Handling meals with peanut allergies

K

kcbean

My three boys have severe nut allergies. We will be staying on property in May and therefore eating all our meals at Disney. Has anyone else been in the same situation and what did you learn about handling this issue.

From earlier trips we learned we can not eat at Rainforest Cafe in DD. Also, the Chef at Chef Mickeys came to our table and talked with us about our choices. He was so wonderful! He even told my children if there was something they wanted but it had nuts to let him know and he would make it for them special without nuts.

Other than those two places, I am not sure where we can and can't go. I would appreciate any of your comments. Thank you!

The chefs at the other WDW restaurants will do the same as the one at Chef Mickey did for you.
I don't have time right now to look for the number, but there is a number for WDW Restaurants where you can ask this sort of question (DH wants to use my computer).
If you do a search for "peanut allergy" you will find quite a bit of info. Search this Board, the Restaurant Board and the Family Board for the most info.

Here are the phone numbers for each park:
Magic Kingdom 407-824-5967
Epcot 407-560-7292
MGM 407-560-1347
Animal Kingdom 407-939-7536

We've traveled to Disney once or twice a year with my son who has both milk and nut allergies. We haven't had any problems. This past year he was able to enjoy an ice cream cone in each park. Ask for a manager at the places that serve hard scooped ice cream. They will use a clean spatula and start a new container to ensure no cross contamination :) We've tried Main Street Ice cream parlor, Liberty Inn (Epcot), Dino Bites (AK). It brought tears to my eyes to have him enjoying an ice cream cone along with us.

Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Chicken Strips and fries are all safe. Frozen Itzakadoozie popsicles, Strawberry fruit bars and frozen lemonade are safe. Fresh fruit, dole whips, frozen yogurts (sunshine tree in Adventureland), baked potatoes, turkey drumsticks and large pretzels are all safe. Pizza at Pizza Planet is safe. I've read to stay away from pizza at Wolfgang Pucks-contains peanut oil. Enjoy your trip!

Phone the food service offices listed above, and they will email special meals info for counter- and table-service in the Parks. They are very helpful.

Thank you!

I am surprised to read that that the folks at the ice cream parlors will open a new container and clean a spatula. That is awesome! My kids will be thrilled because we always have to say no to ice cream for those reasons. I appreaciate your comments. I didn't know you could search this board so I will try that for more info. Thank you!

has anyone w/a nut allergy ever eaten at nine dragons in china? ds LOVES chinese food and has not had it since his allergy was dx'd back in december... i was thinking if any place would make it "do-able" for him, it would be disney... i just don't trust the guys at my local places to understand the severity of the issue and avoid cross-contamination, kwim? i would love for his wdw trip to include chinese food!

There was a rather large thread on one of the boards - the Restaurants one I think - about dining at the parks with allergies (mostly peanut/nut related) and Nine Dragons was discussed. Seems some people ate there with no problems. Try looking for that thread cause there is lots of good info.

I would be careful of both the Chinese and Japanese restaurants. Peanut oil is frequently used due to its high burning point. Be sure they are not using peanut oil to cook.

Call EPCOT Executive Chef, 407-560-7483 and discuss your concerns regarding Nine Dragons. They will send you an Allergy Form, which will be forwarded to the staff at the restaurant. In addition, they will supply information for all counter- and table-service selections in general.

We have a DS with milk, egg, nut, and peanut allergies.

We ran into an issue of a restaurant being TOO restrictive--Marrakesh.

They had the allergy noted on the ressie, and presented us with a list of safe foods--in other words, nut, milk, egg, seafood and wheat free.

Since DS is not allergic to wheat (or seafood) this took many items off the menu he otherwise could have eaten. They would not specify which foods had which ingredients--and in fact our server and the manager, neither spoke very good English--and they would not bring him anything not on the safe list for "liability."

We ran into problems at Chef-de-France, which brought out items with milk in it, and Le Cellier--which served a lovely sorbet--hard to get scoobable milk-free --with a NUT cookie stuck right in the middle.

Also had cheese served in a taco at San Angel.

In general, we discovered that the WS restaurants seem to take a constant vigilance and wariness on the part of the allergic diner which we have not experienced elsewhere in the world. If you're concerned, I might confine dining in Epcot to Coral Reef, where they do a VERY good job with allergies.

In MK they are extraordinarily attentive in the Castle. Crystal Palace is workable, but they've never once had prepared the plain baked potato or rice we requested, and the "walk through" is very public and attention-calling, which my DS hates, and has hated since he was 5. (He's now 17, still allergic; still alive). We do CP because of little sister, but would not if it were up to him.

Donald's Breakfastosaurus was terrific, and the 1900 Park Faire chef was wonderful.

I'm allergic to tree nuts (depending on the type it ranges from mild to severe), peanuts (mild), coconut (moderate, except toasted coconut (mild), and scallops.

The ONLY restaurant I've ever had a problem with is Boma at dinner. There was almost nothing on the buffet I could eat, and nothing on the dessert bar I could eat, and they didnt' offer substitutions.

I haven't eaten at the Chinese place (I have Chinese at home that I'm sure is much better), although I do eat at Teppankaki. But like I said, my peanut allergy is mild, and cross contamination to peanuts isn't an issue.

Bottom line, AVOID BOMA at dinner! (Breakfast was fine!)

Anne

We found the complete opposite at Boma. My daughter is peanut allergic as well as vegetarian. I am diabetic and need to avoid foods with a lot of sugar. In both cases we were shown everything we could have and then told there was not enough and the chef would make us something else. What we recieved was awesome. My daughter a 7 layer vegetarian plate. For me a meal with appetizer, soup, entree and dessert all made without sugar and sweetened with Splenda as I had informed them prior to our visit I cannot have Nutrasweet.

Glad you had a good experience. In my case the chef hurriedly took me through the line, pointing out over 90% of teh foods and saying "you can't have that". He NEVER offered to make me anything else.

Our server brought the drinks and we didn't see him again until after DH and DS were done with dessert. I had a serving of Pap, hardly a dinner, and a serving of veggies. That was literally all I could have. When the server returned and started clearing teh dishes off the table that had piled up, he noticed that I hadn't eaten anything by my one plate, and asked if everything was OK. I told him no, that there wasn't anything on the buffet that I could eat, and at that point, 45 minutes after we had started to eat, he offered to bring me a chicken breast from the kitchen. Well DUH, we were ready for the check, so no thanks. :sad2:

The thing that really got me was that he charged me for a full meal. In retrospect I should have asked for a manager, the service and handling was appalling. I shouldn't have been charged for a meal when I ate less than a child would have. I'm still angry with myself that I didn't take care of teh situation properly. although it shouldn't have come to that to begin with.

I know I'm not the only person with food allergies that's had problems with Boma.

Anne

Anne--

With Boma we have had one 5 diamond magical experience, one "pretty good" experience, and one "could have been awful" experience.

Our situation is that our DS has milk, egg, treenut and peanut allergies, all of them extremely life-threatening, immediate epi-pen or death kinds. He also has Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) to many raw veggies and fruits; this is not life-threatening for him, but produces blisters on lips, mouth and throat if he eats raw carrots, celery, oranges, etc.

On the WONDERFUL experience, the Head Chef walked him through, showed him everything he could eat, and had them make some plain starches. He could eat the sliced beef, and was really happy with it. They made him some plain cooked carrots, and had some pita bread he could eat. What REALLY made it wonderful was that the chef personally made for him not one, but two desserts: deepfried papaya, wrapped in phyllo dough, and a wonderful fruit sorbet. I still remember blinking away tears, because dessert was just not something he ever got away from our house.

On the "pretty good" experience, they walked him through, and there were quite a number of food items he could eat. They cleaned a portion of the grill and did some salmon and chicken just for him, along with some side dishes. These came out in a timely fashion. But for dessert they attempted to haul out the toffutti, which Graham hates, and which Disney now seems to regard as the one size fits all answer to anyone with milk/egg/nut allergies for dessert. I even told them what the chef had done before, and how much he was looking forward to a repeat performance, and they didn't budge.

On the could have been awful experience, it was strange. We were staying at the AKL. We'd eaten there 4 nights previously in the "pretty good" experience. But the food allergy wasn't noted on the ressie--even though I had touched base with them by phone right before the dining room opened. It was pouring rain, cataclysms of it, and the dining room was more crowded than you could imagine. The server was the bottleneck; didn't want to produce the chef; wasn't interested in special orders. Since we KNEW what they could do, I did get both the chef and the manager by the ear, and they did cook him some salmon and produce enough food items to make an adequate meal. And they did charge him only the child price, as opposed to adult. (He was 15 at that time.)

When we go back this summer we will eat there again, since we do love the restaurant. But I'll never make a ressie there during peak dining times again; the first 2 experiences were right as the dining room opened.

If your experience was at all recent, I'd urge you to contact them. I bet they'd give you a "perk" to give them another chance.

Erin

About 13 months ago--funny, it was raining when we were there as well. My problem there is the coconut--it's in EVERYTHING!!!

Anne

erinch said:
But I'll never make a ressie there during peak dining times again; the first 2 experiences were right as the dining room opened.
Erin
Interesting since both times I did eat were off peak. One quite late, the other just as they were opening. The chef who is so awesome was TJ. For the sugar free meal I had explained well before hand to concierge my dietary needs as a diabetic who is allergic to the most common sugar free sweetener at the time (nutrasweet) They were able to get Splenda before I arrived and TJ told me I was the first guest they had that had told them in advance so they were able to learn how to work with Splenda. They also had Splenda sweetened desseerts for me in concierge every night. WOW! were those great!

Talking Hands said:
The chef who is so awesome was TJ.

TJ moved to Boma maybe six months ago from Narcooses. he's been with WDW for a long time now. His best friend is a friend of ours who is also a WDW CM.

Anne

On our recent visit last month, we had some problems regarding a wheat allergy at San Angel Inn in Mexico. The server brought the chef, but he seemed bothered and unconcerned. Our server explained that he too had a wheat allergy, and fortunately corn and rice figured heavily in the Mexican diet. It was a birthday lunch, and they do a wonderful Mexican tradition with singing and a silly hat, but then served bread pudding with a candle.

We later followed-up with Food Services, and they explained that the WS restaurants are simply 'participants', not Disney-managed kitchens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter