Halloween Horror Nights for whimps

nevertoo muchdisney

Earning My Ears
I will be in universal by myself in September for a few days and I have never been to HHN. I love universal and the event looks very cool and impressive. However, I will admit I am a scaredy-cat. I enjoy some freaky properties like stranger things and ghostbusters, but I don’t voluntarily watch lots of horror. I have seen some like one of the Halloween movies, children of the corn, etc. when I was younger when my friends wanted to watch them, but they aren’t my favorite genre to watch. I would say I have a tougher time with demon/ non funny ghost movies as those gives me nightmares ( so no exorcist house for me lol), but other things don’t bother me as much afterward. I am wondering if I should give the event a shot this year and has anyone every gone alone and had a good experience? I was wondering if the scare zones would be a good thing to try out before houses and how intense they are comparison? How long do the scare zones generally take to walk through?

No I wouldn’t bother especially by yourself! It’s too expensive (IMO) if you don’t really enjoy horror. Its hot and think waiting 1-2 hours in most lines, it uses the back stage areas and ALL the walking can be tough in the September heat. There is no need if you don’t love the theme and ip properties.

I would treat myself to a nice dinner with some entertainment.

I would do it. The Stranger Things house alone is worth it for me. The scare zones are always cool, the food is good and there are still a decent amount of rides. I think the Dueling Dragons house will be very cool, Monsters unmasked house and Yeti Camp Ground and The Last of Us look good too. I’m curious about the Zodiac offering. This year’s lineup looks good.

Last edited:
It's very personal.
I do not enjoy horror movies much, I haven't watched many of them, I have no idea of what most of the IPs in the houses are. And yet I love the event. I don't even find it scary, I am just so impressed by the quality of the houses that I just walk through them in awe of what they've built. Sure, there are jump scares, but I never found it too much.
But it's expensive, especially if you add the Express pass, it could be a waste of money. But there's a reason so many people love it.
If you like Stranger things, the previous houses they made for it were exceptional.

The scare zones aren't particularly scary. Scare actors may approach you in some manner, but there are means of avoiding them if you'd prefer not to engage. You're generally considered safe if you're walking on one of the sidewalks and there are other alternate routes you can use if you're looking to avoid a particular area. There's plenty of scare zone footage out there so I'd recommend looking up some from previous years. Some of the set pieces within scare zones can be graphic so just get an idea of whether or not you're comfortable with the level of gore.

Consider doing some of the houses if you're comfortable. Stranger Things and Yeti: Campground Kills, this year's satirical house, should be among the lighter scares. Elements may frighten you, but the conga line constantly flowing through the houses might offer you some comfort because you should never be alone. Stranger Things will likely have a regular wait of around 2 hours or more so that's the only downside. You could always splurge on express, although I wouldn't unless you really intend to do the houses — ride wait times are too low during HHN to really warrant express alone.

HHN is an incredibly well-done event and I recommend it to everyone. Do what you're okay with first and you'll probably find yourself wanting to take in what else they have to offer.

I think it's worth trying at least once, especially if you can afford Express or a VIP Tour on top of the price of admission- a VIP tour would be particularly fun because the tour guide will go into the lore/story of each house/scarezone, which it sounds like you would find interesting! Alternatively, they also offer daytime tours of the houses where the lights are on and there are no scareactors present, and they go a lot more in depth into the theming/storytelling. Could be a good way to dip your toes in in a way that would be zero percent scary

I do not particularly enjoy horror movies, but I do love Halloween! The theming, food and entertainment at US at top notch, better than any other Theme Park Halloween event I have been too and better than most local events.

I do not get scared in the scare zones, I might have a pop up scare once in a while, but I just find the atmosphere and props to be amazing.

The people watching is fantastic!

The Houses are done in a conga line, so there is no stopping and starting. You might get a scare, or see the scares ahead of you. One thing that i love, is that I am claustrophobic and I can go through all the houses. The houses are pretty good for claustrophobic people, I can see the ceilings and there is plenty of staff.

It is expensive, but worth it at least once.

I go myself most years and I find the best way to do it as an individual is to do an RIP tour if you want to do all the houses. The lines do get very long and move slowly and to me get a little uncomfortable since it is a big crowd and I still often wear a face mask. I am there the weekend of September 9 and am on a public tour that Saturday but it was expensive so I may cancel.

I am trying the six house tour this year since the houses I was most interested in are Chucky and the Universal Monsters and I am interested to see how I may like that. I am hopeful that the behind the screams lets me get a better sense of the houses since I don't pick up on a lot of detail in the actual maze (plus it is early on Sunday so I can move on to watching football that afternoon). I do think the scare zones are good for walking through to get a sense of the event and stand on the sidelines just watching sometimes (the Purge and Zombieland were really good for that in prior years).

Lots and lots of people around so being alone for that event wouldon’t be as scary as you think. If you do decide to go, get an express pass.

I am going for 8 nights in September solo for HNN. There’s 5 scare zones - a little one by the park entrance, 2 bigger ones in Hollywood and NY sections, 1 in Central Park area basically the walkway past the crepe stand to area by Animal actors arena. The last one is in SF over by Lombards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter