Gyms in the time of COVID

FlightlessDuck

Y kant Donald fly?
The gym I go to has been closed since March. It's opening on Friday. Without going into the details about how they are going to keep things clean, how do you feel about going to a gym right now? Masks will be encouraged but not enforced. If you aren't wearing a mask, the required social distance is 14 feet, not 6.

I'm really not sure how I feel about going

Don't worry. I'm sure all the staphylococcus bacteria will eat the Covid.

I quit gym years ago. They can't even deal with Staph, so why should I think they can deal with Covid?

Last edited:
Neither DH nor I have resumed going to our places. His is a traditional gym which he joined free with Silver Sneakers, but paid for additional one-on-one training. After pausing the charges for those for 2 months, they restarted that. He likes to swim also, and the pool was not open at first, but may be now.

Mine is a daily class held in a gymnastics studio. I plan to email the trainer and see how attendance has been the last 2 weeks he has been open. Still on the fence.

We've been going to our gym since it reopened a couple weeks ago (in OH). The gym is like a crossfit type of facility, basically just a warehouse with turf and equipment. They're class-based, so they've cut the number of participants in each class and it's mandatory to sign in online so they know how many people are coming to each class. You have your own station, with your own weights/equipment and wipe down everything before moving to the next station. Or, in the case of the morning boxing class that I took the other day, you have your own bag and everyone is at least 6 feet spaced apart. It's been nice to get back into a routine and the added bonus of working from home is the ability to go to a 10am class.

Our gym opened last week. I went so I could swim. Today after my swim I went upstairs to the treadmills.

Every two treadmills are closed off with signs. So it goes open treadmill, closed treadmill, closed treadmill. Same with the other cardio equipment. As soon as I got of the treadmill someone came over to clean it with the disinfectant spray.

I did not venture over to the weights area because I had no need.

As for wearing masks it has been interesting. The swimmers are all wearing masks until we get into the pool. Few others are wearing a mask as they go upstairs. I was one of the few who had a mask until I started my run. My mask went back on when I finished.

I have not gone back and likely will not. We added an all in one home gym and a band set to our garage during the closure period and I’ve found that I really like it. It has eliminated the travel time.

My DH is a hardcore life long weight trainer so he went back a couple of weeks after they reopened. He wears a mask, gloves and limits himself to only 2-3 times per week rather than his normal 5-6. Just the days that he feels the need for more weight than we have at home and possibly a spotter. The other days he works out at home. He doesn’t do cardio In the gym so he keeps the mask on. He assured me that machines are taped off to allow for distancing and there are not a lot of people there. It is a very large facility.

Truthfully, I wish he wouldn’t go especially since Texas is ramping up. He, however, feels that since he has had to go back to his office and he takes precautions, it’s OK.

I've been going for the elliptical since ours reopened. Masks are optional for clients, but they do temp checks at the front desk and every 2 hours they kick everyone out for about 15 min to clean. It's pretty empty, especially the cardio area, and I feel comfortable going. The free weights are slightly more crowded but still plenty of social distancing room. I get closer to people shopping in stores.

My gym opened about a month ago, maybe 6 weeks. I've gone a few times and don't feel uncomfortable. You have to complete a questionnaire prior to arrival, but on the same day. They have someone outside the door checking temps and verifying you answered the questions online. Once you are in the gym, it's a one way course from check in, grab your own bottle of spray sanitizer, then you can go left to cardio machines (every other machine is taped off) or right to the circuit machines (again every other machine is taped off or moved to create a six foot or more buffer between machines) and free weights. You are to sanitize the equipment before and after use. The water fountains and locker rooms are blocked off (idk if you can use the restroom in an emergency). There is a person whose sole job appears to be cleaning equipment after you've used and cleaned it as well as the regular cleaning staff who are performing the routine cleaning of the facility. When you leave, you follow a one way, circuitous pathway out of the building that takes you through several closed areas and drop your sanitizer bottle off in a bin as you exit. You are to wear your mask when you are not actively exercising (ie walking in or leaving) and they do not allow gym bags or changes of clothes. The gym is closed for several hours midday for deep cleaning.

I personally think it is an unecessary risk. There are a million ways to exercise for free, at home, safely.

Our gym has decided to stay closed for good. :( The other choice nearby does not have a pool or steam room (that DH likes) and we would need to make an appointment before going there. Maybe we will stick with the on-line workouts for now.

Nope. We are putting our membership on hold until we feel safe returning, which we do not now. Besides, it's summer. The great outdoors works FANTASTIC as a treadmill. Plus, I have a gym quality stairstepper and freeweights in my basement. No need whatsoever to take a risk. All that heavy breathing in a relatively confined space seems like a bad idea to me personally.

I go to a HIIT training type gym which only offers classes and personal training. My husband and I started back when it reopened. They have changed to 1/2 the number of people in each class and individual stations/equipment rather than moving around the gym. They check temps every time you enter and you have to sign up in advance. After the workout you sanitize and wipe down all the equipment and they don't have back to back classes to allow for extra cleaning by the staff. There is also sanitizer at every station which I use when I change sets of equipment (free weights to kettle bell, etc.).

I feel it's just as safe or safer than a store. I definitely don't come within 6 feet of anyone and everything is cleaned continually. I do go less frequently than before and use my home elliptical on off days.

Gyms in my county are still closed. Masks are mandatory starting tomorrow for all public indoor spaces. I can’t imagine working out with a mask. I’ve been working out at home and won’t go back to the gym for probably several months. It’s a risk I don’t feel comfortable taking.

Dd started working out with her personal trainer this week. It’s a small facility and they are only allowed to have 9 people there at one time. She needs to start training for her upcoming volleyball season and she can’t do that adequately at home. She stays 6 feet away from anyone, which I’m not sure is enough given the heavy breathing.

Our Governor here in MI decided last minute to not have our gyms open because our numbers have gone up more than she wants.

I'm not nearly comfortable enough to return to gyms. I've considered for my water aerobics classes, since it's easy enough to stay distanced, but the idea of walking through the locker room gives me the creepies. We got the treadmill out of storage and re-arranged one of the bedrooms instead.

The one shining beacon of positivity that has come out of this whole mess is that I not only have an excuse not to go to the gym, but that I can actually feel virtuous about it. I will sacrifice toned abs and biceps for the welfare of humanity.

Our gym has been open now for three weeks. It has limited occupancy and you can check an app online to see if it is full. They have blocked every other machine to allow social distancing. You are required to wear masks when entering the building at the lockers but once you’re at your workout area you can take it off. Trainers are wearing masks. At the counter though with plexiglass divider they are allowed to take them off.Drink stations are gone ( bring own water) and even before Covid you were required to wipe down all equipment with wetwipes. They have tubes of disinfecting wipes all over the place. Classes have reduced occupancy and you have to bring your own mat now . Before the studio provided mats where you would just have to place your towel on top. Weather permitting classes will be held outside. Our health club is part of a larger spa/ pool complex and there’s a beautiful terrace. Tonight I went to step class and was the first class we had outside oh my God it was awesome. Perfect breeze that was nice and cool. I took a shot with my camera. I’m attaching that picture overall. I feel safe working out at this health club. It’s also very airy and open huge ceilings. Basically 2 to 3 stories tall. There are signs that say they change the air-conditioning system where the air is circulated and cleaned removing 99.9% of viruses. I feel this is low risk.
One more thing. All cardio equipment have these ventilators on the display that basically blow on your face. I never use these and I figure I’ll turn these and blow the air away from me or maybe I’m blowing the virus into my face? I really don’t know LOL but for now I have the air on just to get airflow moving2E3AE428-B135-469E-BCBF-206361E161FC.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter