Halloween and 11/1 - bad timing if NOT doing HHN?

disneyinthespringtime

Mouseketeer
Trying to find a good time to go to Universal in the coming year. We had cancelled a visit in spring 2020 so are eager to come. In the spring it will be tough to do except for spring break which I am figuring will be particularly insane in 2022 post Covid.

The kids have a 2 day break from school though on 11/1 to 11/2 right after Halloween. No intention of doing HHN and we would stay on property at Royal Pacific - but I am not eager to go if crowds are awful. Any idea? We would likely do Sun 10/31 normal hours and Monday 11/1.

Last edited:
This year may be worse because of 2020 HHN cancelation, however, we went in 2019 for my daughters Halloween birthday and the crowds were heavier on the weekend but no issue during the week. But again, I think this year is going to be popping! Maybe see how the ticket sales are for HHN after they release them to help decide.

HHN is only going to be at the studios side. They close the park early for HHN. So you can do studios in the morning and then move to IOA to avoid HHN crowds.

I agree with PP that its hard to predict this year. IMO, HHN will be busier than ever since it was canceled in 2020 and it will be the 30th anniversary. I'd also expect that people visiting for WDW's 50th anniversary may wander over for a Universal visit or even just an HHN visit. We do this under normal circumstances, but Disney will be busier than normal too. Halloween night is always the busiest of HHN season as well. Have you priced out RPR yet? If its not booked up yet, you may find the rates to be high since that night will likely sell out.

If you do decide to go, I would suggest rope dropping both days and planning to leave by late afternoon. Universal will close to the public around 5pm, but the afternoon will start to get busier with people arriving who are attending HHN and opting to wait in the holding areas once the park closes. A lot of people will do this because those in the holding areas get a jump start once HHN begins. IOA will be open later to compensate for Universal closing early, but that only makes IOA busier. Definitely do rope drop on 11/1 - anyone still there from HHN will likely be sleeping in, since HHN goes until 2am.

Some years back, UO sold the ticket for early entry
Believe it was valid for 3:00
I might be off that time for the ticket but it’s in that afternoon range

this made the parks a tad crowded for specific rides but it allowed them to stay in the park at closing time at 5:00

peeps stayed in holding areas until the early release to do houses
All areas that are in the designated holding areas went straight to the few houses that opened early at 6ish

Some years back, UO sold the ticket for early entry
Believe it was valid for 3:00
I might be off that time for the ticket but it’s in that afternoon range

this made the parks a tad crowded for specific rides but it allowed them to stay in the park at closing time at 5:00

peeps stayed in holding areas until the early release to do houses
All areas that are in the designated holding areas went straight to the few houses that opened early at 6ish
I didn't even realize they used to sell an early entry type of ticket! We always have regular day tickets for the park and will just wait in the holding areas when the park closes. We've done the same when we had APs too. I've always noticed it pick up late afternoon, so it makes sense if people were buying the early entry ticket.

I didn't even realize they used to sell an early entry type of ticket! We always have regular day tickets for the park and will just wait in the holding areas when the park closes. We've done the same when we had APs too. I've always noticed it pick up late afternoon, so it makes sense if people were buying the early entry ticket.
For peeps that did not want to buy a park day ticket and hhn some years back UO sold a park ticket that allowed peeps into the park (might have been at 3 or 4) and then at 5 everyone stayed in specific labeled areas to wait for release and do hhn houses

Weekends were crowded so I always made sure I was in the park by 2 before it shut down for park closure and final prep for hhn that date

I always have had the ap so never an issue for me getting in the park
Would do an early light dinner with friends at 4 and then the wait stay in one of the holding zones before the release to hit the houses

Set ups have changed over the years
This year will be my 17th hhn in a row

I swear each year the crowds grow ...

Thank you! I did book something at RPR already.
I was intended to rope drop both days and thinking of doing mainly just the Harry Potter stuff in USF on the 31st then Harry Potter in IOA plus water rides then leave.

For the 1st I was thinking to rope drop IOA to do Harry Potter less crowded then do the marvel stuff mostly we would have missed the prior day and the rest of the time see what we want to duplicate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter