• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. - Corey Click Here

Hard Rock Hotel

n8smom

Earning My Ears
hi there--

We're thinking of coming a couple of days early to spend at Universal--(Jan-02) before our WDW adventure-- Has any stayed at the the Portinfino or the Hard Rock Hotels and how are they ETC. ETC.

Thanks n8smom
:)

You might get some input here, but if you check the Universal Studios/IOA Forum you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know about HRH, and them some.

I had a great time at the Hard Rock and Portfino Bay this year. The rooms were large and reasonable priced. The staff was pretty funky (in the good way), but not as friendly as Disney's CMs. I loved the music all around the resort (including underwater and the waterslide is nice.

There is a forum on this very site that gives all the details you want, and some savings tips. Just go the DIS Discussion Formuns list at the top of this page, then scroll down to the Universal Forum.

Have a super trip.

By the way, this was moved from the Disney Resorts forum. Just so you don't think I'm nuts.

We were at Hard Rock Hotel this past August for 7 nights. The
resort was great! The best advantage was showing your hotel
room key and being able to go in a special "very short" line on
every ride and attraction at IOA and Universal Studios. Any
other specific questions?

We spent three nights at the HRH this September and it was GREAT! The room was wonderful, access to the parks was great, FOTL was great, everything about it was great! I'd recommend it to anyone. ;)

We stayed at the Portafino along with another family and loved it.
We liked the idea that it was much more quiet the the Hard Rock.
My friend stayed at the Hard Rock several months ago and was not happy at all. The even gave her a free stay to use in the next year she said no way I was not happy there and I would not waste my time. The Hard Rock reminds me of a cheap Disney resort. Too much noise and activity. Just my opinion

Guess it's a matter of what you prefer. We like visiting the PBH, but it's just a little too quiet for us. We (including the kids) prefer to stay at the HRH, which is nothing like a cheap Disney resort. Every budget Disney resort I've visited has many 'motel like' buildings and a big central food court where everyone goes to eat. HRH on the other hand is a 4 star hotel with some very nice restaurants, room service (and not just pizza) and all the other amenities you would find in a quality hotel. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind refusing a free stay there.

I agree with Johare. I am NOT a youngster and I loved the HRH. It was not loud or cheap at all. Yes, there is music playing, but it is not annoyingly loud. The HRH can not be compared to a cheap WDW resort. If you want extreme quiet go to PBH. If you have children or like to see people having fun, go to HRH.

We love the HRH. We stayed there with our 2 kids (11 &3 at the time) in April. We did have a bad experience with housekeeping but they bent over backwards to make up for it. There is nothing cheap about it. The pool is wonderful (unless you like to swim laps). The best thing about HRH is it is only a 10 min(if that) walk to US. PHB would ba a long walk to the parks.

I stayed at the Hard Rock in May and "cheap" it ain't...

It's a 4 star hotel with all the bells and whistles. I have stayed at the cheap Disney hotels and the luxury ones and it's up there with the best. I cannot agree about the staff not being nicer though, but that's depends on the people you run into. I had a horrible experience at a Disney hotel, but I returned because people do have their days... can't blame it on the whole establishment.

I will be staying at the PBH in January, MUCH to my son's chagrin. He thought the HR was much cooler too, but I just want to try it out. We'll see. He preferred the Dolphin to the All Stars so maybe the grown up side of him will come out, too!

we stayed at hard rock in may and it was great-nice big comfortable rooms-great pool area-nice people-nice little gym in hotel and 1 minute walk to universal -we have stayed at poly in disney and contemporay in disney and all around this is better.:)

Robin, I think your son will like PBH. He will like the huge bathroom and the tall beds. When I sit on the bed, my feet don't touch the floor!

Ages 40+ tend to like Portofino Bay better. Kids, teens, and young adults tend to like Hard Rock better.

Portofino is slightly more expensive.

It's up to you but they are both excellent. Wherever you stay, make sure you eat dinner at Mama Dellas at Portofino Bay!

We've stayed at basically every disney hotel and much, much, MUCH prefer Hard Rock to any. The rooms are huge compared to the dinky little spaces you get at disney for $300 a pop! Also the rooms are very bright and airy and CLEAN compared to the filth that we stayed in at WL one time. If I had to compare it, it would be to the GF, and given a choice I would pick the HRH.

For the $149/night that we spent for a 500+ square foot room (room 2101), we were absolutely delighted and will be back ASAP!!!!!

We loved walking to the resorts, loved the pool, loved the ambience.

It is a totally classy resort.

Just got back from a 1 night stay at the HRH and everything was great as usual! One of the nicest, friendliest, cleanest hotels anywhere.

It defenitely sounds like you can't go wrong with either. We have only stayed at the Portofino and love it. When we were there with our kids, ages then 5 + 10, they enjoyed having their own room in our kidsuite.

What we like about the hotel is the quiet atmosphere, elegant but not stuffy; great after a day at the parks. We're spending 6 days there at the end of this month!

Have a great time!

We just got back from a 2 night hotel stay at the Hard Rock. The hotel and the room itself was very nice. You will sleep well there. The beds are very comfy and the pillows and blankets are made of down. The staff was nice, but my DH and I think that the CM's at the Yacht Club were better. The staff at the Hard Rock always seemed to be rushed. The CM's at the YC valet were especially nice.

We stayed 3 nites at HRH and kids & I loved it. Great big room and FOTL is the best!!! My only suggestion is to do Universal last. We did it first and WDW last. My kids were so used to getting FOTL at Univ that is was hard to swallow waiting 20 minutes in line at WDW parks.

Next time, HRH will be last. My motto is always end on a high note

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter