Happy Anni-birth-aversary...A 33 night Celebration & HHN too.....SF & RPR September 2022 TR

Carole, thanks for recommending Vivo. We really don't know where the best restaurants are at Universal, so we will definitely give this one a try. I was surprised that you didn't like Big Fire. It gets so many good reviews that I was thinking about it too.
I am so glad you got out of that scary crowded situation! Universal shouldn't sell so many HHN tickets as it sounds unsafe! I, too, wonder about the SA's trying to do their jobs with a crowd that big. It's nice to know there are nice people in the world who would help you get away from all that. Renews my faith in people:)
I've been taking note of your food suggestions, but I love Italian food so Viva has stuck:) thanks....
ruth
If you are willing to go a bit further "into the woods" there's a fabulous Italian place at Portofino Resort - Bice. We have had both and liked Bice more. But, it's more formal than Vivo. You don't HAVE to dress up (we did not) but the service is a lot more formal with white gloves etc. Still extremely friendly service and they are so accommodating!

Thank you. I have no idea how her family even begin to get over this.

I‘m very thankful we have so many other pictures too of us together and some of her with Devin and on her own, they will be treasured. We felt very lucky to get to know her and have her in our life, even if it was for such a short time. They visited Ireland in the summer, I have some stunning pictures of her and Devin there, and they planned to visit Scotland and England next, they were going to stay with us for part of that trip. It breaks my heart as she would have had a wonderful life and made a difference with everything she chose to do.

Hope you’re doing good…..haven’t seen you post for a while :)
I was so happily reading your trip report and now this. I'm so, so sorry. I really enjoyed your story about her and her Spidey-boyfriend. I remember the warehouse fire, just didn't realize anyone had died, and now to find out it's someone I got to know through your reports... I have no words and I'm so sorry.

I was so happily reading your trip report and now this. I'm so, so sorry. I really enjoyed your story about her and her Spidey-boyfriend. I remember the warehouse fire, just didn't realize anyone had died, and now to find out it's someone I got to know through your reports... I have no words and I'm so sorry.

Thank you. I’m sorry it was a shock to read.

It’s a tough one as it was such a horrible tragedy and such a huge loss for us and everyone who knew her, I debated putting it in the TR at all as it is just so tragic.

But, I couldn’t not put it in, I couldn’t pretend she wasn’t gone as she was part of this TR and we became so unbelievably close. I spoke to a few friends and Devin and decided I had to write about our lovely girl.

Of course they’ve since discovered the company they worked for, Magic in the Sky didn’t even have permits or a licence to store any kind of pyrotechnic in there and the warehouse was officially registered for furniture storage.

We’re so angry. Four young, talented people who had their whole life in front of them died horrifically and one is still in a coma.

It still breaks our heart every time we think of her, we’re struggling with this one.

But thank you for your thoughts and again, I’m sorry that post came as a shock to read.

I think all of us reading your report got to know Lindsey a little through you. I still think of the sheer joy you and Tom brought her when you surprised her with the custom made T-shirt. The photos of that morning are priceless and precious in equal measure.
You have every right to be angry at the negligence of the company.
My heart aches for you and those who loved your girl. Take care of yourselves.

You used the word poke......funnily enough you brought back a memory for me too. My dad used to call ice cream cones, "pokey hats", especially from the ice cream van that used to come around when we were young......just reminded me of him saying....."who wants a pokey hat" when we heard the music from the van.....lol.....it`s funny when something triggers a memory like that.
I’m glad I was able to spark a memory for you too. I used to love the ice-cream van coming around. The rush to find some coins to buy a “poke” or if you were really lucky a “99” which had the chocolate flake in as well.
The vans aren’t so common anymore though one does visit my daughter’s neighbourhood occasionally and so the tradition continues 🍦

I find it hilarious that you started this trip report months ago and I finally just caught up and you're STILL not finished. What a long trip! And what a special meal at Strong Water. I'm so happy for you both.

Your mention of the characters meets in the Marvel area made me remember something hilarious that happened on our New Year's trip. We were walking through and the Green Goblin and his entourage were on the way back to their hideyhole walking behind us. I looked back and saw them but my 13yo daughter was totally oblivious. She was chattering away and doing her usual "Anna amble" which consists of weaving around, stepping backwards, tripping occasionally, and sometimes whirling around. :tongue:Well she whirled right into the Green Goblin and got quite a start! He pointed at her and said "Watch it, kid" and I just started laughing. It was so funny and so typical of her. :rotfl2:

We were at Disney World for Hurricane Matthew in 2016 and sadly it cancelled our Halloween Party plans as well as a dinner we were looking forward to. It was interesting to see Disney in action for that, we were so glad to be at Animal Kingdom Lodge with indoor hallways so we could leave our room. Others staying in the cheaper hotels with exterior hallways were trapped inside for the duration. When we finally got to go out, Disney Springs was the only thing open and the place was beyond mobbed!

I think all of us reading your report got to know Lindsey a little through you. I still think of the sheer joy you and Tom brought her when you surprised her with the custom made T-shirt. The photos of that morning are priceless and precious in equal measure.
You have every right to be angry at the negligence of the company.
My heart aches for you and those who loved your girl. Take care of yourselves.

That did make me tear up. Yes, it was the simplest of things to get for her, she was so taken aback when she saw the gift bag, but she and Devin loved it so much. Yes, I`ll treasure everything we have of her.

I hope to see someone be accountable and pay the price, but I have doubts.

Thank you for your lovely words, I do appreciate them.

I’m glad I was able to spark a memory for you too. I used to love the ice-cream van coming around. The rush to find some coins to buy a “poke” or if you were really lucky a “99” which had the chocolate flake in as well.
The vans aren’t so common anymore though one does visit my daughter’s neighbourhood occasionally and so the tradition continues 🍦

Oh a "99" was always a treat wasn`t it!! One of my brothers would always ask for a bit of my flake, and he had a mouth the size of the Clyde Tunnel, so most of it disappeared.....I do tease him about that! I also remember they offered a very vivid red sauce on top too, I think it was strawberry flavour, but holy moly, it looked like it had been imported from Chernobyl thinking back!

There is a man in our village that has an ice cream van, but he doesn`t go round any streets, he hires it out for events and so on, but yes they are rarer than hen`s teeth nowadays.

I do miss that from our childhood.

I find it hilarious that you started this trip report months ago and I finally just caught up and you're STILL not finished. What a long trip! And what a special meal at Strong Water. I'm so happy for you both.

Your mention of the characters meets in the Marvel area made me remember something hilarious that happened on our New Year's trip. We were walking through and the Green Goblin and his entourage were on the way back to their hideyhole walking behind us. I looked back and saw them but my 13yo daughter was totally oblivious. She was chattering away and doing her usual "Anna amble" which consists of weaving around, stepping backwards, tripping occasionally, and sometimes whirling around. :tongue:Well she whirled right into the Green Goblin and got quite a start! He pointed at her and said "Watch it, kid" and I just started laughing. It was so funny and so typical of her. :rotfl2:

We were at Disney World for Hurricane Matthew in 2016 and sadly it cancelled our Halloween Party plans as well as a dinner we were looking forward to. It was interesting to see Disney in action for that, we were so glad to be at Animal Kingdom Lodge with indoor hallways so we could leave our room. Others staying in the cheaper hotels with exterior hallways were trapped inside for the duration. When we finally got to go out, Disney Springs was the only thing open and the place was beyond mobbed!

This should have been finished long ago.....but with one thing and another, it`s been delayed by a long time! It was a wonderful trip, I don`t think we`ll stay 33 nights again in one trip, so we absolutely made the most of it.

Yes, that meal from Strong Water was amazing, their thoughtfulness was incredible and we were truly grateful to them all.

Oh that`s so funny with your daughter.....lol.......I love seeing characters interact with guests in ways that aren`t usual....they love it too especially when they get a good reaction back. The characters at Universal are phenomenal!!

Indoor hallways are definitely an advantage in things like that. I think mostly all the hotels do a good job apart from the odd instance and yes, crowds do flock back straight away!!!

I forgot how good looking RDJ was in the first Iron Man until you mentioned it (still one of the best actors and humans around in my opinion. Truly changed his life around for the better).

Lovely pictures!

He is gorgeous and a very good actor!!!

Yes, he had a few troubled years, but he is one of the lucky ones that came through the other side. He is an all round good guy who does a lot for the less fortunate, never broadcasts it either. I always admire the ones who don`t advertise all the good work they do. Alice Cooper is another who quietly does a huge amount for various charities and hands on too.

Thank you, glad you enjoy them.

permanently pickled day 🥂.......there really wasn`t a whole lot else to do for us :laughing:
That's hilarious. It seems like the resort handled everything really well through the hurricane and kept everyone happy and comfortable. How fun that you got bonus days too!! But what a weird thing to live through on your vacation.

He is gorgeous and a very good actor!!!

Yes, he had a few troubled years, but he is one of the lucky ones that came through the other side. He is an all round good guy who does a lot for the less fortunate, never broadcasts it either. I always admire the ones who don`t advertise all the good work they do. Alice Cooper is another who quietly does a huge amount for various charities and hands on too.

Thank you, glad you enjoy them.
Well I just have to mention — Mr. Worfie has seen Alice Cooper over 30 times in concert, and eaten at his restaurant. He is a massive fan! ☺️

That's hilarious. It seems like the resort handled everything really well through the hurricane and kept everyone happy and comfortable. How fun that you got bonus days too!! But what a weird thing to live through on your vacation.

lol.....yes, they did a great job of keeping everyone safe and entertained too.

The extra days were fabulous, we did enjoy them a lot. Hurricanes are something we`ve been lucky with over the years, they did affect our arrival once or twice and we have been there through tropical storms, but this was the first time we were actually staying there, and it was fine for us, nothing to complain about at all.

Is your son almost sorted for his venture over here later this month. He must be so excited.

Well I just have to mention — Mr. Worfie has seen Alice Cooper over 30 times in concert, and eaten at his restaurant. He is a massive fan! ☺️

lol....I`d never have guessed that for some reason!!!

I`ve never seen him live, but have only heard good things about his shows!! I admire him as he just seems like the most amazing man in real life.

My friend D, with the Johnny Depp tattoo has met him and said he is as lovely as you`d want him to be too. I like to hear when these superstars are nice and don`t have an attitude because of their fame.

There are some days we just love wandering and making sure we take in every moment of what`s around us and today was one of them, it was so perfect and really quiet down here which was nice considering how busy we knew the rest of the park was. This park matches any park anywhere for being so beautiful, there are plenty of trees and shaded areas, even some folks don`t know about.......sssshhhhhh!!!

i-NShjRpq-X2.jpg

Dudley Do-Rights Ripsaw Falls had been emptied and was now going to be closed till Dec 20th due to damage from Ian, we both said this was the first time we had seen the ride drained before, it was fairly odd seeing it like this.

i-rRL6Zsp-X2.jpg

Kong was on our radar today, not a favourite ride but we do go on it when we feel like it.

i-rcSRBdc-X2.jpg

i-Q3xP46q-X2.jpg

The EP line was deserted today, we walked almost straight to where you pick up the ride vehicle. I do like sitting at the end of a row as opposed to the middle, I hate feeling surrounded, so I was glad to again be first on the row, and the best rows are at the back, so mostly you`ll get them if you use EP.

I wish I loved this ride, but I don`t, it`s just ok for us, so although we do enjoy it it`s a now and again ride and we`d never wait for it if the line was too long, but if you`d never done this ride, it`s worth doing once.

Again, a slow amble round and we decided not to go on JP either, didn`t want to get soaked which you can be depending on how the boat is loaded......if someone tells you you`ll absolutely come off dry......don`t believe them!!

You`ll either be mostly dry, sprinkled a little, heavily splashed or completely drenched. It`s just your luck with the loading. I am guilty of trying not to pull the lapbar tight and leave it as loose as possible.....gives you a much better feeling when you hit that final descent!

We felt like a visit to The Watering Hole again today....not driving was suiting Tom down to the ground and this was his suggestion today....I`ll admit, it`s usually mine!

I ordered the Mai Tai and Tom got The Bird of Paradise, both were full of flavour and very refreshing. I had grabbed a table as Tom got the drinks, and had to go identify myself as the recipient of the second drink. They are on point with the checking ID`s and one drink per ID at Universal which became an issue for someone in the next few minutes.

i-GzdWqZJ-X2.jpg

There was a family that had followed us in, and one of them was annoyed we got the last table, as we were only taking up two chairs I offered them the other chairs and there were two to the side not being used....but, they declined our offer with a look of disdain.....they just looked so angry......anyway, the mother went up for some drinks as the others stood around and the TM asked for ID for the second and third person, they only had ID for one, I would guess the daughter was maybe 19, maybe slightly older, but 21 is 21.

When the mother came back with only 2 drinks the daughter went into one heck of a rant and she began cursing like a sailor to her mother and ranting about everything....it was disgusting. The language she was using to her mother was shocking enough, full blown proper swear words most folks won`t use in private never mind in public and the mother looked completely at ease listening to this. I would have been mortified if that had been my child, adult or not.

One man who had his kids sitting with him went over and told her quite vociferously to quiet down, and she did look a little shocked as he was very clear, but at that the TM came out and said they should leave and would get no more alcohol. I didn`t think they were intoxicated, they were dealing with a bratty teenager who seemed proud to be cursing like crazy. Again the mother said nothing.

Tom muttered, glad they didn`t sit beside us now.....lol.....how embarrassing though to hear anyone curse like that, never mind around families. It wasn`t the first time we had seen someone go off on a rant like that, but it was a good few years ago, not the time or place for that.

I think everyone was relieved to see them leave and we went back to our drinks which were lovely......and quite strong!

We finished our drinks and wandered round to get something to eat as we were beginning to get a little hungry now, we didn`t stop in Hogsmeade as it was so busy, really crowded and wasn`t fun to wander through.

We wandered round to Confisco Grille where we thought we`d have lunch today and it wasn`t too busy in this area either, I think everyone was in Hogsmeade or waiting for the VC that had opened up late morning.

i-xHXj6FH-X2.jpg

We hadn`t made a reservation, something we prefer not to do anytime, so we hoped they weren`t overly busy.....and they weren`t, we had a few moments wait and were shown to our booth where we noticed it really wasn`t busy.

This is one of our favourite places in either park.....don`t get me wrong it`s not always perfect, we`d been served cold ribs and dry chicken once, but they made it right in record time which makes all the difference and when they do that it makes you want to go back again. And only having two not so perfect meals since 2007 isn`t bad at all.

We ordered a fanta and a sprite and I decided to go with the chicken quesadilla for a complete change of meal from here, and Tom went with the Confisco BLTA......without the A, my husband never has discovered how gorgeous avocado is....he has tried, but nope, not for him.

There is an awful lot of bread with their sandwiches in here, probably too much, so Tom didn`t eat much of the bread although it is very nice, the filling was beautiful and I did steal a nibble.

i-XjPKdft-X2.jpg

I had asked for a pot of jalapenos with my order, he did forget and I had to ask for them twice, but eventually they arrived. The Quesadilla was nice enough, not as nice as the ones I`d had from the Bula bar, maybe too much cheese, but they were edible and I did finish most except for the parts that had no filling, which was quite a lot. So, not the best but still ok.

i-HGfV4zq-X2.jpg

i-QMmzDMX-X2.jpg

After we were done we headed back round to see what the line for the VC was like and stopped off along the way for some pictures, we had all afternoon and nowhere to go now.

i-cx4C9hT-X2.jpg

We got round and immediately saw the line for the VC was stretched all the way out beyond where it usually was when we had gone round.

Tom asked if I wanted to wait.......

i-Zg7QZHk-X2.jpg

i-HmvSQwN-S.gif

However, we do love watching and hearing folks on the ride itself, so although we weren`t going to ride it today, we wandered round and watched it for a while in the sunshine, which was lovely.

i-KcwPWWc-X2.jpg

So, somehow or other....... :rolleyes1 we ended up back in the Watering Hole again....and it was a lot quieter than our previous visit today.

I think we got the same two drinks again, and again sat watching the world go by and again, enjoyed the lack of humidity, it was still really warm, I think mid 80`s again, but it felt like perfection sitting here.

i-Z9R7xXz-X2.jpg

We got the refill glasses instead of the tiki cups as we still had our receipt, and she remembered us from earlier, I forget what the discout is for the refill, maybe $5? I should have asked really.

i-hnd3W3m-X2.jpg

We didn`t hang around too long as there were lots of folks wanting a table, so we left and headed back to the front of the park and decided to go back on Spider-Man before we left for home.

The EP line was a little busier than this morning, but we were still on within 10 minutes, probably less, but the regular line was 75 minutes so anything was better than that. The usual guide for EP from Universal has always been you should be on within 20 minutes, sometimes on holidays it will be longer, but on most visits for us, it`s been the norm to be on all rides in less than 20 minutes, usually less.

Spider-Man is a fun ride. Definitely one of our favourites in the parks, even though it spins a little, I early on mastered the old ice skaters spin trick and keep my eyes focussed on the a spot on the ride vehicle in front of me or the back of the person in front of me. It works for me as closing my eyes makes me worse on rides.

So, we can do this a few times at a time, and we usually do.

And many thanks Matt and Rob for the Photopass again........❤️

i-6xvBQTz-XL.jpg

We went on this twice and then headed out of the park as it was incredibly busy now, usually we avoid Saturdays in the parks, so this was quite new to us, but definitely time to leave.

Back in the hotel we got showered, changed and picked up the two bottles for Fernando and Chef Carlos and headed over to Strong Water Bar. We knew it would be fairly quiet at this time of the afternoon, so we hoped we`d be able to catch them both.

And we did, we saw Fernando as soon as we went in and he came over so we could hand him his gift and he was so pleased, of course he wasn`t expecting anything and told us as such, and he got Chef Carlos to come out too as this would be the last time we`d see them both this trip as they were both off Sunday and Monday and we`d be leaving on Tuesday. So we were so glad to catch them today as we`d have hated to miss them.

I think they liked the gifts.

We said our goodbyes and shared our thanks again to both, Chef hurried back into the kitchen and we spoke to Fernando for a while before he headed off too, we both looked forward to seeing them next in May.

The bar was quiet so we ordered a drink, Tom got a beer and I of course....yep, you guessed it......Carole`s Punch!!

i-PzmhMsW-X2.jpg

We were having a good old chinwag with the barstaff, when I spotted our friend who I always say is the nicest man on the planet....I dropped Tom like a hotcake and went out to say hello......he`s used to it and just smiles!!!

He asked if we were staying long in the bar, I said yes we were in no rush to go anywhere, he said he had a couple of things to finish off in his office and he`d come join us......fabulous! We adore this man.

i-Nc2kqfn-S.gif

We moved to a table and had the lovely Reuben take care of us today, he mentioned to us he had never taken care of us before but was glad to finally speak to us properly, nice guy.

I spotted our friend and waved at him as he thought we were at the bar.....it`s easier to chat at a table and chat we would as we genuinely love this guy, known him for many years and Tom would swear this guy is my favourite man in the whole world......lol....he kinda is! I was glad we caught him today as he was setting off for a few days, so we`d have missed him otherwise.

He ordered the Tavern Grog which is what he usually orders, but it looked completely different today.....not as nice as usual.......it did look odd and not very appealing at all.

i-Mv5bdb6-X2.jpg

We called Reuben over and explained that wasn`t the usual Tavern Grog, so could we get something else and of course he then had to get Carole`s Punch...of course. And he really enjoyed them I`m glad to say.

i-mgwG7MW-X2.jpg

We sat together for a couple of hours which was lovely, this guy is usually so busy and we are always grateful for the time he finds for us, but he was finished for a few days so in no rush to go anywhere either. We got another drink or two and then again said our goodbye`s eventually, but we always keep in touch by email when we`re home. We did get a couple of pictures for the first time in a while, I told him I don`t have a recent one of us. Well him and I on our own......lol.....

The bar was beginning to fill up now and it was much later than we thought, so eventually we headed back over to RP and went to the lounge for an hour, we had a couple of folks we wouldn`t see after tonight and we wanted to say goodbye to them, and we did manage to catch them.

This was a night we had no plans at all. We thought should we head into Citywalk again, but neither of us felt like it, so we thought we`d head down to the pool for a watch of the movie and get a bite to eat, ideal for a lazy evening.

The movie was Despicable Me, but we decided not to go in for a swim, we just got a table by the pool and made sure folks couldn`t smoke here....nothing worse than sitting eating with folks smoking close by, you can smell it for miles!!

We had a lovely young lady taking care of us tonight, she was quite new and full of enthusiasm for her job which is always nice to see. We ordered Tom the fish sandwich with fries and I ordered the pulled pork sandwich with fresh fruit, Tom ordered a beer and I had a red wine, I`m not sure what they offered, but it was decent enough.

i-dHnfcPn-X2.jpg

i-MMH7Bsp-X2.jpg

i-X3zCM2s-X2.jpg

Food was gorgeous. Bula Bar is one of the most consistently good pool bars around, never had anything less than perfect from here and if you haven`t had their Nachos, you have to try them. Much nicer than M`ville`s nachos which has shrunk a lot over the years....it`s still big, but not as big as it used to be.

The pulled pork was tasty and the bbq sauce wasn`t too strong, when I saw it, I thought it looked very rich, but it was ideal for me. Tom`s fish was cooked nicely and flaked gently when he ate it, it was all lovely.

i-cHZqxsq-X2.jpg

We sat till the film finished, of course we`ve seen it a thousand times, but it was so nice sitting out here tonight and it wasn`t too busy either which we enjoyed.

We headed to our room around 10ish when they closed the pool and put on some tv. Before I went to sleep I glanced at my ipad and I had an email from Lindsey, just catching up and saying how much they had enjoyed seeing us again. She would be working next few days sadly, we had tried to plan to meet up at some point before we left, but they had their jobs which were so important to them, but it wasn`t to be.

I replied immediately and wrote we`d see them next year for sure when they planned to visit the UK.

I went to sleep drifting off slowly as Tom watched a sci fi film that made a B movie look like an oscar winner!!!

Tell Tom he isn’t the only human who doesn’t like avocado! (Sorry Carole!)

Look I’m the first person to admit I have a trucker mouth, but good lord not only would I NOT have my parents get me a drink underage but I wouldn’t have even thought to do that in front of them. Kudos to the TMs for that one

Look I’m the first person to admit I have a trucker mouth, but good lord not only would I NOT have my parents get me a drink underage but I wouldn’t have even thought to do that in front of them. Kudos to the TMs for that one
I grew up with an avocado tree in our yard and I ate at least one a day all through childhood so I had a HEART ATTACK when I found out how expensive they are when you have to buy them! And they aren't even tree-ripened! SO I will eat all the avocados you and Tom don't want.

lol........I have to admit, first time I tried it years ago, it wasn`t for me, but I tried it again about 20 years ago and loved it. I think it`s the texture with some people.

Yes, it`s not something we see often in the parks is folks trying to get a drink underage, then, I never look for that. And the language was just so innapropriate considering where she was, honestly I`d have been mortified if that was my child, not nice to see.

But, I hope their day got better for them.

I grew up with an avocado tree in our yard and I ate at least one a day all through childhood so I had a HEART ATTACK when I found out how expensive they are when you have to buy them! And they aren't even tree-ripened! SO I will eat all the avocados you and Tom don't want.

lol.....I would have loved that!!! An avocado and lemon tree would have been marvellous to grow up with, wrong climate though here.

Yes, they are expensive and you don`t really get much out of one, so I`m glad I don`t have to share to be honest......lol.....in a completely random poll of all our friends, we were exactly split down the middle of the likes and don`t like......🥑

lol........I have to admit, first time I tried it years ago, it wasn`t for me, but I tried it again about 20 years ago and loved it. I think it`s the texture with some people.

Yes, it`s not something we see often in the parks is folks trying to get a drink underage, then, I never look for that. And the language was just so innapropriate considering where she was, honestly I`d have been mortified if that was my child, not nice to see.

But, I hope their day got better for them.
Oh it’s definitely both texture and taste for me sadly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter