guy on top of dudley

fboy9287

DIS Veteran
why is there "monties" standing on the lift hill and before the last drop? What can they do?

I saw a mountie there last week, he smiled and gave us a wave...

Patty

OH I saw him too. YOu mean the guy at the top of the hill? I didn't notice he was dressed as a Mountie. I'm so observant. He looked to me like he was at a control board or something...or like someone at the top of a park's waterslide tryin to keep order.

By the way the Dudley ride was the best water ride of that type that I've ever been on. I do like the scenery in Splash Mountain better (more of it I think); and I think that Dudley could use a bit more to look at inside...but the actual ride was terrific!! And my oh my....what a view you have from the top!!

There are two "mounties" stationed on the Ripsaw ride track area. One is at the "hideout" or "pivot" position (top of the final drop), and one is stationed on a maintenance balcony overlooking the base of lift #2.

These are strictly safety positions for monitoring guest behavior and insure SAFE guest behavior on the ride.

Think about your last visit to a non-Disney or non-Universal theme park. Remember that most all log flumes have a small control booth or "spotter" at the top of the large drops. Sea World also has a "spotter" position (kinda behind a curtain) stationed at the top of the large drop on Journey to Atlantis. River Adventure even has a control booth located next to T-Rex for the "safety lookout."

These positions are strictly for safety. We know the rides are safe, we also know guests usually leave their brains in the car and don't realize the possible consequences of unsafe behavior.

You will now see the BRAND NEW control booth that has been constructed at the top of the final drop or "Hideout" at Ripsaw Falls.

Busch Gardens has a booth for an employee on both their water rides.

I think I saw Earl one time on Ripsaw Falls. He was whispering secrets to everyone. :)

The Jurassic Park booth is on the right hand side just as the boat drops off. The new booth at Ripsaw Falls is also on the right hand side just before your log moves onto the conveyor before the final drop.

So I'm guessing these people have some sort of emergecy stop button? Incase someone deciedes they don't want to ride anymore? I wonder how often this has to be used?

I would assume there is an emergency stop button in case of flume problems or guests who try to climb out. There's always some sort of safety measure.

As well as an E-Stop there is a Station Stop, which will stop the log on the conveyor prior to the final drop. If an E-Stop in initiated, it causes all of the water to empty. The Station Stop is used for any safety issue before the final drop.

Technically, any time a Guest exits the RV while the ride is in operation, an E-Stop should be depressed. If someone looks like they are about to exit, or thinking about exiting, a Station Stop should be depressed.

It's a pain when an E-Stop is hit becuase it takes anywhere between 20 and 45 minutes to get the ride running again. The water drains from all three circuits and the techs have to re-enable the ride by running to every control panel on the ride in a certain sequence.

chris mcfly, there are 3 circuits? I just thought it was one then divided into two for the drop and turn back to the exit station.

What he meant is that there are three circuits of water, the lower, middle and top circuits. Because of the lifts and drops, the water cannot flow from the beginning of the ride to the end; therefore, it is divided into three circuits.

Oh, im not talking about troughs :) ... When i say circuits i mean there are three seperate water systems.. the lower one is the water at load and unload, the middle circuit is where the bear cave is, the saw mill, etc, and the upper circut is the last few feet before the final drop.

But yeah, you were right about the two troughs dividing into two and then back into one.

There are 3 circuits in the ride. Lower: TNT shack to bottom of lift 1. Intermediate: Lift 1 to Sawmill. Upper: Sawmill runout to the final drop. Each circuit has its own associated pump groups and circuitry. And yes it does take time to re-enable that ride. If you ever see the water go away, plan on a long brake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter