Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

A funny thing happened back in 2015 around the week after Memorial Day. Two guys who had been chatting back and forth on the Dis for about 5-6 years just happened to cross paths down at GSP during this particular week. During the course of that path crossing there was a shrimp boil and their families got together. Shortly after that, I believe it was that very night, a "Mini-Dismeet" report was posted and commented on. Those two guys commented on how the crowds were actually not too bad the week after Memorial Day and how the weather was not too hot and all the restaurants and activities were open and so they decided to meet up again the next year. Only, this time they posted in advance.

and it picked up followers...lots of them.

That next year it grew to about 6-7 Disers and their families and some friends.

Same thing in 2017, only the numbers grew some more.

Come a long way since Ed and I first met up on Bear Road on site 136 that year. I can still remember eating shrimp and potatoes and watching the show as that poor guy tried to back that 40+ foot long toy hauler into site 138 in the dark. Shame he never was able to get around that palm bush.

This year was a first for us all, with the threat of a TS causing some of us to leave earlier than we had wanted. However, the weather was still great to be honest and the two Dismeet meals were fantastic as usual.

While we were sitting outside one of the nights we got on the discussion of other places to meet up in the future. The idea was brought up about potentially changing from GSP to another location at that time. Some ideas did come up, as Joe mentioned above. When I got home, I really got to thinking about it. What it has meant to us each year, always looking forward to seeing the familiar faces, the food, the shopping (my wife's input). It has really grown to something that the actual workers at GSP have come to recognize and actually commented to me about us all "being back again". So I really got to thinking about the new idea of trying other places and discussing it with Ed found we both agree that GSP, the Memorial Day meeting would probably be a good thing to keep rolling on with. Memorial Day Weekend is typically a longer weekend, giving some of us some extra time off work and making it easier to go. The weather is enjoyable (minus Alberto of course) not too hot or muggy. Let's face it, everyone likes the beach. Not everyone can make it each year, some years not as long a stay as other years, but still it has worked out pretty good once I had a chance to think about it.

Personally I think we should continue with the GSP dismeet each year. Stacey has agreed that she would hate to miss the fun of it, even with the yellow flies. She has decided that she is gonna try more long pants in the evenings and mornings (when they are mainly out) next year since it is already booked and planned. Who knows, if that helps out maybe we can continue with it for us. If not, others will come to take our place. The fun will still be there and we'll still be following along.

Now, about that idea of Dismeets at other locations. @Teamubr and others did raise the bar this year when they organized a midwest Dismeet. Gave better opportunity for those who were too far away from GSP or their work schedules kept them from being able to attend. I like that it expanded, I actually entertained the idea of attending but my schedule wouldn't allow it. Point is, it gave opportunity for more of us to get together and see new faces, but also new campgrounds and locations. I think we should expand on this, try and organize other locations at various times throughout the year. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge TN is a good place, but there are also places I haven't been that I want to try and see and maybe score some Dismeet along with it. How about the east coast? Carolinas? Washington DC? Pennsylvania and that area seems to be a popular location of several of our Disers. Northeast anybody? Kentucky, the list goes on and on. Point is, we now have a plan in place each year for GSP around the Memorial Day weekend, and it has worked out well so far and after further thinking on it I believe it should remain. Now, if we could get about 3-4 other regular places or general areas to get together this would be nice as well.

Point is, some of you are just too far away to make it, but this doesn't mean we can't ALSO set up other Dismeets well in advance at other locations to try and go to as well. Who knows, maybe a few of us could make several of them in a year. I would certainly try. I need input here folks. We have a fairly large following in the Northeast with Disers like @snowmedic , @PaHunter , @peg110 , @pluto67 , @4077 , @FtW Mike and several others that I can't name all of you Yankees but maybe something in your neck of the woods. Tennessee /Virginia is middle ground as well. I'll wrastle a bear if needed, perhaps an elk?

HERE IS THE MAIN POINT I WANTED TO GET ACROSS ON THIS POST:

Best idea I heard.

So, now I gotta put @Flametamr on the spot. Ole Joe probably pitched the single best idea of all and that was trying to organize a large Dismeet at FW. I mean, it is where this all started at. Joe, my friend, I'm letting you sniff this one out and carry that torch. I agree, as did Ed when we were talking, that this was probably the best idea of all to try and set up. Perhaps in 2019, or maybe 2020 would be better. October could be a good time to try, or is there a time that is better for more people? We can still set it up for 2019 as the booking hasn't opened up yet for that time so we have time to plan and organize so that we can all try and jump on it if the times are right. We need to start the ball rolling though. Perhaps a separate thread on this one is the best way to address it and again, Joe, I'm leaving that one in your hands. You pitched the idea, you carry it sir.

If we had a Dismeet at FW, like Ed had suggested to me, probably try and get one evening for us all to get together because lets face it, if we are down there we are gonna each want to do different parks or things with Disney parties and what not but it would for sure be something I'm interested in.

Since I am new to the group, let me introduce myself. I'm Judy, newly retired, long time Disneyaholic. Purchased my MH 3 years ago and have stayed at the fort 7 times, with last visit was just 2 weeks ago. I am a crafter and normally give out give away with a Mickey design on the bag and little things like color books crayons chalk etc on the inside.
I live north of Atlanta GA in Alpharetta.

Last edited:
@tiggerdad I'm really sorry about throwing you under the bus on this, you could just explain it so much better than me and man you nailed it! You know I'm up for anything anywhere, just say when and where. And the idea of doing it at the fort would be awesome, because like you said it's the thing that got us all together in the first place. Good friends and great people and some good food!

Judy, sounds like you will fit in well around here. Don't be a stranger on the boards. If you are gonna be hanging with us next year at GSP you gotta get to posting so we have something to comment on next year.

I think a DISMeet at the Fort sounds like a great idea. Main thing for folks is to put a stake in the ground on a potential date that people can plan around. That way if they were going to put a planned trip together at a different time of year, they might consider the DISMeet date in order to make just one trip rather than try two.

DW looked over my shoulder just now and said October is not good for her (meaning it's not too good for me either :scared: ). October is nice weather-wise and some school systems have fall breaks that could be used but I know my old school system nailed down their Aug-May calendar in January (as in January 2018 for Aug18-May19 school calendar). Or we could use the May date of the Gulf DISMeet and schedule something in 2020 at the Fort in May. IMO May is as late as I want to push a WDW vacation at the Fort personally. There are folks who already have 2019 Gulf reservations (me included) so I'm leaning toward a 2020 Fort DISMeet. But lots of folks are in school (kids and DISsers who are teachers or spouses of DISsers) and if their fall break didn't line up with the DISMeet date, they are out of luck.

I admit I am emotionally attached to the Gulf DISMeet because they've been lots of fun and a great way to meet people. But it might be better for other folks and their availability to put a 2020 Gulf DISMeet on hiatus and use that date for a Fort DISMeet. Just an option to consider. I remember having that discussion about a Fort DISMeet, tiggerdad, now that you mention it.

Yes, a Fort DISMeet would also probably attempt to hold ONE SPECIFIC NIGHT out so we could have some sort of group dinner/cookout. It would help with planning ADR's, park days, etc. if that is nailed down well in advance.

So boil down my points:

1. Fort DISMeet (who would be in favor of attending)? Any interest out there to try this?
2a. What month a Fort DISMeet? (May-Memorial Day week, October-not around Halloween, other TBD) Determine dates WELL IN ADVANCE (over a year ahead)
2b. What year for a Fort DISMeet-2019 or 2020? remember advance lead times and the 500 day booking calendar
3. Use a Travel Agent or everyone book individually?

Let's kick around ideas over here and then maybe narrow some alternatives down and do a poll on the main Camping Board to get the idea out to a wider audience.

Ed

PS - the more I think about it, a Memorial Day week trip to the Fort in May 2020 might work. Gulf would go on hiatus for that year. That's my lean for now.

Last edited:
Goodmorning, After finishing my home chores I checked the weather and headed back down to the camper. We decided to eat out and tried King Neptunes. It was good but very small portions for the cost. Not recommended.

Sorry to hear that, Joe. King Neptune's is one of my top 5, especially for lunch.

ED

Since I am new to the group, let me introduce myself. I'm Judy, newly retired, long time Disneyaholic. Purchased my MH 3 years ago and have stayed at the fort 7 times, with last visit was just 2 weeks ago. I am a crafter and normally give out give away with a Mickey design on the bag and little things like color books crayons chalk etc on the inside.
I live north of Atlanta GA in Alpharetta.

Nice to have you plan to be with us in 2019, Judy.

Ed

May-July and 2nd week of October would be my best bets at a FW Dismeet. I agree that after the last week of May or first week of June the heat and increased crowds would be a bit much. I've done the 1st week in June before in 2012 on my first FW trip and it was not that bad minus the learning experience of leaving the canopy out.

I'd hate to stop the 2019 GSP meet as most of us already have the reservations and sites in place. It's not impossible to cancel them out and go for Memorial Day in 2019. I can do this, and I am willing to if 2019 seems better than 2020.

November during or around Thanksgiving is a good time, last year we went before Thanksgiving, is was cool weather and not so crowded. Anytime is fine with us, just not a big fan of going in the middle of summer.

Welcome to the party Judy. Glad to have you join our little party.

Well, hate to barge in on everyone's planning session. But just wanted to let everyone know we got home safe and sound. Will work on finishing up, our TR later, tonight is pizza and wings, then bed. Have to be up at 4am, back to work, ugh.

Wow. Turn in early tonight, Chris. Glad you made it home safe.

Ed

Well, hate to barge in on everyone's planning session. But just wanted to let everyone know we got home safe and sound. Will work on finishing up, our TR later, tonight is pizza and wings, then bed. Have to be up at 4am, back to work, ugh.

Do let us know how the rest of the trip went.

Glad you're in safe.

Welcome to the DIS Judyfun, I'd say welcome to The Fort, but I think welcome back is more appropriate since you've been 7 times already :worship:

I've been reading feverishly at all the postings. Personally I would like the fall 2020, but if we settle on a date far enough in advance we should be able to make any date.

Chris/Jen, glad you have made it home safely!! Judy welcome to the group!! Tiggerdad/Stacy hope you are feeling better. We are pretty flexible on our camping. Our kids are going to the Fort October 2020 & they want us to go with them. Just let us know the dates & we will be there with bells on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter