Hagrid’s EE Timeline - Busy Day

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
We rode Hagrid’s in EE this morning on a crowded day (still ramping down from holiday crowds). Timeline below:
6:55 Left room at RPR and arrived at the security point before it opened.
7:10 Arrived at the gate before the boats. We were the 3rd people in our line.
7:20 The area between the gates and ticket booths was full.
7:30 The TMs came through and said no one was going to work the entry for our line so we had to merge with the line to our left. Went from 3rd to 15th in line.
7:50 They opened. The third guy in our line had problems and took a while (the facial recognition seems to have as many if not more uses than the fingerprint).
8:00 We walked briskly (didn’t run). We passed some people and got passed by others. We DID use lockers. When we entered the outside queue the ride vehicles were still empty so they weren’t putting people on yet. We walked all the way to right before the room with the lighted arches on the walls.
8:25 Off the ride. Wait time was posted as 150.

Our total wait was 40 at the gate and 20 at Hagrid’s. Even if you feel that waiting is waiting, 60 mins is still good for a busy day and we only used 25 mins of park time. My family’s rule of thumb is if we’re in the front half of the space between the gates and booths it’s worth going to Hagrid’s. If not, we plan to do other things with our EE time.

Last edited:
This was our experience two weeks ago as well. Get there by 7:15, and you're in the front half of the group between the gate and the ticket booths. Get there after 7:30 or later, and you're all the way past the bridge. We had coffee and breakfast we brought from our room while we waited for the gates to open, which was usually right at 7:45. We were usually off the ride by 8:15, except for one time when they had mechanical troubles and did not open the ride or even let people through the queue until 8:40 or so. That was a bummer but we were still on it quickly once they got it up and running.

This was our experience two weeks ago as well. Get there by 7:15, and you're in the front half of the group between the gate and the ticket booths. Get there after 7:30 or later, and you're all the way past the bridge. We had coffee and breakfast we brought from our room while we waited for the gates to open, which was usually right at 7:45. We were usually off the ride by 8:15, except for one time when they had mechanical troubles and did not open the ride or even let people through the queue until 8:40 or so. That was a bummer but we were still on it quickly once they got it up and running.
Last Nov it was down at opening 2 of the 4 days we were there which was frustrating.

FWIW, we got in line at 8:45pm tonight and our actual wait was 58 minutes versus a posted wait of 120. We used a child swap -- yes, our toddler stayed up the whole time and handled it like a champ -- and our swap riders got off at about 9:55pm, at which time there were maybe 50 people left in the queue. Seems like it was pretty safely a one hour wait at the end of the day.

Did it again today. Arrived at 7:10 again. We were actually the 4th-8th people scanned in from our line today. Many people running. Way more than 2 days ago because there weren’t any employees saying otherwise. We got passed by a lot of people. We used lockers We walked all the way to the second to last switchback so it was basically walk on. The sign in Lost Continent said 45 mins but we were off the ride at 8:13. Contemplated getting back in line with a posted wait of 60 mins. We decided to go to Velocicoaster and FJ instead. Hagrid’s wait went to 100 minutes a couple minutes later. We did all 3 rides before official park open and were in line for Hippogriff before the regular 9 am open crowds arrived. It was awesome. If you can make it there by 7:10 and Hagrid’s opens on time it makes for a great morning ahead of the crowds.

One thing to know is that when you pick a line at that time, everyone in front of you is holding a spot for 4ish people. It’s wise to politely ask them so at least you know (we got being one woman who was first and was only holding a spot for 2 other people - yay!). I think we were the only family there at that time that was complete.

Thanks for your report and information - very helpful. I assume you walked over from your resort in the morning. Can you comment on what time the CityWalk walkway security entrance opens up? I cannot find anything specific online about that anywhere, but would assume that all CityWalk security entrances open at the same time (1 hour before EE begins). My thought was that if one is able to get there very very early, then walking from the resorts on that side would be an advantage as that security entrance is closer to the IOA entrance than the boats or parking garage/bus entrances and if they all open at the same time, then it would be faster to walk in the morning.

We did this over MLK weekend (this past weekend). Got to the gate around 7:15 first morning. Finished with the ride at 8:20. next morning we were a little late- go to gate closer to 7:30. FInished with ride at 8:40.

I did this staying at cabana bay and walked and was in line for IOA by like 8:03. If driving, what time do the parking lots open and when does security open up by the parking lot/bus station ? How early can you get to the IOA entrance?

Thanks for your report and information - very helpful. I assume you walked over from your resort in the morning. Can you comment on what time the CityWalk walkway security entrance opens up? I cannot find anything specific online about that anywhere, but would assume that all CityWalk security entrances open at the same time (1 hour before EE begins). My thought was that if one is able to get there very very early, then walking from the resorts on that side would be an advantage as that security entrance is closer to the IOA entrance than the boats or parking garage/bus entrances and if they all open at the same time, then it would be faster to walk in the morning.
This was walking from the resort, yes. I think the boat security opens a little earlier to get the first boat loaded. The first day we did this (8 am EE), security on the walk from RPR to CW was not open at 7. It was a little after 7 and there was a line. The second day it was open when we got there so maybe a couple minutes before 7. So my guess is 7 but it may vary a bit day to day with the personnel opening it up?

Today Sat 2/3, EE 8am:
On bus 7:15am - no wait at bus stop (Dockside), very full bus. No line at security.
In line at gate 7:26am, back row of people lined up at individual scanner gates.
They opened up around 7:50.
Posted 45min where the pre locker "line" starts.
Entered official Hagrids line 8:03 (after lockers, going under archway).
Walked with minimal pauses to the "egg hallway."
21min to last queue room.
On bike 8:30.

Note: not one person barged through to "meet" their party. Refreshing!

One thing to know is that when you pick a line at that time, everyone in front of you is holding a spot for 4ish people. It’s wise to politely ask them so at least you know (we got being one woman who was first and was only holding a spot for 2 other people - yay!). I think we were the only family there at that time that was complete.
Normally we try to avoid this kind of thing as we find it annoying, but knowing it's that common... If I left with my kids to line up as close to 7am as possible and DH met us maybe 15 minutes later with food/snacks I wouldn't get TOO many dirty looks?

We're trying to figure out how we can hit up the club lounge for breakfast (since that's kind of the whole point of paying for it) and still make EE lineup when the lounge doesn't even open until 7 🙃

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter