Harry Potter Rides vs Disney-motion sick

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
At Disney I can do Slinky, Rise, Flights of Passage, Remy. I can't do Space Mt, teacups, Rockin Roller Coaster, Everest.....soooooo knowing this....how is Escape From Gringotts, Forbidden Journey and Hagrids?

I was fine on Hagrids and Escape from Grincotts. The one in the castle (is that forbidden journey, don't remember) was BAD for me. I felt sooo sick after. I also made the mistake of trying the simpson's ride and spent the entire time trying not to get sick.

My son, who is relatively ok, with motion, felt bad on Forbidden Journey. I was very worried for him for Simpsons and he said it was fine. Who knows! I can't do any of the rides you listed and I barely went on anything at Universal. I tried Hagrids b/c I wanted to see it, and the backwards part did me in - which is the big reason I cannot do Everest.

I was fine on Hagrids and Escape from Grincotts. The one in the castle (is that forbidden journey, don't remember) was BAD for me. I felt sooo sick after. I also made the mistake of trying the simpson's ride and spent the entire time trying not to get sick.
Can you just close your eyes on Gringotts.....that's how I do Flights of Passage if it gets to be too much.....Does the ride whip you around or is it just screens that could potentially cause an issue with motion. THANK YOU

My son, who is relatively ok, with motion, felt bad on Forbidden Journey. I was very worried for him for Simpsons and he said it was fine. Who knows! I can't do any of the rides you listed and I barely went on anything at Universal. I tried Hagrids b/c I wanted to see it, and the backwards part did me in - which is the big reason I cannot do Everest.
Thank you! I think I will be the "bag holder" and do a lot of people watching. Good to know about backwards on Hagrids...I couldn't do that. I don't love Slinky but I can do it with my eyes closed....and for Flights of Passage I have to close my eyes some too. I hate coasters though....the drops and twists do me in. for simpsons can we just close eyes I wonder? Is it screens that cause the issues and thank you!

Can you just close your eyes on Gringotts.....that's how I do Flights of Passage if it gets to be too much.....Does the ride whip you around or is it just screens that could potentially cause an issue with motion. THANK YOU
Gringotts (in the bank) didn't bother me at all, we went on it several times. I do the same thing with flights of passage. The one in the castle was HORRIBLE, shutting my eyes really didn't help. LOL's, don't even attempt Simpsons! I had my eyes closed pretty much the entire time on simpsons and still had to do some breathing exercises to not throw up.

Gringotts (in the bank) didn't bother me at all, we went on it several times. I do the same thing with flights of passage. The one in the castle was HORRIBLE, shutting my eyes really didn't help. LOL's, don't even attempt Simpsons! I had my eyes closed pretty much the entire time on simpsons and still had to do some breathing exercises to not throw up.
thank you!!! This is VERY helpful!

I think Gringotts is the least likely to cause motion sickness, and it's a fun ride. No motion sickness issues for me on that one. Forbidden Journey is rough, but I love it so much, I do it once per trip anyway. I didn't expect Hagrid's to make me feel sick, but I felt slightly nauseous after, I think due to both the backwards part and the multiple launches. Huge mistake to ride Forbidden Journey right after Hagrid's - I was done for the night after that.

Reactions: AJA
At Disney I can do Slinky, Rise, Flights of Passage, Remy. I can't do Space Mt, teacups, Rockin Roller Coaster, Everest.....soooooo knowing this....how is Escape From Gringotts, Forbidden Journey and Hagrids?

I think it depends on what makes you motion sick. Is it spinning? Speed? Fast turns? Screen rides? Backwards? Upside down?

Let me preface the rest with a warning that if you don't like spoilers of rides, don't continue reading.
I've ridden all those, minus Slinky dog, but including Guardians of the Galaxy, Star tours and Soarin'. Out of all of them, and the Universal rides you mentioned, I only get motion sick on Guardians and Forbidden Journey. Spinning makes me very, very sick, but I can do all roller coasters without issue, along with screen rides like FoP, Star Tours and Remy's. (some people can't do screen rides as it triggers sickness) Forbidden Journey is smooth, but the movement of the ride vehicles really got me and I had to close my eyes a few times. I think it was the quick up and down motion, like bobbing, if that makes sense, almost like a boat on rough water. Guardians has A LOT of spinning motions, but the roller coaster part is fun. I don't usually do any ride that spins, like teacups, Astro Orbiter, Dumbo, etc.

Gringotts is my favorite ride in the Harry Potter worlds! Hagrids is fun, but VERY fast and does go backwards at one point and has a sudden drop. Not a hill, but an actual drop where the whole track and train drops down several feet at once. It's MUCH faster than Gringotts, with several launches. If speed makes you motion sick that should be a consideration. If you do Hagrids, I suggest sitting in the side car and not on the bike. Gringotts is not what I would call super fast, but it does have screens and fast motions. Nothing that spins, which is what gets me. I could ride it all day, I love it so much!

You can close your eyes if it gets to be too much. I had to do it on Forbidden Journey and Guardians in Epcot. It helped me to re center myself for a second or two.

HTH!

Forbidden Journey is by far the worst. The combination of screens and movement is rough. Hagrid's is a coaster with no screens, so that is not as bad for me, but you seem to have trouble with coasters anyway. TBH all three of the rides are at least as intense/nauseating as Everest or Space Mountain, so you might be out of luck.

I'm going next week and I will be loading up on Dramamine. :)

Thanks everyone! I sent the family on first and pretty much every ride they came back saying mom would have hated it! So I didn't do too many rides but enjoyed some shows, Hogwarts Express, watching the big coasters and taking it all in. Appreciate the feedback here!

What aspect of EE does it for you, the general ride isn't not intense at all, but while my DH was ok on it, he said that the backwards section was not good for him. I don't feel it is as bad as EE as it's only got one turn versus an ongoing helix. That is the only part I think that might cause some motion sickness.
Gringott's isn't intense but utilizes 3D screens for a lot of it, the ride feels very much like Transformers/Spider-Man for the most part with some short coaster sections. The ride vehicles do spin some but not fast or for extended periods. If you can handle some mild short spins you should be ok on it. I think the most at a time is 2 rotations, but usually does partial to 1 rotations and only happens a few times spread throughout the ride as it moves between scenes. You can close eyes during the screen parts if needed as well.
Forbidden Journey (the one in Hogwarts castle) is one that can really bring motion sickness. IT moves you around a lot and has you bobbing around during screens. Back to back rides made me nauseous and last time we went I had to close my eyes during the screens. My DH got sick a short period after the ride, though he had forgotten his Dramamine and sea bands that day.

I am fine on EVERY ride except Forbidden Journey... and I love HP. I really hope those rides that swing you around on a mechanical arm aren't the future or else I won't be able to ride newer rides.

To be honest, I am a little bit concerned about Universal rides. As I age, I get *more* motion sick on theme park rides. My daughter is a VERY motion sick person too.
I don't want to miss something awesome, but I also don't want to be sick!
I was fine on Expedition Everest (but that was 12 years ago) coped, but felt sick on Space mountain, and I absolutely will not ride astro orbiters or teacups, cos the spinning is the worst thing.
We all found Crushes turtle coaster in DLP very nauseating, but Ratatouille was awesome and no bother at all (they had warnings for motion sickness on Rat, so we were worried)

To be honest, I am a little bit concerned about Universal rides. As I age, I get *more* motion sick on theme park rides. My daughter is a VERY motion sick person too.
I don't want to miss something awesome, but I also don't want to be sick!
I was fine on Expedition Everest (but that was 12 years ago) coped, but felt sick on Space mountain, and I absolutely will not ride astro orbiters or teacups, cos the spinning is the worst thing.
We all found Crushes turtle coaster in DLP very nauseating, but Ratatouille was awesome and no bother at all (they had warnings for motion sickness on Rat, so we were worried)
I am very prone to motion sickness as well. We are getting ready for our first trip to Universal so I can't weigh in on the rides there yet. If I wear motion sickness bands, there isn't any ride at Disney that bothers me. I have learned with Mission Space to look forward all the time though. I swear by the motion sickness bands. They are inexpensive and I don't feel drugged up all day like I do with medication.

I am very prone to motion sickness as well. We are getting ready for our first trip to Universal so I can't weigh in on the rides there yet. If I wear motion sickness bands, there isn't any ride at Disney that bothers me. I have learned with Mission Space to look forward all the time though. I swear by the motion sickness bands. They are inexpensive and I don't feel drugged up all day like I do with medication.
Ooh, we have a bunch of those bands, I will be sure to take them!

What is good to take for motion sickness on these rides?

Exact same for me! I have the same issue with the original poster's rides and feeling sick. I would skip forbidden journey for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter