Happily Ever After Strategy to Beat the Crowds

dakotix

DIS Dad #852 from Central Massachusetts
We're looking to develop some kind of strategy to see Happily Ever After where we don't have to be in the middle of a big crowd. Are there any key places around the park which offer a nice view of the show but not get caught up with all those people? We've done it before and always end up getting herded onto Main Street where the crowds seem the worst. I've heard that behind the castle is an option. Appreciate any tips!

We're looking to develop some kind of strategy to see Happily Ever After where we don't have to be in the middle of a big crowd. Are there any key places around the park which offer a nice view of the show but not get caught up with all those people? We've done it before and always end up getting herded onto Main Street where the crowds seem the worst. I've heard that behind the castle is an option. Appreciate any tips!

Depends on what you mean by "the show." There are projections on the FRONT of the castle that are part of "the show." So if you want to see those, you're going to be with the crowds. If you just want the fireworks, then behind the castle is an option, but it's definitely a different view even of the fireworks.

Depends on what you mean by "the show." There are projections on the FRONT of the castle that are part of "the show." So if you want to see those, you're going to be with the crowds. If you just want the fireworks, then behind the castle is an option, but it's definitely a different view even of the fireworks.
In the past there have little "secret" nooks you could find where you weren't nuts to butts. But they have done considerable roping off of areas in recent years so those little known areas aren't accessible anymore.

The grass in front of Casey's Corner is your best bet. People sit down while they wait, but stand up to watch the show, so there will be room not long before showtime. The fencing makes it better than the free for all in the hub.

If you want to see the projections, you need to be in front of the Castle, no real way around it. As noted above, the grass in front of Casey's Corner isn't a bad spot, but still gets crowded. If you don't care about the projections, behind the Castle (behind the Carousel) is a fantastic spot...so is heading down toward BoG. But you need your head on a swivel, as fireworks go off all around you.

Previous shows could be viewed from multiple areas and geta good view. HEA does so much projection on the castle and is a huge part of the show. To really see it well, you need to be somewhere in front of the castle. You can see it from the areas around the hub but that area and Main Street will be crowded. Too far off to the side and you miss the projections.
Behind the castle you will see fireworks, but miss all of the projections.

Ok thanks for the tips. How far in advance should we stake out our spot before the show? We have a 4 yo so staying in one spot for too long is really difficult unless we tag team walks with him here and there.

Ok thanks for the tips. How far in advance should we stake out our spot before the show? We have a 4 yo so staying in one spot for too long is really difficult unless we tag team walks with him here and there.

That depends. If you want a prime spot in front of the Castle, 60-90 minutes is best. If you want an "OK" spot somewhere in the hub, 30-45 minutes will work. A bad spot along Main Street, you may get away with 15-20 minutes (depending on how busy the park is that day). If you are good with being behind the Castle and not seeing the projections, you can literally walk up as it starts.

It really depends on the crowds.
If you will be there during the MNSSHP or MVMCP, the nights of the parties don't have HEA and the park closes to those who doen't have the party ticket. This makes the other nights when they have HEA much more crowded.
About 30-45 minutes watch the crowds. When they really start lining up, that is when I would find a spot. With a 4 yo, I would expect you have a stroller or backpack, etc. You can use that to help reserve an area for the 3 of you. Then you can tag team taking him for walks, over to short rides, etc.

I am travelling during the Halloween party season with my husband and four daughters, who range in age from 5 to 17. We are all Disney first timers. The only thing my husband has said he wants to do is see the HEA fireworks show so I really want to make that happen, but a dessert party for six just isn't in the budget. Reading through the threads, I think I am going to try to stake out a place at least an hour ahead of time in front of Casey's corner, just behind a roped off area if possible (is that a roped area?). We will probably tag team with the five year old until the last 30 minutes so she doesn't fall apart. Pardon my ignorance, but do people ever bring flat sheets to stake out a fireworks spots early? Like could I lay out a flat sheet in our spot and have 3/6 of our party hang out there with the stroller until the last 30 minutes or so before the show? Or does it just get to crazy to early to pull something like that off?To me that is standard fireworks viewing etiquette but I have never been to Disney so I don't really know what staking out a spot looks like :)

I am travelling during the Halloween party season with my husband and four daughters, who range in age from 5 to 17. We are all Disney first timers. The only thing my husband has said he wants to do is see the HEA fireworks show so I really want to make that happen, but a dessert party for six just isn't in the budget. Reading through the threads, I think I am going to try to stake out a place at least an hour ahead of time in front of Casey's corner, just behind a roped off area if possible (is that a roped area?). We will probably tag team with the five year old until the last 30 minutes so she doesn't fall apart. Pardon my ignorance, but do people ever bring flat sheets to stake out a fireworks spots early? Like could I lay out a flat sheet in our spot and have 3/6 of our party hang out there with the stroller until the last 30 minutes or so before the show? Or does it just get to crazy to early to pull something like that off?To me that is standard fireworks viewing etiquette but I have never been to Disney so I don't really know what staking out a spot looks like :)
I was wondering the same thing, but from photos I've seen and reviews I've read, it sounds like a zoo and I'm not sure if I want to put up with the aggravation. How bad is it, really? Crowded but most people try to be polite,or a free for all with people shoving and elbowing?

I like standing on the Main Street railroad station balcony. If you can get a spot pretty much center of the front rail, you have a really good view.

I have found that the front of the park at the beginning of Main Street is a good place to avoid the masses. Yes, there are a lot of people in front of you, but viewing is still pretty good. Since people are trying to get close to the castle, the crowd spreads out toward the front of the park. It's easy to just walk up before the fireworks, and it's very easy to get out of the park after the fireworks.

We always try to get a spot with a railing in front of us so at least the folks that are in front of us are a few feet away. That way when the kids get hoisted up it doesn’t affect us as much.

Something to also note: Watch the ground for the taped off areas. You’ll be able to see where you can and can’t stand. Sometimes finding a spot on the edge of a taped off area works well too.

Doubtful. Forty four square feet of ground cover for six people? MK is way too crowded.

Sorry - I meant one flat sheet total for all six of us.

I like standing on the Main Street railroad station balcony. If you can get a spot pretty much center of the front rail, you have a really good view.

I like that idea! So you go in the building and just find a balcony to hang out at? How early?

I have found that the front of the park at the beginning of Main Street is a good place to avoid the masses. Yes, there are a lot of people in front of you, but viewing is still pretty good. Since people are trying to get close to the castle, the crowd spreads out toward the front of the park. It's easy to just walk up before the fireworks, and it's very easy to get out of the park after the fireworks.

Thanks! I hadn’t really considered Main Street as much. Can you see the projections well from that distance?

We always try to get a spot with a railing in front of us so at least the folks that are in front of us are a few feet away. That way when the kids get hoisted up it doesn’t affect us as much.

Something to also note: Watch the ground for the taped off areas. You’ll be able to see where you can and can’t stand. Sometimes finding a spot on the edge of a taped off area works well too.

I think railing/edges will be key. My teens are all shorties and we don’t want to put the five year old on our shoulders. I am ok with staking out a place even 90 minutes ahead if we can tag team until the last 30 minutes or so and can see. I will look around for railings and tape as we walk through the park during the day. Sounds like railings are maybe the best bet so folks don’t scoot in front of you at the last minute?

Thanks everyone for all of the tips!

Yup, i know. One twin flat sheet is 66" x 96". That's 5.5 feet by 8 feet - or 44 square feet.

Gotcha. Yeah, I think I am finally accepting that real world parade etiquette doesn’t apply to MK. We will stick with the railing/rope plan.

I think railing/edges will be key. My teens are all shorties and we don’t want to put the five year old on our shoulders. I am ok with staking out a place even 90 minutes ahead if we can tag team until the last 30 minutes or so and can see. I will look around for railings and tape as we walk through the park during the day. Sounds like railings are maybe the best bet so folks don’t scoot in front of you at the last minute?

Thanks everyone for all of the tips!

The tape gets laid approx 2 hrs before the show, when folks are starting to find their spots. You won’t see it during the day.

Honestly, go with the railings around the green spaces. It’s really your best bet. And there’s concrete ledging to lean/sit on while you wait.

ETA:
Found this photo on Google Images - the shaded red is exactly our preferred “parking” spot for all fireworks shows.
05107CAB-2E3E-4C0C-99F6-9B65E4529CC7.jpeg

Last edited:
The tape gets laid approx 2 hrs before the show, when folks are starting to find their spots. You won’t see it during the day.

Honestly, go with the railings around the green spaces. It’s really your best bet. And there’s concrete ledging to lean/sit on while you wait.

ETA:
Found this photo on Google Images - the shaded red is exactly our preferred “parking” spot for all fireworks shows.
View attachment 349296
Thank you! This is super helpful. I appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter