Handicapped adults in kids clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone for your input. Let me also add the following:
1) My s-i-l lives in an apartment complex with other hanicapped and senior citizen people. She is watched to make sure her needs are met. She has a routine that she follows. She does her own laundry. (not well all of the time, but she tries). She can use a microwave on her own, and knows never to use the stove. She knows that she can take the bus and go to the market with others in her building. She doesn't know how to count out her money, but she tries. Like I stated before, she will not participate in any physical activities. She is not grossly handicapped. She just needs some light supervision.

Most importantly, my Mother-in-law suffered a major stroke last September. My s-i-l's life has been rocked majorly. The greatest support that she had is no longer able to look after her. My M-I-L is in a nursing home fighting daily for her life. My husband and I thought that we could give her a vacation of a lifetime and let her see the Magic that all of us have seen when going to WDW or DCL. I assure all of you, she is not a threat to anyone, physically, emotionally or sexually. She has never had a vacation in her 38 years other that a day at an amusement park or 2 days at a beach.

I didn't realize my question would pose such a problem. Perhaps we should just forget about it.

I'm not trying to start a debate or be insensitive, don't turn the post into more than it was. It was mostly size issue since handicap mentioned was only mental and not physical in any way. Just as you don't have 5 and 6 year olds play sports with 9 and 10 year olds b/c the younger ones are more likely to get hurt. A 38 year old adult actively participating in dodgeball is still stronger than 6 year old even if only mentally a 6 year old. I would just be somewhat surprised if DCL didn't limit the exposure to certain types of activities over other activities where age and size could matter. As long as the DCL employee is actively supervising all participants it should be fine.

I don't need to "turn" your post into anything. It was very clear where you were coming from. You didn't stop at your 'size difference' argument....you continued on to say that you wouldn't trust a 38 yr old male and even mentioned that you "might be sexist".

Interesting you chose my post to quote considering the others you had to choose from.

As someone else who has worked with adults diagnosed with mental retardation, I would not be comfortable leaving my children in the kids club with your SIL either. Many adults, quite possibly including your SIL, would be perfectly fine but others might well have problems, and a previous poster is right that Disney could not possibly do the kind of assessment necessary to figure out who can handle the kids club and who cannot. So I would have to trust your judgment about how your SIL will respond. Maybe you can make that assessment (that is, maybe you have seen your SIL in enough new environments to know how she will respond) and maybe you can't, but I don't know you and I am not going to trust that you are indeed capable of making that assessment. Maybe that sounds harsh, but have you ever been involved in restraining an adult with mental retardation? I have witnessed staff members being hit, bitten, kicked, spit on--and these are people who are trained to deal with these sorts of behavior problems.

As someone else who has worked with adults diagnosed with mental retardation, I would not be comfortable leaving my children in the kids club with your SIL either. Many adults, quite possibly including your SIL, would be perfectly fine but others might well have problems, and a previous poster is right that Disney could not possibly do the kind of assessment necessary to figure out who can handle the kids club and who cannot. So I would have to trust your judgment about how your SIL will respond. Maybe you can make that assessment (that is, maybe you have seen your SIL in enough new environments to know how she will respond) and maybe you can't, but I don't know you and I am not going to trust that you are indeed capable of making that assessment. Maybe that sounds harsh, but have you ever been involved in restraining an adult with mental retardation? I have witnessed staff members being hit, bitten, kicked, spit on--and these are people who are trained to deal with these sorts of behavior problems.

While I come from this with a different perspective (as a mom of a special needs son) I respect your opinion and can see the logic in it. It irritates me when people just "imply" things as opposed to clearly stating their opinion and getting defensive when someone articulates a differing opinion. Thanks for stating another view that can make me look at the "other side".

This is a tough one....I know my sons limitations and what situations he will do well in and which ones he won't. I am very honest about his weaknesses and also his strengths. Sometimes I probably hold him back from some situations based on my fear he will be treated badly by others or judged. Most of us with loved ones who have a mental disability are very aware of what they can handle and how they will respond in certain situations...it is the reality of our daily life, I am not there yet but would imagine this to more true as the years go by. The types of situations you are describing happen in a different environment. Chances are a family wouldn't consider travelling with a loved one who acts out so uncontrollably and physically, and certainly wouldn't consider leaving them in a kids club.

The flip side of this argument becomes we then have to trust the judgements of strangers to determine whether their loved one is suitable for such an environment. As a mother I can see where the concern is... as the mother of a special needs son, my heart hurts with every judgemental comment, insensitive stare and blatant rejection my son experiences.

Egads, I don't know what to say. My mentally challenged, 25 year old DD brought this thread to my attention. She is sweet, kind and gentle, just like most mentally challenged people. At the moment, though, she is very sad about the way people like her are being portrayed in this thread. :sad2:

While I come from this with a different perspective (as a mom of a special needs son) I respect your opinion and can see the logic in it. It irritates me when people just "imply" things as opposed to clearly stating their opinion and getting defensive when someone articulates a differing opinion. Thanks for stating another view that can make me look at the "other side".

This is a tough one....I know my sons limitations and what situations he will do well in and which ones he won't. I am very honest about his weaknesses and also his strengths. Sometimes I probably hold him back from some situations based on my fear he will be treated badly by others or judged. Most of us with loved ones who have a mental disability are very aware of what they can handle and how they will respond in certain situations...it is the reality of our daily life, I am not there yet but would imagine this to more true as the years go by. The types of situations you are describing happen in a different environment. Chances are a family wouldn't consider travelling with a loved one who acts out so uncontrollably and physically, and certainly wouldn't consider leaving them in a kids club.

The flip side of this argument becomes we then have to trust the judgements of strangers to determine whether their loved one is suitable for such an environment. As a mother I can see where the concern is... as the mother of a special needs son, my heart hurts with every judgemental comment, insensitive stare and blatant rejection my son experiences.

My heart hurt reading that. I think I should say that I am just as uncomfortable with parents who put their children in the club that have behavior issues at home. I am sure I would be comfortable with your child and you making the decision - as you seem like a responsible parent. It's sad that so many parents make the wrong decisions about where their children are best served.

Egads, I don't know what to say. My mentally challenged, 25 year old DD brought this thread to my attention. She is sweet, kind and gentle, just like most mentally challenged people. At the moment, though, she is very sad about the way people like her are being portrayed in this thread. :sad2:

Linda I am really sorry your daughter was hurt by this thread. There is still so much misunderstood regarding our children. The negative descriptions of mentally challenged people here are certainly the exception not the rule.....as you said most of our children are extremely kind and loving and surprisingly accepting of all people considering the discrimination they face on a daily basis.

Help. We just booked our 2nd Disney Cruise. This time we are taking along my 38 yo sister-in-law who is mentally challenged. Want to send her to the club with will-be 8yo daughter. Disney guest services says "no problem" they have this all the time and councelors are ok to deal with them. Anyone out there have any info to offer? Thanks

1ST CRUISE EVER----Disney Magic May 5,2007

NEXT SAILING---Nov 22, 2008

My daughter did not enjoy the club because she is very shy. (Mentally about 10-12, small, fragile and in a wheelchair.) So we take crafts and do our thing. I think it is very cool she is bringing a "friend". This should help a great deal!

The staff was great but the kids did not know how to respond to her, only one was cruel:sad1: and he was "talked to" immediately, so take that into consideration too. It would depend on the comfort level for your SIL.

That said....she will have a great time on the cruise. The characters, wait staff and all the other CMs are beyond fantastic. :thumbsup2

Linda

I think everyone is taking this thread much more personal than they should. All of us have personal thoughts and experiences that affect our point of view in this.
I was surprised to read the kids club allowed adults in the kids club but I am sure if we all have a little more patience and tolerance we will all be ok.

I think everyone is taking this thread much more personal than they should. All of us have personal thoughts and experiences that affect our point of view in this.
I was surprised to read the kids club allowed adults in the kids club but I am sure if we all have a little more patience and tolerance we will all be ok.

Amen! And to both sides of the issue! I find that some defending the rights of those discriminated against are just as impatient and intolerant as those that are doing the discriminating.

I think this thread will soon be closed by the DIS Mods, but I think when you post a question, you should be prepared to hear all sides. ;) Do not jump down anyone's back. An opion is an opinion. :rolleyes1 I can not help but to agree with the posters whom claim they would be a little uncomfortable. I am a DM with a DS whom happens to have a disability and I still would be uncomfortable. It has nothing to do with the disability, it has to do with the age. I feel there are rules and you can not start making exceptions to the rules. Just as I do not like classrooms that combine multiple grades, I like the way Disney divides the groups up according to age. I actually was turned off by another vacation club that does the open craft time. I do not like mixing the ages of kids when the gap is great. Just as a poster said about their child being the mature 17 YO and wanted to go to the adult functions, I feel everyone feels they have the exception to the rule. I feel you only can do for one what you are willing to do for all. In that case, if we went by maturity, I think they should sit at the door and make eveyone take a quiz to see if they were mature enough to get into the clubs at night.;)

wow I didnt realize this was even a option. My sister is also challenged so I have been taking her everywhere with me, which means I cant really always do what I want. She wouldnt get into the pool so I cant swim etc. The only way I can take her is if I agree to keep her with me, but if she would be allowed to participate with the younger children that would be great. I was under the impression that only children were allowed to do those activities.

Just as a poster said about their child being the mature 17 YO and wanted to go to the adult functions, I feel everyone feels they have the exception to the rule. I feel you only can do for one what you are willing to do for all. In that case, if we went by maturity, I think they should sit at the door and make eveyone take a quiz to see if they were mature enough to get into the clubs at night.;)

There are in this world older teens that have more maturity than some folks in early adulthood. But they just are not allowed in the adult areas b/c they do not meet the age requirements. Entry is not based on what they can handle.

If Disney can make reasonable accomodations and a relative (ETA: or responsible adult traveling companion) can accompany the special needs adult to the kids areas--then that is one thing.

But I don't think it is right for it to be a drop off program for adults regardless of their mental capacity. I just don't think that is a reasonable request nor what the program was intended for.

I truly mean no offense to anyone. But sometimes life prevents us doing from all the things we want to do b/c we must care for those that we love first.

Just my $.02.

I have a dd who will be almost 19 when we go on our cruise. She has the mentality of a 14 year old. Not to mention a learning disability. She would be much more comfortable in the teen club than with the adults. She is 5'1" and only 87 pounds. She would certainly not be physically larger than most kids in the teen club. As a matter of fact her sister that is 2 years younger than her looks older. I hope they would take that into consideration and let her in the teen club. She is really worried about that. My other concern is that if she has to hang out with adults and finds adults her age, she might be taken advantage of because she is very vulnerable. She will probably be with us most of the time but there are those few times that she would want to be with other kids since she still is a kid in her mind. So I feel there should be special consideration on an idividual basis.

What this all comes down to is that everyone is concerned with the safety and well-being of their own child or children. There have been many threads regarding this issue lately. Someone should not be faulted because they are being responsible and involved parent. I have personally witnessed the club CMs handling a difficult child in the 5-7 year old group...and later overheard the parent complaining because he was not going to be allowed to return to the club for the remainder of the cruise. While the child to CM ratio is rather high, they do try to stay on top of issues in the clubs in all of the age groups.

Another option that the OP's SIL has is to go to Ocean Quest with OP's DD. They have lots of computer stations there with games, as well as tons of board games and crafts at times as well. A time schedule will be posted the first day outside of the area.

For now, however, the issue has run its course and this thread has strayed from it's intent. Since the OP's question has been answered, I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter