well, there's your answer.

When I tried to lighten the mood by asking her for her opinion on the best entrees, and she said, Ma'am, it is all written there on the menu. Maybe if you would read the menu, that would help. How am I supposed to know what you would think are the best entrees?

I didn't want to ruin my little boy's evening, so I didn't say or do anything, but I was really surprised at her attitude as I had never and have never since experienced anyone working at Disney with an attitude like that, fortunately!

Chelley00, it's really sad that you and your mom had such a bad experience on Soarin', and that the CMs (all of the ones involved, really) handled it so poorly. They should have made an announcement as soon as the ride was stopped and the guests weren't let off to let you guys know what was going on, and if the CM who got you out of your seats couldn't contain her own frustration with the situation she should have stepped away and gotten someone else to help instead of waiting around at the desk and simmering at you.

What I thought, though, when I read this part...

She says it's a hazard for her to come over, one step over, then I ask her to please find someone who can. Now.

She rolls her eyes, heaves a sigh and decides then she can do it herself after people are telling her she needs to help us. I can't even begin to explain her crappy attitude. She was sighing and huffing like we were such a bother. The CM let her out, said "Follow me" and when my mom stopped to say something to me, she turned around and yelled at her to "hurry up". My mom was humiliated.

If she said she couldn't do it because it was a hazard, then it was really something she wasn't supposed to do and she broke some serious safety rules by doing it for you anyway. Cast members have literally died at the Disney Parks from being in unsecured ride areas, so if she said it was a hazard to take that one more step my assumption is that the ride was not locked out/tagged out and there was still the chance it could start moving again, in which case the ride cars could hit anyone standing by them. That's probably why she rushed you so hard getting you out of there, too; when you got up out of those seats you were in danger.

This isn't me defending her actions. Once you explained your need to get off the ride, both her reactions to the request were incorrect. First she refused to get you out (not okay), and then she bowed to pressure to unload you in an unsafe way. It was not okay for her to snap at you, but she probably did so because she knew you needed to get out of the area as quickly as possible. What she needed to do once she understood the situation was to get the CMs working on the ride to lock it out and unload you. :guilty:

Sounds to me like a CM who ran into a tough situation, didn't know how to react, did all the wrong things, got really frustrated, then made it worse because she was frustrated. It's all very human, but I'd say that's someone who probably shouldn't work in attractions.

I have had two bad CM interactions and I love that I am able to say that in both cases, another CM made everything better and magical within minutes.

WDW - We had a ticket snafu and my DH had pulled the wrong ticket out of his wallet one day. He ended up using a non-expiring one day ticket instead of the 10 day ticket we had for that trip. Well two years later, this is discovered and I am totally surprised to be turned away at the gate. They were able to look up everything in our account and see the day that it was used and see that we have used 9 of 10 days on the ticket from that trip (FYI - I was amazed at the records at their fingertips). Obviously this was our error but the guy at guest relations was just so rude and mean about it. He started out like I was trying to scam them and ended it like so sad, too bad, go away. He was not Disney-like at all. A different CM heard the story and issued me a comp ticket within 2 minutes. The first guy was so mad that he walked away.

DL - A CM met us at the exit of the small coaster in Toontown and told us we would need to walk really far to get a wheelchair time. I just couldn't manage the walk because we had just trekked all of the way there (uphill and in the heat). I was almost certain that he was wrong but I asked for a manager and he said he was one. I begged him to help us - just let us wait without going all the way back to the kiosk (we had a DAS too) but he was adamant our options were to wait in the line, go to the kiosk for a wheelchair time, go to the kiosk for a DAS time, or not ride. So we did our best to manage my son in line as it was only 20 minutes but we made it not 2 minutes before a CM approached him and offered help. She found out what happened and the guy was totally wrong - there was no wheelchair time for that ride (you just waited at the exit). She personally met us at the exit and apologized up and down and we got to ride it twice in a row. That guy was working the ride at that point and wouldn't even make eye contact with me. It was obvious that found out he was wrong - hopefully he learned for the next time a family with a wheelchair or stroller as wheelchair arrive at his exit.

My story is tame compared to others but here goes. At MNSSHP last year we wanted to do the special magic shot by the Haunted Mansion (with the buggy). There were two PhotoPass staff there, one seemed to be taking the picture, the other was giving instructions on how to pose. She told us how to pose but I am hard of hearing and didn't catch it. My SO didn't realize I didn't hear and started to do the pose and I leaned in and started to say "Excuse me?" but she snapped "Well at least one of you is listening to me." I DID hear that. I felt like an idiot and I let it put more a damper on the night than I should have. :(

To top it off, the "magic" wasn't even added to the photo. I didn't know until much later that I could have called about it. Hoping to make up for it this year.

There are some real horror stories here!

For those of you have bad experiences, please report it. It doesn't take much time to stop by guest services. I know when you're upset you don't want to mess with it sometimes, but unless it gets reported, nothing gets done about it.
Then it leaves that CM still dealing with guests and thinking how they act is ok.

Of course, if it's good you should tell them too!

From the phone CM's to the ones at resorts and parks.... I have never ever had anyone be unpleasant to me...

Wouldn't say the CM was rude persay.. Well, maybe I should. Had a fast pass for BOG and of course we became the statistical glitch and our FP didn't show us in the system. This CM didn't care, was unsympathetic and just wanted me to move out of the way. He did ask me for a confirmation number, which is less than amusing since I did not receive one when booking my FP.
I got so upset, I had to go find a spot to sit down so I could pull up the stinking website to show them I had that stupid FP. Of course when I went back up to the stand to show him, he was gone.

Son of Gadsden said:
The amount of bad CM experiences we have had are far outweighed by the good.

We haven't had many, so they few we've had stick out.

While waiting for a monorail, I asked one of the CMs at the gate if there was transportation available anywhere on property to Universal because we wanted to see Wizarding World. He raised an eyebrow and looked at his buddy, grunted and laughed, then said "Oh course not. Universal is our competitor. Why would we help you get there?" He then continued on with a condescending business lecture like I needed one. I then noticed the next day there were in fact buses that will take you to Universal on the ticket center loop. I just thought it was unnecessary. Even if he truly didn't want to help me get to Universal, the attitude was not necessary. He could have politely said "I don't know anything about Universal. You'll have to pursue a third party to find out about that." I half expected to hear that anyway.

Those buses aren't owned or operated by Disney.
Monorail loading platform Cast Members can't see the TTC parking lot.
CMs don't use the TTC lot.

I was shocked and explained that I did not, but the other half of my party might because she is from Australia and that appparently is not what they do (even though she has lived here for 25 years) there. He was put off and said "Well Merry Christmas to you too!", really snotty. I was embarrassed. And ticked, at my friend.

You went to WDW with Mr. Pink?

ibdpouR0SfJXbL.gif

No - with Springs1 :rotfl2:

Most of my CM interactions have been very good, but two unpleasant ones come to mind. Last Nov.2013, I was on a disney bus from DD back to the POP after 8 pm one evening, when, after about 8 minutes or so into our route and after navigating some of the construction, the bus was flagged down by two off duty Dis bus drivers on the side of the road. They yelled at our bus driver to pull over and get off the bus as he shouldn't be driving this route. He pulled the bus over to the shoulder, left it idling and went outside to discuss this with the off duty drivers. We sat there for 30 minutes while they debated this and the drivers' began to yell at one another. I don't know if there was a route error or there was a labor dispute brewing but this should have been sorted out before guests got on the bus. A father of 3 young children sitting across from me yelled out at the driver to please either call dispatch for another driver to be sent or to please drive us to the POP as the children were tired and it had been a long day. One of the off duty drivers then got on board and screamed at the father to shut up as this wasn't his business and he didn't understand what they were dealing with in their jobs with Disney. That was the polite version of it as she used much more direct language with the father in front of his children and the rest of the bus. She really raged at the father. Whatever was going on, guests shouldn't have been left at the side of the road, while the drivers had a yell at one another, and then turned on their passengers. I couldn't see the off duty driver's name tag or I would have reported her. Eventually, one of the off duty drivers called dispatch, they discussed their issues further on the side of the road, and our driver ended up getting back on the bus and driving us home. The second incident I had was with the POP's concierge also in Nov.2013. I picked up a cold on the flight down, it developed into bronchitis, and I was really ill by the end of my stay. I had tried to cancel a dining reservation on my itouch multiple times before the cut off time but couldn't get service in the parks and service was spotty at the POP then. I approached the concierge to ask her to please cancel my dining reservation for that evening as I was sick & had had to leave the park early to rest. She replied "yeah, right. I bet you are sick. I hear that everyday. I'll do it this once but don't ask me to do it again." No doubt she hears many excuses for late reservation cancellations when guests want to avoid the $10 fee. However, an ill guest who hasn't been able to cancel in advance due to poor wi-fi service, is a pretty good excuse for waiving the fee. I looked like heck and my voice sounded just as bad, so this wasn't a stretch to believe. She did cancel the reservation in silence, did waive the fee in the end, and I went up to my room to collapse.

On the other hand, I have also had some great CM experiences. For example, two yrs ago, also at the POP, I had a CM run back to the kitchen to get me the last King Cupcake when there weren't any left in the display. She had been cleaning tables, overheard my request to the younger CM behind the counter, and when the younger CM just shook her head & said she didn't know what it was, this CM stepped in. She went out of her way to chat about how proud the CMs at the POP were of the online coverage of some of their food items and asked me how I had heard about it, etc. After I had the cupcake, I walked up the POP concierge and asked if I could complete a positive customer survey re a great CM experience. His jaw dropped and it took him a few minutes to find the paper. While I was filling it in, I asked why a CM with that much experience and skill would be cleaning tables. He explained that the CMs in the POP cafeteria all rotate their positions so they can interact in different ways with guests. Guess I learned something new! Now, a friendly CM with a cupcake doesn't cancel out a scary bus experience and a rude concierge, but with 8 or more disney on property stays, I can say over 90% of my CM experiences have been very good. I would second the earlier sentiment that the poor experiences have been happening with more frequency in the past few yrs and that these poor experiences would have been very rare even 10 years ago. Cheers!

So far I have found this thread entertaining, horrifying, educational, informative and definitely popcorn worthy.

Thank you!

We had one experience with a server at ESPN Club that was less than magical. Shortly after our server had taken our order I began to feel unwell. It came out of nowhere as I'd been fine a few seconds before but all of a sudden felt very sick and light-headed. I hate making any kind of scene and wanted to stay and try to eat but it became apparent very quickly that I would need to leave. DH explained the situation to our server while I was in the restroom and asked if we could get our food to go. She told him this was no problem. Now feeling really unwell, and very embarrassed, I waited outside while DH got the food and paid.

When the food arrived it was plated and DH asked again if we could get this to go, reminding the server that I was ill. At this point her attitude changed completely and she sighed and rolled her eyes before heading off to get some boxes. She dropped them on the table, telling DH he'd need to put the food in the boxes himself - he had no problem with this, just the rude tone she used while telling him this. He was left with the feeling that he had done something to offend her and I felt even worse after hearing this as I already felt bad about having to leave so soon after being seated.

I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it and probably just forgot what DH had said but it made me feel awkward and embarrassed. We've never been back to the ESPN Club because of this, which I know is silly but I just couldn't help feeling like she thought we were doing something wrong.

Yes, but it's definitely the exception rather than the rule although it has happened on several occasions (i've been going to WDW since '72)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter