Halloween 2010 at the Fort with the TCD Gang!

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
The TCD gang enjoyed another Halloween at Fort Wilderness.

This was our third in a row.

And, the best yet!

We arrived on Friday, October 29th.

And, left on Monday, November 1st.

If you have read previous TCD trip reports, you know that TCD prefers partial hook up sites. The premium sites are just too expensive.

But, for Halloween we like to be where the action is.

So, we reserved a premium site.

And, we used the tried and true method of requesting a loop by faxing a request five days before our arrival.

Based on how things were in previous years, we knew the weekend would be busy.

So, I actually included a first, second, and third choice of loops for the site assigner. We figured that way we would get a site we could live with. So, we requested the 800 loop as our first choice, 900 as our second, and 400 as our third.

We headed to the Fort right after the TCD twins got out of school on Friday, and arrived at around 4:30 pm.

We were assigned to site 730.

That's on the 700 loop.

We have never stayed on the 700 loop.

Ever.

I never thought I wanted to.

We camp in a pop-up camper.

We use the comfort stations a lot.

The 700 loop doesn't have a comfort station.

And, the 700 loop is crazy on Halloween.

Everyone knows that.

But, we decided to take what we got.

And, we liked it!

The girls made themselves scarce as I set up camp.

My oldest daughter arrived from Tallahassee at around 7, just as I was completing my set up.

She brought treats with her.

She made these:

100_9902.jpg

100_9903.jpg

All by herself.

This girl is turning into her mother.

Who has a WWMD t-shirt.

That's What Would Martha Do?

As in Martha Stewart.

So, what are these things, you might be asking.

These, my friends, are moon pies, with oreos, M & M's and candy corn.

Let me tell you something . . .

Try eating more than two of those suckers in a sitting, and see how you feel.

That is some good stuff right there.

And, this was not the only Martha moment of the weekend.

Just wait.

You'll see.

After a bit, the TCD twins returned from their adventure, and it was time to eat.

Most of you know what was on the menu for the first night.

Yes, it was a Giddyap and Go. All white meat.

The old steak fries are still MIA.

I'm afraid permanently.

We may have to become mashed potato people.

Other than the fries, our meal was great.

When I was bringing the chicken back to the site, I ran into none other than TNBob from here on the Disboards. He asked me to save him some chicken skin, so he could go fishing. I did hook him up. I never heard how he did with it.

Friday night involved to usual looping and hanging at the campground. We noticed something new. There were security folks posted all around the campground checking for under-aged cart drivers, and other cart violations. There was a castmember at the four way stop, the pool entrance, and the entrance to the Settlement. I have never seen such a thing.

But it was good- it really reduced the crazy cart driving.

I was up before the sun on Saturday morning.

I had some exploring to do.

Here we are down by the Fort Wilderness pavilion at dawn:

100_9904.jpg

And, here are some shots from around Clementine's Beach and the dock used by the fishing guides:

100_9915.jpg

100_9917.jpg

100_9922.jpg

No body was around.

So, I decided to check on something that I have been meaning to.

On my last visit to the Fort, I noticed that there had been some excavating on the other side of the canal adjacent to the 300 loop. I wanted to see if there was a way to figure out what this was all about. So I headed there.

Here is a look toward Bay Lake from the far side of the canal:

100_9924.jpg

Here we are looking the other way up the canal. Notice the mist rising off of the water- it was a nice, cool morning:

100_9925.jpg

You can see that there was a trench dug along here, which has now been filled:

100_9926.jpg

I noticed a few new utility boxes in the ground. They are marked "communication.":

100_9929.jpg

I don't know what this is all about.

Why would they put utility boxes over there?

This land was not conveyed to the developer of the Golden Oaks project, which is a bit east and south of here.

As far as I know, this area is designated as wetlands.

But, they installed something to do with communications here.

I can't tell you why.

This is still an unsolved mystery.

Heading back, I got this shot of a couple of tents set up behind one of the sites on 300. I wouldn't mind tent camping there:

100_9931.jpg

I headed back to the Settlement via the 100 loop.

Feisty has her site nicely decorated, as usual:

Notice the ghost flying over the sidewalk between the sites:

100_9932.jpg

100_9933.jpg

100_9934.jpg

100_9935.jpg

Make sure you notice the design made by the rope lights on the ground in the last shot above.

There was still no one around. So, I headed back toward River Country, snapping these photos as I traveled along:

100_9936.jpg

100_9937.jpg

100_9938.jpg

100_9939.jpg

100_9940.jpg

100_9942.jpg

100_9943.jpg

100_9945.jpg

100_9946.jpg

100_9947.jpg

I focused a bit on the area above, as there are strong rumors floating around that this area of the Fort is about to be developed with a Disney Vacation Club resort.

We have reached the photo limit on this post.

So, this one will stop here.

But, be sure to check back. . .

Some highlights of what is coming:

-A few River Country photos.

-Hanging out where the millionaires camp.

-A trip to the Poly.

-Photos of campsite decorations.

-An encounter with the Headless Horseman.

-The return of Rocky.

-A triumph by the TCD gang in a campground-wide competition.

-Trick-or-Treat photos.

And lots more!

TCD

Here we go!

Can't wait for this one to play out.

With all the reporting going on we need a dedicated TR sub forum.

BTW as I type this I am watching a show on the History Channel called "Hippies, the evolution of the counterculture"

Continue please.

Great to see a trip report of the Halloween weekend. Always exciting to read your accounting of the activities. Keep it coming!

As the sun rises, and it becomes lighter, we will take a look around the Clementine's Beach area, and the area just to the west of the Pioneer Hall loading dock. There are rumors of new construction going in here, and I want to make sure to get plenty of photos of how it looks before anything changes.

If this kind of stuff doesn't interest you, then skip this post.

We will get to more campground stuff in just a moment.

But, first, it's Saturday morning, and here we are looking around Bay Lake from the fishing guide's dock:

100_9948.jpg

100_9958.jpg

There is a little sidewalk that leads from the area of the River Country ticket window down to the fishing guide's dock. Here are some shots from along that sidewalk:

100_9959.jpg

100_9960.jpg

100_9961.jpg

These are some shots of the area where the new project is rumored to be going. This used to be part of River Country:

100_9966.jpg

100_9968.jpg

There used to be an elevated wooden walkway here which allowed guests to walk out into this swamp and see these beautiful towering cypress trees. The preliminary plans for the new resort seem to show that the resort buildings will curve around these trees. That would be a good thing:

100_9977-1.jpg

100_9978.jpg

100_9979-1.jpg

100_9980.jpg

100_9981.jpg

The old boardwalk was just removed from this area earlier this year. Here, you can see that some of the trees had actually started to grow around the boards:

100_9982.jpg

The mysterious blue tanks remain in place here.

Why, nobody knows.

100_9988.jpg

100_9989.jpg

I have always enjoyed the view from here:

100_9992-1.jpg

Here's Discovery Island, just across the water:

100_9993-1.jpg

This is just an old fence along the lakefront:

100_9995.jpg

Now we will take a look at the area around Pioneer Hall.

Currently, Pioneer Hall houses the Trail's End restaurant, as well as Crockett's Tavern, and the dinner theater area for the Hoop Dee Doo Review. The west side of the buildings has parking and a big loading area where big trucks come and make deliveries:

100_9997.jpg

101_0001.jpg

101_0003.jpg

The preliminary plans for the new resort show guest rooms being constructed facing this area and very close to it. That would suggest that the plans are not anywhere near final, or that the loading dock area is going to moved away from this area. Looking away from the loading dock area, we can see the Fort Wilderness Pavilion, the old River Country entrance, and Clementine's Beach:

101_0006.jpg

101_0008.jpg

101_0009.jpg

This is the view leaving this area, and heading back toward the front of Pioneer Hall:

101_0011.jpg

Next up . . .

We will take a look at a very strange insect . . .

And, we will start to look at some of the Halloween fun at Fort Wilderness!

TCD

Here we go!

Can't wait for this one to play out.

With all the reporting going on we need a dedicated TR sub forum.

BTW as I type this I am watching a show on the History Channel called "Hippies, the evolution of the counterculture"

Continue please.

Wow!

How did I forget to mention this highlight?

But, there was a whole cart full of hippies in the golf cart parade.

A whole cart!

Full!

That was the scariest golf cart in the whole parade!

And, I have a good photo of the filthy hippies.

Which I will post in due time.

Tom- Be careful watching that hippie propaganda.

Them hippies are sneaky!

Great to see a trip report of the Halloween weekend. Always exciting to read your accounting of the activities. Keep it coming!

Lynn- We missed you this year.

Maybe you shouldn't keep reading.

It might make you sad.

But, it also might motivate you for next year!:woohoo:

TCD

I have been waiting for this report since I left and drove the 14 hours home. It was very nice to meet you TCD, both times. Waiting for more.popcorn::popcorn::

Some highlights of what is coming:

-A few River Country photos.

-Hanging out where the millionaires camp.

-A trip to the Poly.

-Photos of campsite decorations.

-An encounter with the Headless Horseman.

-The return of Rocky.

-A triumph by the TCD gang in a campground-wide competition.

-Trick-or-Treat photos.

And lots more!

TCD

I don't see any mention of attending the grand gathering... Don't tell me that you didn't go!

popcorn::

First of all, I love Moon Pies! Living in the Mobile area, I guess it's pretty safe to say that I've had a many of them throughout the years during Mardi Gras.

Secondly, I can't wait to hear all about Rocky! We lost our Rocky's dad last week due to reasons that we are still unsure of. Long story, but we are still very shaken up over it. Be sure to include photos of your beautiful puppy!

:yay::yay::yay:Great another TCD trip report makes you feel like you are right in the middle of things. Almost as good as being there.

Your pictures really drive home a point for me... there is no way that an old west theme is going to look right with cypress trees dripping Spanish moss as their centerpiece. I'm really starting to lean toward southern plantation, since New Orleans is already taken.

ShantaClausSm.png

:cool1:I am loving all these trip reports-especially one by the "master reporter"!

Continue please.

How funny, we were watching this, this afternoon, too, and I immediately thought of TCD!

Now, back to the photos......popcorn::

I can't wait for more.....We arrived friday and were supposed to leave monday the 1ST but are still here and will stay til atleast Friday ( I am not complaining :rotfl:)although I feel like I have been on a rollor coaster for a week with this shuttle lunch:scared1:. I am sorry I missed meeting you and everyone else but I am excited to see all of your pictures and am patiently waiting for morepopcorn::

Yay! Really enjoying so far.

You can't go wrong with Halloween Moon Pies,

A cart full of hippies

And tons of random shots at the Fort !

I know this comes as a great shock....

but I LOVE random shots of the Fort.

Well....and Moon Pies too. Especially microwaved for 20 secs. ;-)

Great TR TCD, can't wait for more! :cool1:

Your pictures really drive home a point for me... there is no way that an old west theme is going to look right with cypress trees dripping Spanish moss as their centerpiece. I'm really starting to lean toward southern plantation, since New Orleans is already taken.

ShantaClausSm.png

I agree Shan-man but If you think about it they already have a resort with southern plantations. Port Orleans Riverside starts with Plantations then as you move up the river it becomes more of commoner type houses with a woods/bayou feel. Who knows what they're thinking? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter