• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hale Koa split stay?

PoohBearFamily

Mouseketeer
My family is planning to return to Aulani this winter, after our first amazing visit a year and a half ago. We loved it so much we didn't want to do any excursion days! Lol.

So, my question is, has anyone stayed at the Hale Koa? We are eligible to stay there, and it's half the price of Aulani, so we thought we'd stay there for a week to do our exploring of the island, before our week of resort fun at Aulani.

Any recent reviews of the hotel Hale Koa itself? I'm seeing mixed reviews online and it's making me nervous.

Thanks!

@PoohBearFamily I had two friends that stayed next door at the Hawaiian Hilton last year (Couldn't get into Hale Koa and with their ranks really wouldn't save any $). They enjoyed the location even with it at the end of the Waikiki strip and said they enjoyed the Hale Koa meals next door...

@PoohBearFamily I had two friends that stayed next door at the Hawaiian Hilton last year (Couldn't get into Hale Koa and with their ranks really wouldn't save any $). They enjoyed the location even with it at the end of the Waikiki strip and said they enjoyed the Hale Koa meals next door...
Thanks! Good to know about the Hawaiian Hilton.

The Hale Koa is great, and a really solid deal for those of us who can stay there. My only concern is you saying you'd be staying there for a week--I think a week on Waikiki is a bit long. I know you said you'll be exploring the island from there, so maybe it will be okay, but traffic getting in and out of Honolulu can be a bear. I guess as long as you know what you're getting into, then I have no hesitation recommending the Hale Koa.

FWIW, you're very smart to stay there first then have your week at Aulani.

My husband and I are doing a similar stay in Sept. we have 4 nights booked at Hale Koa then 2 nights at Aulani. Even with Aulani only being 2 nights, it is $500 more than the 4 nights at Hale Koa.

What's the deal with Hale Koa? Is it affiliated with Aulani?

We haven't been to the Hale Koa in a few years but are spending a week there in September. When I booked they noted they are remodeling so there's a chance of a remodeled room. Their completion date is "Fall 2023"

We plan to rent a car at least part of the week so that we can do some exploring (DH was stationed at Pearl so knows the Island pretty well)

I do not have any recent reports but I have family who have stayed at Hale Koa and loved it. They both highly recommended staying there. We are also planning a split stay next summer and doing our touring while at Hale Koa and enjoying all of the resort while at Aulani.

We haven't been to the Hale Koa in a few years but are spending a week there in September. When I booked they noted they are remodeling so there's a chance of a remodeled room. Their completion date is "Fall 2023"

We plan to rent a car at least part of the week so that we can do some exploring (DH was stationed at Pearl so knows the Island pretty well)
Oh that's exciting to hear. Maybe since we're traveling Winter 2024 we'll have a renovated room!

I do not have any recent reports but I have family who have stayed at Hale Koa and loved it. They both highly recommended staying there. We are also planning a split stay next summer and doing our touring while at Hale Koa and enjoying all of the resort while at Aulani.
Yay! That's awesome you had the same idea. I hope you guys have a great time when you do go.

I highly recommend staying at the Hale Koa if you're eligible. They recently built a new pool complex right on the beach with great views, a slide, an adults only infinity pool, hot tub, and a kids splash pad. Only complaint here is that it closes very early (like 6pm on weekdays, 8pm on weekends).

Also has a bar with live music right off the beach, decent prices on drinks. Location is great at the widest part of Waikiki Beach. Good snorkeling, bound to see a sea turtle or two. You can also explore the Hilton next door which has its offerings.

Another big distinction between Hale Koa and the other resorts is that the price you pay is the price you pay. Hilton (and others) charge a $50 resort fee per night. Parking is $62 at Hilton per day, while it is $15 at the Hale (as of our last stay in September 2022). No tax whereas the other resorts tax the crap out of you.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer them.

I also recommend Hale Koa, it is a beautiful affordable complex. I guess the only downside is that it is little bit of walk to the main drag in Waikiki, but that isn't even bad. The beach there is probably the best in Waikiki as it doesn't seem as crowded.

Also, I don't think Hale Koa has an actual ITT/MWR place. We have always went over to Pearl/Hickam and bought our attraction tickets there. So you might want to check out the price listings before you go.

Some mention the traffic when using Hale Koa for a base. We have never found it to be an issue. When we're there for a week, each day we are heading off to explore different parts of the island (in our own rental not a tour) and it's nice to come back to Hale Koa then walk to someplace in Waikiki for dinner.

Sounds like an amazing trip!

We are Waikiki people. Also dvc so we used points for Aulani. Never stayed at Hale Koa but great location, been to the beach bar and it’s great. Luau is a fraction of the price of other luaus. In general Waikiki is better for Sunset Sails, surf lessons, outrigger canoe rides and dining choices. Splitting time at each location is a great idea, we have done it many times

I highly recommend staying at the Hale Koa if you're eligible. They recently built a new pool complex right on the beach with great views, a slide, an adults only infinity pool, hot tub, and a kids splash pad. Only complaint here is that it closes very early (like 6pm on weekdays, 8pm on weekends).

Also has a bar with live music right off the beach, decent prices on drinks. Location is great at the widest part of Waikiki Beach. Good snorkeling, bound to see a sea turtle or two. You can also explore the Hilton next door which has its offerings.

Another big distinction between Hale Koa and the other resorts is that the price you pay is the price you pay. Hilton (and others) charge a $50 resort fee per night. Parking is $62 at Hilton per day, while it is $15 at the Hale (as of our last stay in September 2022). No tax whereas the other resorts tax the crap out of you.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer them.
That's good to know about the lack of resort fees at Hale Koa! And that's awesome about the turtles and snorkeling. I'm super excited to try it out as a split stay!

Did you find the attention to cleanliness at Hale Koa is similar to Aulani? I'm sorta a clean freak.

We are Waikiki people. Also dvc so we used points for Aulani. Never stayed at Hale Koa but great location, been to the beach bar and it’s great. Luau is a fraction of the price of other luaus. In general Waikiki is better for Sunset Sails, surf lessons, outrigger canoe rides and dining choices. Splitting time at each location is a great idea, we have done it many times
Oh that's good to know about Waikiki being nice for sunset sails and canoe rides! I'm so excited about our split stay now. :)

We typically do a split stay between Hale Koa and Aulani. We love both and prefer to do our excursions days when staying at Hale Koa. We love the accessibility of the Trolley tours, exploring China town and everything Waikiki has to offer. The Spa and Exercise facilities at Hale Koa are great. The rates for the spa services are typically half the price of Aulani. Having access to the small shoppette/PX is wonderful for snacks and drinks. The Barefoot bar has one of the best MaiTais in all of Hawaii, second only to MonkeyPod!
I travel for business frequently, around 150 nights per year. Hale Koa is clean, although a bit dated in some of the rooms that haven't been redone. If you are a Marriott person, I would say that it's a classic Marriott or Courtyard level, where Aulani would be J.W. Marriott or higher.
Just can't beat the price though!

Then we transfer to Aulani and have our relaxation/downtime. Keep on the lookout for military rates at Aulani as well to shave $ off, if you don't have DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter