Hair Braiding on Ship - Advice & Photos?

Any special instructions for washing hair with braids or cornrows? I wash mine twice a day when it's hot or if I go swimming. Does it last through this if I'm careful?

DD has kept her braids in for up to 6 weeks with no problems at all. She washed her hair as normal.
Just remember to use sunscreen for a few days on the freshly exposed scalp.

Any special instructions for washing hair with braids or cornrows? I wash mine twice a day when it's hot or if I go swimming. Does it last through this if I'm careful?

I washed my hair, just more carefully than before. Don't use conditioner on the braids, as it will make them loosen. Still, after taking them out, my hair was quite yucky where the braids had been.

I had cornrows done on the Wonder last year. I have a very sensitive scalp and hate going to the hair dresser as they always hurt me. I had no problem at all with the cornrows. Just one tip, when you take them out, have plenty of heavy duty conditioner at hand. Mine came out with no problem at all, but I had tons of tiny waves in my hair which made it completely unmanageable even after washing and conditioning as normal. In the end I let heavy duty conditioner soak in for about 15 minutes and brushed it with the conditioner in before washing the hair again and that solved the problem.

Corinna

Hey guys....I have a question. My daughter is in the process of growing out her bangs. We haven't gotten very far, they are just past her eyebrows right now. She hates wearing headbands and I thought that doing the half-way back thing on the front with cornrows would be a great way to keep her hair under control on our cruise.

But in a lot of the pix posted I noticed many girls with their bangs out of the cornrows. I don't know if this is by choice or not. Does anybody know if they are able to include the bangs and just braid up until where they end? It would seem like it's possible, but since I've never had it done I wouldn't know.

I was also concerned about how much damage the braids do to the hair. That other thread was kind of scary - it seems like people had reported all sorts of problems from the braiding. I don't want to mess my daughter's hair up, especially now that she's finally growing these bangs out. :cloud9:

Anyway, if anybody can comment on whether they think the braids do permanent damage to the quality of the hair that was braided i'd appreciate it ! :goodvibes

Here is DD#1
IMG_0274.JPG

And DD#2
IMG_0469.JPG

DD#1 was done on the ship, DD#2 was done on Castaway Cay.

So, the only issues...

DD#2 (immediately above) was 5, and had very fine hair. One (or possibly two) of the braids kept loosening up. We would "tighten" them about every other day. After a week at home, we thought that the braids that were "loose" just were not looking right. So we took them all out...and DD#2 had a bald spot about the size of a quarter (possibly a little bigger)! Oh, DW was not happy. I think it was really an issue of the fine hair and the fact that we continued to tighten the braid that was loosening up (because it was pulling out hair). DD#1 had them in for about 2 weeks after being home and could have had them in longer, but was tired of them.

Sun screen on the exposed scalp is a must! Otherwise, care as usual (wash with shampoo, conditioner).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13059&id=1464202230&saved#/photo.php?pid=201704&id=1464202230
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13059&id=1464202230&saved#/photo.php?pid=201703&id=1464202230

Here is a picture of my daughter Gina from our recent cruise in June on the Wonder. She has rather long hair and had this done in Nassau and it took 1 1/2 hours, over 50 braids with the front cornrowed with a diagonal part. It cost $80 and was not painful and is very easy to take care of. Washing normally and was fine even after 4 weeks now. Gina has had her hair done several times befor in Bahamas and Punta Cana and preferrs it because it is so easy, she does have long hair and she had her bangs incorporated in the braids. Below is a pic of mine, she wanted me to do it this time so I got a headband, which is 39 cornrowed braids, still in and cost $40. I have gotten many complements because the girls did a really nice job. But I would have preferred to do it on the ship, so be sure to ask on boarding when and make an appointment. We found out afterwards... Hope this helps!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13059&id=1464202230&saved#/photo.php?pid=201705&id=1464202230

Okay, for those of you who left the braids in for a few weeks...how to you wash your hair? Do you just get the braids wet, or do you actually shampoo those as well? I would think they would start to come out or frizz terribly if you washed them, right?

DD1
Disneyworld2007245.jpg

DD2
Disneyworld2007237.jpg

They got the beads to match their formal dresses.

Having the braids gave us extra vacation time, because I was not constantly fixing hair in the morning and after swimming! :thumbsup2

Disneyworld2007421-1.jpg

What a fun thing to do! I know my daughter will love it! I just love the pics, keep 'em coming:goodvibes

I just made a lather in my hand and patted my braids,rinsed them as normal.
You dont get them right clean but it does. I keep mine in for 3 weeks.

Our girls just washed normally with shampoo.

The cornrows/braids are very tight. You will not be able to get "into" the braid itself. It's kind of the reverse of braiding your hair when it's wet; if you braid it tightly right after you washed it, when you unbraid it at the end of the day, it's still wet.

Now, you don't want to really, really, really scrub the hair/braids, because not matter how tight the braids are, you can get them out if you don't handle them properly. But, you can wash them to get them clean and wash our the sun screen and the sand.

Think of it this way...there are kids that get braids on the first day of the cruise. They sleep on them, play in the ocean, run around in the labs/clubs, change clothes a number of times, play in the onboard pools, go on excursions, and yet, at the end of the cruise, they still have their braids! A little shampoo in the morning is not going to make them fall out.

I got my hair braided in corn rows halfway back on my head. I do have to say that it did hurt me, it wasn't horrible, but it was not pleasant. My DD tried, got one half of her head cornrowed, and came crying to me. We undid the corn rows and got her four braids with beads hanging at the ends.

The thing I really wanted to share is that I took them out tonight. . .and while I had no problems taking them out, I lost a LOT of hair! By the time my shower was over, I had a tennis ball sized ball of my hair that had pulled out in huge clumps. I do have very thick hair, and I know it isn't a big deal, but it took me back to my post pregnancy days except worse. So, just as a personal experience, be aware that taking braids out might lose you a bit of hair.

Now, I just did a few cornrows on the side and kept the rest of my hair free. I can't find any pictures from the cruise...but I have a couple here from the weekend after I went out. I saw someone else getting this done, just a few on the side and I decided that was the best way to go. Although, my friends did call me two face for the two weeks I kept them in after I came home. I really liked them though and plan on doing the same thing when I go back in December! :P It was just $10, not including tip. I just wet them and rubbed a bit in the shower instead of full out washing them. (Sorry I don't have better pix, this was all I could find!)
13545_1288665977841_1265940679_30874941_4612133_n.jpg

13545_1288666057843_1265940679_30874943_1348775_n.jpg

Now, I just did a few cornrows on the side and kept the rest of my hair free. I can't find any pictures from the cruise...but I have a couple here from the weekend after I went out. I saw someone else getting this done, just a few on the side and I decided that was the best way to go. Although, my friends did call me two face for the two weeks I kept them in after I came home. I really liked them though and plan on doing the same thing when I go back in December! :P It was just $10, not including tip. I just wet them and rubbed a bit in the shower instead of full out washing them. (Sorry I don't have better pix, this was all I could find!)
13545_1288665977841_1265940679_30874941_4612133_n.jpg

13545_1288666057843_1265940679_30874943_1348775_n.jpg

Ooh, I like that look. Tropical without being too little-girl-ish.

I know this is a super old thread, but I figured it also can't hurt to bump the info up for other people who might be looking.

I just wanted to say that I've been getting my hair in cornrows since I was a little girl and it definitely can hurt really bad, but that depends on the braider. I've been to people who give me headaches and to people who I barely felt braiding.

For washing I make sure to concentrate on the scalp and do not scrub the hair excessively, but that's how I wash my (very curly) hair all the time.

Also depending on how long you keep them in apparent "hair loss" is normal. If you've kept them in for weeks then you're looking at a good amount of shed hair in the shower once you take them out. Remember that your hair sheds daily, but in the braids there's no way for those shed hairs to free themselves. So, you'll see hair fall once you take them out.

If the braids aren't excessively tight you shouldn't have actual "hair loss" as in tension alopecia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter