Hair braiding?

UMTerp

DIS Veteran
Is the hair braiding still available at CC?

Is it still better (longer lasting) than on the ship?

What are the prices like these days?

TIA!

UMTerp

My DD actually had her hair braided at the beach in St. Martin. We were completely swindled because the woman said the braids would be $2 each and that she would do between 15 to 20 braids on my DD. I left to grab something for lunch, leaving DD with her grandparents and the woman braiding her hair. When I returned she told me that she had done 31 braids the price was $62. I was SO MAD. You should have seen how teeny tiny these braids were. My DD is only 5 years old and she is small for her age, so this woman had to really stretch to make that many braids. Anyway, long story short... DON'T get your hair braided on any of the islands unless you can get them to agree to a price beforehand. I tried to do that and the woman said she'd rather not give me a price up front because she might give me a price that's higher than what she was actually going to do (yeah RIGHT).

I did see a lot of little girls with braids that they had gotten done on the ship. One mother told me that the price was the same as on the island - $2 per braid. I'm not sure about CC though..

MY DD's braids lasted a week in her hair, through washing and swimming, etc. I know that the woman who did hers used aloe or something to make the hair very slick so I think that helped keep it in. I'm not sure if the CM's do something similar on the ship or at CC.

This is what we got done on the boat - $1.50 per braid, I think, and DD got two braids. She took good care of them, and they lasted two months! I don't know if they do it on CC also. She loved them!

ETA: My DH watched the lady braid it, and he said she used petroleum jelly.

Some guide books recommend not getting it done by locals in the ports because they do not clean combs etc between heads and there is a real risk of getting lice.

DD got six braids on the ship for $9. The people who braid on the ship are the same people who braid at Castaway Cay. So it is the same either way.

Some guide books recommend not getting it done by locals in the ports because they do not clean combs etc between heads and there is a real risk of getting lice.

That is SO GROSS!!! I didn't even think about that.

P1030799.jpg

P1030798.jpg

P1030794.jpg

it is right on pool deck near cabanas

We had our 2 year old DD's hair braided on the Dream by the pool on the first night. Can't recall the name of the CM, she was not the lady pictured but was from Jamaica. We told her that we wanted the headband style braids and she put in 5 very nicely and quickly.

I told her that DD had a tender head and was a little grouchy. She still did a great job, charged me only $2/ braid. She told me that she had a 3 year old daughter in Jamaica that she would be seeing in two months. Great experience, braids were super-cute, and they lasted a month. We'd do it again in a flash.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Here is a lnk to when I had my two daughters hair braided in Nassau...back in 2007. Not sure how much it cost now, but back then it was 2$ a braid on the Wonder. When we got off the ship in Nassau there were alot of ladies offering. I'm a cheapskate, but my girls wanted it done so we did. Youngest had 43 braids with no beads....oldest had 41 braids with beads. It took about an hour and I paid 50$ per daughter. So it averaged out to be about $1.20 a braid. I just set the price before she started. One of the ladies was nice, but one wasn't happy about the price. In my mind she just made 50$ for less than an hour. That's more than I make...mind you I know she probably needed it more than me.
After they were done I still felt it was expensive, but my wife said it would have cost about 7$ a braid here in Japan, so what do I know. ---not much according to my wife.:sad2:

My daughter and I both got our hair braided the first night on the ship. The ladies were lovely. We each paid $12 for the headband look. We will definitely do it again.

IMG_3438.jpg
[/IMG]

LOVE this style Princess Sleepy! This is what we'll do next time. I'm thinking the name of the gal who did DD's braids was Christiana on the Dream in late November. She told me her daughter in Jamaica has the same name.

One more question...

Can I charge hair braiding on CC to my room card?

Thanks!

UMTerp

Does anyone know if they charge extra for really long hair (like 3/4 down back long),,I want to have her braided because it tangles really easy.

Are they open when boarding starts? We have an early arrival time and thought we might get it done early.

Our experience on CC was with local Islanders braiding and wrapping. They manage to do more of the wrapping than you want because they charge $2 an inch- which they don't tell you ahead of time. We were trying to figure out how it could be done to be put up in bun for dance.
Long hair to braids are $2.50 each- but with the wrap it came to $20:scared1: which we had not budgeted for & had to charge on KTW card. They missed out on a tip, since they pushed the cord up higher than requested and didn't communicate better on the pricing - almost insisting that it should be higher. They took us in so fast at the end of the day that we hadn't had time to read the sign. It also took 1/2 an hour.
We noticed that they cater to the children, saying, oh you can "have" that or get it just like your sister's- despite a parent saying no, we don't want to spend that much.
The ladies were very nice & pleasant, but do have a sneaky sales approach so be prepared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter