Hand sanitizer?

Hettie

DIS Veteran
I see that at the parks there are squirts of hand sanitizer being doled out at every attraction entrance. Has anyone used their own instead or seen someone do so? I am sensitive to certain ingredients and I avoid using these sorts of things when I can't verify the ingredients or am not familiar with the brand. I would gladly use my own in front of the team member.

I think there was someone here on the boards that is sensitive to sanitizer ingredients and had some difficulty with the situation because Universal wants you to use *their* sanitizer, not some that you brought with you. I would get in touch with them directly to get the ingredients to make sure you would feel comfortable using it or to see if there's an alternative. Things are changing in the parks so rapidly that what someone experienced even two weeks ago could no longer be the case.

I believe that you can go to their guest services and get some type of wristband or pass that shows you have an allergy to the hand sanitizer. Then you would be free to use their own. I would HOPE that they would also have the ingredient list for you to review.

The biggest challenges that I see with using your own are: a) every TM may not know about any kind of "use your own policy", so you may be explaining this a lot and b) many times you get sanitizer squirted in your hands as you walk past the TM; stopping to explain what you're doing, getting out your own bottle and doing it yourself will likely hold up the line (if that matters to you).

JW

@Hettie When is your trip? Mine is September 17th and I can report back to you after I get back.

I have psoriasis and severe eczema on my hands. At the parks I always wear a runner's belt to carry my phone and small bottles of hand lotion. I have to put lotion on my hands after every single washing or they become incredibly dry/irritated to the point of the skin cracking and bleeding.

My current plan is to go ahead and use the sanitizer they hand out the first day and put my lotion on afterwards and see how it goes. Going to be bringing extra lotion with me along with my own sanitizer and plan to stop by guest services on the second day to see about using my own if it is a problem. I'm there for four days.

As far as the ingredient list goes I'm not sure asking for that will help to be honest. What I've heard from people on facebook is that they got different kinds of sanitizer at different rides, some was green, some was clear, some had a smell to it and some didn't. My guess would be that Universal is getting theirs from multiple sources, which would make sense given the amounts they would need, so you may be talking about multiple different ingredient lists.

I called guest services and was told that they will NOT allow anyone to use their own sanitizer and that it is up to the individual team leaders at each attraction as to how to handle this situation. I'll stop by guest services while there to see if I get a different answer.

I was going to see if I could get an ingredient list, but if there are multiple brands being used, that will not help. It sounds like it will be a hassle on every attraction, so I'll probably try whatever they're using and see how it goes. On a vlog, I saw a team member squirting someone with an unlabeled bottle, not sure how that isn't an OSHA violation. It's especially concerning due to the recalls of sanitizers containing methanol.

When is your trip? Mine is September 17th and I can report back to you after I get back.
I leave later this week, so I can report back to you. :)

I am glad I was told this as I was totally oblivious to this. Can we still have it on us?

I ask since I had my own hand sanitizer when I went to Cabana Bay this July and we never entered the parks, but always had it on me when it comes to doing all kinds of things around the resort and what not as you tend to touch many things (elevator buttons, doors, gates).

I do not mind using their sanitizer if they squirt it on me before, or after a ride (I'm assuming that's the case brought up here), but can I have it on me period? As I would use it for more than just just before, or after getting on a ride.

I am glad I was told this as I was totally oblivious to this. Can we still have it on us?

I ask since I had my own hand sanitizer when I went to Cabana Bay this July and we never entered the parks, but always had it on me when it comes to doing all kinds of things around the resort and what not as you tend to touch many things (elevator buttons, doors, gates).

I do not mind using their sanitizer if they squirt it on me before, or after a ride (I'm assuming that's the case brought up here), but can I have it on me period? As I would use it for more than just just before, or after getting on a ride.

You mean just to use in general, not as a substitute for their sanitizer, right? If so it's not a problem at all. We all had hip packs for our trip with sanitizer hanging off of them. I had one of the sanitizers with a carabiner that they sell in the gift shops hanging off of mine (which was bigger than the ones the rest of my family had) and I was worried they would ask me to put it in my pack for rides and no one ever did.

I have a question on flying with sanitizer. I have a big bottle (24 oz) to refill the pocketbac bottles tbat i planned to take in my checked bag. Can i do that or is it to big?

I called guest services and was told that they will NOT allow anyone to use their own sanitizer and that it is up to the individual team leaders at each attraction as to how to handle this situation. I'll stop by guest services while there to see if I get a different answer.

Is this a general phone number? I haven't visited before but will be soon and am interested if they have a policy for those of us who wear leather gloves.

Is this a general phone number? I haven't visited before but will be soon and am interested if they have a policy for those of us who wear leather gloves.
You can contact Guest Services at (407) 224-4233.

I’m at the airport for my departure. I tried their sanitizer and it didn’t bother me, so I didn’t take the time to stop at guest services. It did seem like all locations were using the same kind, Purell maybe? It wasn’t fragranced, which is what typically causes problems for me, so I ended up being okay with it.

What are you allergic to? My wrists were breaking out in eczema in March before I started working from home after using the hand sanitizer at work. I didn't have any issues with the stuff at Universal or Disney. I was really concerned though.

What are you allergic to? My wrists were breaking out in eczema in March before I started working from home after using the hand sanitizer at work. I didn't have any issues with the stuff at Universal or Disney. I was really concerned though.
I’m not certain, but I think synthetic fragrance is the culprit for me. The sanitizer at Universal did not have fragrance and I think that’s why it didn’t bother me.

Make sure you seal the bottle up securely and put it in a ziplock bag if you are putting a hand sanitizer bottle in your checked bag. If it leaks it may ruin the contents of your luggage. Don’t just trust the seal on the bottle.

I’m not certain, but I think synthetic fragrance is the culprit for me. The sanitizer at Universal did not have fragrance and I think that’s why it didn’t bother me.
I suspect that’s what bothered me at work. I would try it first. If it causes issues, then maybe you could show guest services/team members your rash :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter