disneywife94

Earning My Ears
Hello!
My husband and I are going to Universal in November. We haven’t been in years, but we do Disney about once a year. I am a big roller coaster wimp/have major ride anxiety. How is Hagrids Motorbike Adventure and/or Escape From Gringotts?

My issue is big heights, big drops and big simulated drops. I love Test Track, Slinky Dog, Big Thunder, Splash, Rise of the Resistance and Mine Train and have 0 issues with those. I am a one and done on Everest (I dont like how long the “backwards” part is because it felt like I went upside down). I also didn’t do well on Flights of Passage or Forbidden Journey (too much simulation of drops for me). I didnt like The Mummy (I think because of the darkness and the backwards drops.) Husband is fearless and loves all roller coasters!

I know Hagrids is pretty low to the ground, but I’m worried about the speed and G forces? I’m also worried about Gringotts having simulated drops aside from the initial one (which I’ve seen isn’t terrible). Any fellow ride wimps that can calm my nerves? Or compare these to Disney rides? I love Harry Potter so im willing to try them…I think lol.

Gringotts I think you would be fine. There is one drop at the beginning that is more like one of the indoor Splash Mountain drops-not super high. The rest of the ride, the car moves on a track, quickly at times, but no other drops or anything. I prefer this ride without 3D glasses. Without those, you don't get simulated drops. Even with them its not bad though.

I think you should try Hagrid's. My husband doesn't like coasters and he adores this ride. He does love Big Thunder and Mine train, but not any of the "big" coasters. This is faster/more thrilling than those two, but no big drops. It does go backwards for a bit, but IMO not as crazy as the Everest backwards.

Gringotts isn't bad at all, there's no other big drops and the coaster portions are very similar to the mummy IMO....no backwards sections and the other parts are mostly show scenes

Gringotts- no issue. Hagrids- there are no huge drops like Hulk or Velicoaster. What is does have is the sudden starts-similar to Slinky Dog when you go under the arches. Husband doesn't like coasters and loves Hagrid (no major drops or anything, just fun and surprises). I think thats what makes Hagrids so much fun- it operates unlike any other coaster. Sudden starts and stops and one drop (but not like a big hill, just a purely vertical drop of maybe 10 feet that is just unexpected!).

Ride the sidecar on Hagrids first. Feels more secure.

My friend has those exact same dislikes (drops, feeling of dropping) and is fine on both those rides. She was nervous about Hagrids and did the sidecar the first time, then the bike afterwards - we now alternate. Hagrids is now her favorite ride anywhere (and Mummy).

Gringott's - sit in the front car, in the front row if possible. The more forward you are, the less of a drop you'll have.

Hagrid's is legitimately the most fun roller coaster I have ever been on. I wouldn't call it scary. I think it is just fun! I would try it if you can. We loved it! I think the other posters probably answered better but what I recall most of the ride was just that it was fast and fun. My ten year old is a bit of scaredy cat too and I intend to take her on it but I wouldn't take her on Everest or Rocking Roll Roller Coaster because I find them to be scarier.

Hello!

My issue is big heights, big drops and big simulated drops. I love Test Track, Slinky Dog, Big Thunder, Splash, Rise of the Resistance and Mine Train and have 0 issues with those. I am a one and done on Everest (I dont like how long the “backwards” part is because it felt like I went upside down). I also didn’t do well on Flights of Passage or Forbidden Journey (too much simulation of drops for me). I didnt like The Mummy (I think because of the darkness and the backwards drops.) Husband is fearless and loves all roller coasters!

I know Hagrids is pretty low to the ground, but I’m worried about the speed and G forces? I’m also worried about Gringotts having simulated drops aside from the initial one (which I’ve seen isn’t terrible). Any fellow ride wimps that can calm my nerves? Or compare these to Disney rides? I love Harry Potter so im willing to try them…I think lol.

My preferences are very similar to yours. I love what you listed, but I also get sick on the backwards part of Everest and in Forbidden Journey. I don't have any issues on Gringotts. As most have said, there's a drop at the beginning, but to me it feels shorter than Splash. And other than that, it's a pretty easy ride and in line with the rides you mentioned liking. I was incredibly nervous to try Hagrid's, but I love anything HP and my husband finally convinced me. They ended up sitting us in the front row and I was terrified. But once we started going, I could not stop laughing and happy screaming. It was close to my threshold for rides - it is quite fast. There's a little drop (but it's over before you can think about it - kind of like Rise). And there's a short going backwards section, but (at least for me) it's not nearly as bad as Everest. In the end, it was absolutely worth it. I would recommend giving it a shot! Pop some Dramamine/Bonine beforehand and that should help!

Last edited:
Hello!
My husband and I are going to Universal in November. We haven’t been in years, but we do Disney about once a year. I am a big roller coaster wimp/have major ride anxiety. How is Hagrids Motorbike Adventure and/or Escape From Gringotts?

I think you would find Gringotts easier than Hagrids, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try both. My 76 year old MIL went on Mummy Gringotts and Hagrids this last trip - and typically at DW would ride Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Snow White, Splash Mountain. As far as speed on Hagrid, it does have launches that sort of pull back when they go into a curve. It is endlessly fun.

Hagrid's does have a distinct backwards section - but it is nowhere near as intense (and DARK) as the one in Everest. There also are no drops in the traditional roller coaster sense, really. It is quite fast and there are some G forces - but it is very smooth and enjoyable. I agree with other posters above that you should try the sidecar the first time - it is lower to the track and perhaps slightly less intense.
For Gringotts - the drop part is totally a simulation - if you are not looking at the screen, you're not falling :-) There is a bit of a hill to start but it really isn't much.
I say go for both! I'm thinking you will love them.

Hagrid's does have a distinct backwards section - but it is nowhere near as intense (and DARK) as the one in Everest. There also are no drops in the traditional roller coaster sense, really. It is quite fast and there are some G forces - but it is very smooth and enjoyable. I agree with other posters above that you should try the sidecar the first time - it is lower to the track and perhaps slightly less intense.
For Gringotts - the drop part is totally a simulation - if you are not looking at the screen, you're not falling :-) There is a bit of a hill to start but it really isn't much.
I say go for both! I'm thinking you will love them.
For Gringotts' hill, sit in first car first row and the hill is really small.

Fellow scaredy cat here. Hagrid's I really enjoyed weirdly enough. I was in the side car so that might help. Haven't ridden on the motorcycle and I definitely would not ride in the front but not too bad. Maybe it was the Unicorn. I love Gringotts and ride it all the time. There is one good size drop an the closer you are to the front the less it is

Hagrid's is fun and i would never ride hulk or anything crazy. i rode the front so you might not like that since u high point at a stop, like expedition Everest but higher.

My 7 year old daughter who is a little afraid of rides loved both of these. She especially loved Hagrid's. As others have said, there is a backwards part. It isn't that long, and it goes much slower than EE when it goes backwards. It is just a superfun ride. Gringotts is also fun but more tame in my opinion.

gringotts for sure. Mummy is way worse.

I haven’t gotten to try hagrids yet. Hoping to jext
May!

Hagrids is awesome. It’s just good fun. Similar speed as test track. Backward portion is not long. Should should definitely go for it.

One of my sisters does not like roller coasters - she likes SDMT and Big Thunder Mountain, but Slinky Dog Dash was apparently too scary? She said she’ll never ride it again.

Gringotts is her favorite ride at UO. She’s been on Hagrid’s twice (two separate trips), and after the last ride she said she’d never do it again. I think heights is the primary factor (there’s one section where the track goes higher in the air). She said she doesn’t regret trying Hagrid’s - so I’d recommend you give it a try!

Both are excellent rides, though the wait for Hagrid's can be a bit crazy. Gringotts's is a favorite, but it is LOUD. I sometimes cover my ears, especially at the very end. (when the ride is basically over.) No matter what though, even if you ultimately chicken out, DO see the preshow. The queue and preshow are well worth seeing at least once.

If the screen/simulated drop portions are a problem, it will likely help a great deal to simply close your eyes during those short portions of the attraction.

Part of motion sickness is that your brain senses that your eyes are lying. Your ears know you aren't actually dropping, but your brain can't make sense of what your eyes see. Simply closing your eyes means you can't see the drop, so you only experience what your ears sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter