• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

hardcover photo books

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
We recently got back from a safari in Kenya and have some amazing photos. The kids want to make their own keepsake hardcover photo books of the pictures taken. Who has high-quality books and a well-designed interface? My kids have never done this before but I think this would be a good project for them before school starts. Some of the photos are panoramas that would look great spanning 2 pages.

We recently got back from a safari in Kenya and have some amazing photos. The kids want to make their own keepsake hardcover photo books of the pictures taken. Who has high-quality books and a well-designed interface? My kids have never done this before but I think this would be a good project for them before school starts. Some of the photos are panoramas that would look great spanning 2 pages.
I've found Shutterfly to be good.

My go-to is Blurb.
I use Shutterfly on occasion for a quick little book but for a trip-of-a-lifetime, go with Blurb.
Get the book made and ready then get on the email/facebook list for promo codes.
They often go as high as 35 percent off.

I used to be into scrapbooking, so not a lot of experience with the make-on-line ones, but I do have a Shutterfly one I like.

I've used Shutterfly for a variety of trip books and been pleased. I've used premade templates/layouts and done some more creative ones. Especially if this is your kids' first foray into trying this I would start with Shutterfly. It's pretty user friendly and easy to work with for beginners I think.

One piece of advice I would give is that I found dropping in text boxes that describe some specific memories, events, funny quotes, etc. are a great way to remember parts of the trip. The first few books I did had a lot of captions for our phots (i.e. Fun Time, Travel Memories, Great Day, Night Out, etc.), but the ones I've done later I make a point to also include some specific memories of the day. Some favorite things we saw or did, funny recollections or thoughts, notes about the weather, silly quotes you remember, descriptions of food, specific recollections of experiences or memorable moments (big and small). They don't have to be essays or anything like that, but I found some specifics in addition to the fun captions really help keep the trip alive in your memory and add a lot to the photo/scrap book. Just my 2 cents :rolleyes1 .

If they really get into I bet that by the time the holidays roll around there will be some coupon codes for a higher quality option if you really feel you need it, but I've been pleased with Shutterfly's quality and layouts. What a trip of a lifetime to document and remember! Hope they have fun reliving it.

Edit - I've used Snapfish for a few hardcover books, and been happy with them.

Last edited:
I have made several photo books with Snapfish and have been very happy with the quality.

If you are a Costco member, Shutterfly now has partnership and you can get 50% off (without having to wait for codes). I just did a 60th birthday book as a gift and got the higher price color and paper and am very happy with the result. Without the Costco discount, I think Mpix is very good too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter