• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! and Other Halloween Time Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
so ive seen pics of loki tooling around before the bash and during, can anyone confirm that he is a roamer character greet?

Are there any reports this year of being able to buy tickets day of as a resort guest? We went to the party on Thursday, but have friends who missed out on getting tickets for Halloween night and are staying at the DLH. Thanks!
Someone in our group was staying at Paradise Pier last night and was able to buy tickets for the same night at check in

Saw a report that a couple of the villains were missing again last night (Frollo and Ratcliffe.) Anyone who was there that can confirm?

Although I don't know why I want/need confirmation...it seems character appearances are completely uncertain. They may or may not be there, they may or may not start at 6:00.

Saw a report that a couple of the villains were missing again last night (Frollo and Ratcliffe.) Anyone who was there that can confirm?

Although I don't know why I want/need confirmation...it seems character appearances are completely uncertain. They may or may not be there, they may or may not start at 6:00.
I was there last night, and I saw Frollo and Ratcliffe, along with Shan Yu. They do rotate around, so who knows how long they were out.

For villain meet and greet the characters rotate out. They are: Shan Yu, Frollo, Ratcliffe, Robin Hood characters, big bad wolf. I’m sure they aren’t guaranteed but they seem to come out at every party so far.

For villain meet and greet the characters rotate out. They are: Shan Yu, Frollo, Ratcliffe, Robin Hood characters, big bad wolf. I’m sure they aren’t guaranteed but they seem to come out at every party so far.

They may have eventually appeared at all the parties but they have definitely not all appeared all the time. At one party, Shan Yu was missing and Queen of Hearts took his place. Another party was missing the Big Bad Wolf for a while. Last night, as I mentioned, Frollo (who I've seen mentioned as missing two or three times now) and Ratcliffe were AWOL for at least one of their sets.

Seems the Marvel meet and greet didn't start until 7:00 last night, as well.

We are actually doing the VIP tour during the day (we have done Orlando a couple times, but never Hollywood, and didn’t want to spend the day in lines...) and we have HHN express passes for that night... expensive day at the park, but worth it to us to save standing around time.

That’s a great plan! I usually do VIP and RIP for the night. While the park is much smaller then Orlando and you probably don’t NEED the VIP for the day (some attractions are basically walk on to start with), it makes an extra long day like that REALLY enjoyable. You’ll get a nice VIP lunch with beautiful views hidden away and you’ll spend about 90 minutes on the backlot tram. Between those and a show or two and no lines 6+ hours flies by without making you worn out. If you’re remaining on site you’ll exit and re-enter (they want you to go through metal detectors for safety) around 5 pm and hit whatever mazes are open early. Safe your express if you want the chance to do something twice. The express only works once for each attraction, but if a line is short, you can wait in that and just not have them scan your pass. Stranger Things will be brutal if last year is any indication, so hit it as soon as it opens and do it again using your express later on or something. It can get kinda cool at night since it’s up on a hill so if you’re not staying near there (Hilton or Sheraton across the street) it might be worth a trip to the car to pull some light jackets or sweaters out of the trunk or show up 20 minutes or so before your tour and rent a locker for the day. Again not sure when you’re going to visit, but late October it’s easily 70 or even mid 60s at night.

Now back on topic. Is the Villains Grove worth it for adults? I’m not interested in getting candy and I’m not even really interested in character meet or greets (they’re cool to see, but not worth waiting in line to get a picture :P). Is villains grove something different?

They may have eventually appeared at all the parties but they have definitely not all appeared all the time. At one party, Shan Yu was missing and Queen of Hearts took his place. Another party was missing the Big Bad Wolf for a while. Last night, as I mentioned, Frollo (who I've seen mentioned as missing two or three times now) and Ratcliffe were AWOL for at least one of their sets.

Seems the Marvel meet and greet didn't start until 7:00 last night, as well.
Maybe it just depends ? When I was there, only Shan Yu and the wolf were taking pictures. Not 3 like normal. When I asked a CM she said in another hour a different set would be out and should be 3 characters.

Not sure if this helps lol. But characters are fun but the downside is that they sometimes don’t show, are late, or go missing for a while.

Now back on topic. Is the Villains Grove worth it for adults? I’m not interested in getting candy and I’m not even really interested in character meet or greets (they’re cool to see, but not worth waiting in line to get a picture :P). Is villains grove something different?
I didn’t care for villains grove. Maybe I went at a bad time, but I thought it would be a place where you wander and do your own thing, like red wood creek challenge. But you walk in a line through it. The lights were pretty but it was boring overall.

Sooo... back home. And so long a wait for the next Halloween season.

I wasn't sure what to expect of Oogie Boogie Bash, honestly. But man, that event blew others out of the water for me as a character fan...

They did approach attendees about a survey at the party. I was very surprised a lot of it was character centered, even going as far as who we'd like to see. Also the survey asked about how I liked the roaming characters, plural. The only one I found was Loki (and was perfectly happy with that), but keep your eyes open for others.
Thank you for the detailed report (and for all the info you've been providing in this thread!). If you haven't already, please send in your report (with even more detail on the merchandise situation and what went wrong in the store -- that scenario was just a total set up for disaster!) to DLR management. They really need to know (repeatedly!) what's going on and what's going wrong (and also what's going great -- those things need to be supported and repeated!). Your knowledgeable and detailed feedback can be really helpful to management on these issues.

I just don't understand the frenzy surrounding DL merch. Don't get me wrong, I love shopping at DL, but if it means that I will have to fear for my safety, then I can pass on it. That is mostly why I decided to shop in the middle of the party. Granted I didn't want the spirit jerseys, but even if I did, I wouldn't be willing to put myself through pushing and shoving, and total madness.
Bingo! Totally agree with you on this. But being small, I sometimes get sucked into the mob against my will and have a hard time getting out on my own. DH gets increasingly worried about me in these situations because the mobs are getting more aggressive and it's getting harder to see me and/or rescue me (when needed). Usually I can find a way to sneak out on my own or find a CM who can help, but one of these days... Why can't they do what D23 did with the Expo tickets? Gold members were allowed to pre-order certain merchandise items (t-shirts, pins, tote bags) at the time they ordered their tickets. Easy.

Last edited:

I enjoyed it. I'm not a character person either and I loved the atmosphere. I broke away from my herd and lingered so I could watch the scenes and take my time. If you shuffle along with the crowd, you will feel rushed and miss out on some lovely details.

I don't think they've mentioned it, but many of the villains were the version from the live-action films. At least Queen of Hearts and Maleficent were.

so ive seen pics of loki tooling around before the bash and during, can anyone confirm that he is a roamer character greet?

He was not there the first party - someone asked a handler specifically about him and was told "not tonight." I've been on the 17th, 19th, 24th and 26th. Seen him on other three dates. He is roaming the area from Disney Junior to Backlot and Tower of Terror. Found him outside Animation Academy and near the Descendants Dance Party. If you hang out in that area he will be out sooner or later.

Thank you for the detailed report (and for all the info you've been providing in this thread!). If you haven't already, please send in your report (with even more detail on the merchandise situation and what went wrong in the store -- that scenario was just a total set up for disaster!) to DLR management. They really need to know (repeatedly!) what's going on and what's going wrong (and also what's going great -- those things need to be supported and repeated!). Your knowledgeable and detailed feedback can be really helpful to management on these issues.

Already done, and mentioned in that survey too. Thought about going to City Hall the next day too, but figured writing would make more of an impact.

Everyone who has seen my photos knows that I am not a twig. If I end up with a tennisball sized swelling on the ankle and almost end up on the ground it's way too dangerous of a situation.

He was not there the first party - someone asked a handler specifically about him and was told "not tonight."
He was there the first night! We saw him while we were picking up drinks at the Hollywood Lounge around 6:30.

Did you dress up differently for the four parties? Sounds like fun!

He was there the first night! We saw him while we were picking up drinks at the Hollywood Lounge around 6:30.

Did you dress up differently for the four parties? Sounds like fun!

I stand corrected. Was going strictly by what the handler at the Marvel Meet said, and didn't spend that much time in the area to catch him myself. At that time I was trying not to get killed in the spirit jersey melee anyway.

I was a Rescue Ranger two nights, the third one I was Alice-ing and the fourth one I didn't dress up.

I saw him on Sunday (9/22) roaming around the end of Hollywood Boulevard, near the entrance to the Mad Hatter immersive Treat Trail. At first I thought he was a really well dressed party guest because it was just kind of walking around with a small group, but then I realized he was a roaming character because he stopped to take a photo with someone.

I saw him on Sunday (9/22) roaming around the end of Hollywood Boulevard, near the entrance to the Mad Hatter immersive Treat Trail. At first I thought he was a really well dressed party guest because it was just kind of walking around with a small group, but then I realized he was a roaming character because he stopped to take a photo with someone.
Haha, this is a great point - how do you tell roaming characters from guests at a Halloween party? I “know” Loki, so it was obvious, but otherwise... funny to consider some roaming princesses or something and everyone just admiring their cosplay. 😂

Disney needs a better plan for the party merchandise!
It goes on sale at 6pm, party nights.
It is a very small section of the stores. Many of the store employees don't know where.

Once they started putting the merchandise out, people started crowding the area, begin held at bay by a few employees. The crowd starts to grow, it gets dicey.

Once 6pm strikes, it's like animals! Everyone just bum rushing the small merchandise round grabbing handfuls of the shirts, caps, etc.
It was bananas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter