Halloween Costumes - Julie, I feel your pain

Prose

DIS Veteran
Julie, I had to laugh when I hear you talk about Halloween costumes being wrong for Florida. It does get better -- once you are out of the "jammies" costume age, they are no longer full-length fleece. The problem we have up here in the North is that it is COLD on Halloween...I have even seen it snow. That creates the annual Midwestern dilemma: long underwear and turtleneck UNDER the princess dress, or winter coat over it? Most costumes we can get up here for older kids are lightweight nylon, often with short sleeves. Not so good in 45 degree weather.

Of course, us parents tend to dress up as lumberjacks or eskimos or frozen people who need a hot toddy....

Julie, I had to laugh when I hear you talk about Halloween costumes being wrong for Florida. It does get better -- once you are out of the "jammies" costume age, they are no longer full-length fleece. The problem we have up here in the North is that it is COLD on Halloween...I have even seen it snow. That creates the annual Midwestern dilemma: long underwear and turtleneck UNDER the princess dress, or winter coat over it? Most costumes we can get up here for older kids are lightweight nylon, often with short sleeves. Not so good in 45 degree weather.

Of course, us parents tend to dress up as lumberjacks or eskimos or frozen people who need a hot toddy....

So true! Where I live the houses are spread out and not everyone gives candy, so you have to drive from house to house. I'm so glad my kids are at an age where I can sit in the car with the heat on and just do the driving

Most costumes are too warm for nc too. I think ferris and Finley would be an adorable peter pan and tinker bell and those costumes would be lighter weight.

I haven't figured out what to do with our toddler this Halloween yet. Last year we got him an adorable Mickey vampire onesie on main street. They had cute Minnie witch ones too and tshirts for bigger kids I think too.

Up here it's been known to snow on Halloween so we always have to go up a size or two to get enough room to fit a snow suit under the costume.

We live in PA so we have cold Halloweens, too. I always hope for a warm spell at the end of October. About 8 years ago my daughter dressed as Belle in her yellow dress. It was 65 degrees that night. I was so happy she didn't have to put a coat over that dress.

You can get creative and make them Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head :)

I did that when my little ones were 1 and 2.

Someone on another board just posted a complaint about the Disney store carrying onesie costumes this year. I'm getting the buzz and woody ones for my ds and will pair them with some lightweight pants!

http://www.disneystore.com/baby/halloween/costumes/mn/1000885+1000772

Julie can do woody and Jesse!
It's hard up here too. Victorias first halloween she was 11 months 2 weeks, so I actually put her in a sweater, some fleece "bear" pants and made her an owl costume. She was hedwig I was Ginny (harry potter)

Her second year, she was Tink, we put her tink PJS underneath lol.

I havent even STARTED to think about this year... hmmmmm.... I wonder if that owl costume still fits ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter