Hard or Soft Rooftop Carrier

DisneyWorldDad

I want to go where the weather suits my clothes
The time has come. With the latest addition to our family of Disney travelers, we just cannot stuff one more thing into the Expedition. With the coolers, TV's, snacks, etc. there is barely enough room for me.

I have been looking online at the different types of rooftop carriers and I notice there are many kinds. I like the hard carrier, but storage (when not in use) could be an issue. I have noticed that Samsonite makes a waterproof soft carrier and I'm thinking that's the way to go. With the storms that pop up in FL, I don't want to be wringing out clothes when we get there. I will not invest in a Yakima or Thule (we don't use it enough) and I can't find a price online for the Sears X-Cargo.

Also, what size is the most efficient. Is bigger better?

Thanks in advance. See y'all in April!

DWD

We have a minivan that we finally outgrew (with having to take food down for my dh's diabetes, we have that much less space!) We just purchased a soft top foldable carrier. We have a 9 hour drive and it usually rains somewhere along the way (or like last year we actually had some sleet coming home!) Anyway, we plan on putting the kids' "pilot cases" the cooler, and a pillow each in the van. In the top we are going to put all the duffle bags, blankets, pillows, and other "stuff" We figure it will give us that much more room. We were pretty tight last year. And coming back with all the extra clothes and stuffed animals. We really like the idea that we can fold it up and throw it in the laundry room and forget about it until our next trip. Doesn't take up any space in the garage and we found them to be much less expensive. I also think that because they are flexible that they conform better when you put odd shaped items in there. I would think with the hard top ones that you are really limited. I could also see if your hard top wasn't filled that things would slide around more.

Good luck and have fun!

We drove from MA a year ago in December and rented a mini-van. We bought the huge soft carrier and it was great. There were five of us and it held all the luggage and we used the back for the cooler, food, etc. When we returned home, we just folded and packed it and put in the attic. We paid about $50 for it.

If you are worried about the rain, couldn't you cover the soft carrier with a tarp before roping/tying/etc. it on? It might give a little extra protection.

BTW, I am someone who has the soft carrier, rather than a hard shell. it's really about the storage for us!!

Julia

We recently drove from Connecticut to North Carolina and used the Samsonite roof top carrier. It worked out good for us and we were able to put quite a bit in it. The only problem we had was when my husband was tightening one of the straps the plastic clip broke so we had to tie the strap in a knot. Other than that we had no problems and as previously stated it's nice because it takes up very little space when you are done with it. We have had ours for several years and used it on several trips with no other problems. Hope this helps your decision.

Kellyann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter