Harry's Holidays

Lord Manhammer

DIS Veteran
While flipping through the spectrum app today looking for the Patriots game, I noticed no fewer than three different channels playing one of the Harry Potter movies. It seems like these films are inextricably linked to the holidays. Are the holidays and Harry synonymous for you?

Yes!

Christmas at Hogwarts is just gorgeous and that's why we include the series, we start at Halloween and keep going. The visuals and sentiment at the holidays are just very endearing.Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 7.55.55 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-17 at 7.56.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes. The first movie came out during the holiday season and up until that point we had not read any of the books but decided to go see it and loved it so then bought the first 4 books. After that we continued to see each movie in the theater and pre-ordered books 5-7 to read as they were released. We watch the movies when they are on tv different times of the year and twice a year on Harry’s birthday and around the holidays I reread all 7 which usually takes a month or so depending on my schedule.

I have definitely noticed that Harry Potter stuff is associated with Christmas a lot, and I never really understood how it is considered a Christmas movie. I have seen all of them once... I binged them during Covid, so I could have easily forgotten the connection.

That said, I guess it isn't really too far-fetched, there's a lot of Star Wars Christmas stuff out there too and I never really considered Star Wars a Christmas movie. Although, I hear there IS a Star Wars Christmas special out there somewhere.

Reactions: GAN
I have definitely noticed that Harry Potter stuff is associated with Christmas a lot, and I never really understood how it is considered a Christmas movie. I have seen all of them once... I binged them during Covid, so I could have easily forgotten the connection.

That said, I guess it isn't really too far-fetched, there's a lot of Star Wars Christmas stuff out there too and I never really considered Star Wars a Christmas movie. Although, I hear there IS a Star Wars Christmas special out there somewhere.
The Star Wars Christmas Special makes The Room look like Citizen Kane.

DS#2 GF is a serious Potter Person and every December she marathons the movies to get ready for holidays.

I think there are lots of people who connect them to the holidays.

I have definitely noticed that Harry Potter stuff is associated with Christmas a lot, and I never really understood how it is considered a Christmas movie.
Just like the first Die Hard movie.... 😄 Shall we start the discussion again????? No offense Kathryn, I just used your post to make a funny....@Lord Manhammer

The holidays always get mentioned (which is actually a bit amusing if you think about the whole "wizarding world" aspect -- why just Christmas?) However, I think it's more that they are so very British in style, and for some reason, Americans tend to love to associate England with Christmas traditions, especially ones that are fun for entire families. (A few times a year for about 10 years now, we will decide to order pizza and have a family HP marathon, usually when the kids are on a school break.)

It seems like every weekend there's a HP marathon on somewhere! If it's not HP then it will be a Star Wars or Marvel marathon.

I don’t associate the Harry Potter movies with the holidays. And here they seem to be on fairly frequently almost all the time.

What I do associate them with are my children’s birthdays. The movies were often released around their birthdays and going to see the newest one was part of the celebration.

New Years Day with Harry is my yearly tradition - I watch from the minute I wake up until the minute I go to bed. Obviously I can’t watch them all, so I have to decide which ones to watch every year. I really should start on NYE so I can fit them all in.

I’ve said this on past threads - NYD is my day off from life - I do absolutely nothing all day. The most exertion I do is walking from my bed to the couch and to get something to eat. When the girls were young they knew that if they needed something, that need to ask Dad. Everyone is welcome to join me, just don’t ask anything from me - LOL! This is my most favorite day of the year - LOL! I have just one day a year that I do this and it’s wonderful :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter