• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guest Services note

numberonenole

Mouseketeer
When getting the assistance card, can I give the person at guest services a note explaining what we need instead of having to say it? Since I will have my child with me, listening to every thing I say. I am learning that he has more going on in that brain than I realize! Thanks!

I'm curious about this too. I'm kinda horrified at how everyone wants me to discuss all DD deficits in front of her. I realize why Disney does this, but I hope they can make accommodations for a note :)

Yes, if you bring a note explaining her needs, they will read it and issue based on that. Remember, the diagnosis is not important, the needs are.

My husband always stays with the boys off to the side while I explain what we need, then he brings them over. I don't mind talking in front of them, it's just easier since GS is usually very busy and we don't take up all the room at the counter.

I'm curious about this too. I'm kinda horrified at how everyone wants me to discuss all DD deficits in front of her. I realize why Disney does this, but I hope they can make accommodations for a note :)

No one would be thrilled to have a laundry list of 'deficits' aired for no apparent reason. But someday will your DD have to 'own' her issues herself? Is there a plan for her independence? And why would you call them deficits in the first place? :confused3 No one is perfect, we all have things we are good at and not good at, so why would you phrase this as such?

How about approaching the CM with "hi, my daughter has difficulty with... and we were wondering if you had any advice on how to approach that in the park?" I think owning the issues makes them much easier to accept and doesn't shame anyone into thinking ill of themselves.

Yes, you may bring us a note that YOU wrote, not a doctor. However, be advised that it needs to focus on the needs and not the diagnosis. Also, be aware that we may need to ask additional questions if the note is not clear.

At the risk of sounding uncaring, please keep the notes short, too. I had one the other day that was two pages and the guest insisted I read all of it, even though most of it talked about how the child was diagnosed five years prior, how the school didn't give the proper accommodations, and how her child functioned on the school bus. I just need to know how we can help at the park...

Yes, you may bring us a note that YOU wrote, not a doctor. However, be advised that it needs to focus on the needs and not the diagnosis. Also, be aware that we may need to ask additional questions if the note is not clear.

At the risk of sounding uncaring, please keep the notes short, too. I had one the other day that was two pages and the guest insisted I read all of it, even though most of it talked about how the child was diagnosed five years prior, how the school didn't give the proper accommodations, and how her child functioned on the school bus. I just need to know how we can help at the park...
I happened to be in Guest Relations once where someone insisted on reading the doctor note about her elderly mother to them.
I'm convinced it was her hospital discharge summary - it went into her medical problem list, the type of transfer she did (assist of 2), type of diet (general, low salt), her medication list and toileting - none of which was pertinent to WDW.
When the CM tried to ask questions, she just kept going back to the report.

I agree with what Schmeck wrote - we should be teaching our kids to advocate for themselves if possible.
And, if that's not possible, look at needs rather than deficits.

Personally, "needs" are just that. "Needs" are what the individual requires to accomplish something.

To use an example, a person in a wheelchair "needs" an elevator to get to the second floor of a building. They approach the person at the front desk and say, "I have a meeting on the second floor, where is the elevator located?" They don't need to tell the at the front desk why they are in a wheelchair, or focus on their "deficits." To me, being in a wheelchair is just that, it doesn't mean the person is "deficit" in any way.

In my situation, I have never focused on what my DD "can't" do. If I did, life would be miserable for both of us. I tend to focus on what she can do or what it takes to have her accomplish it. Because of my attitude, I tend to take the same approach when explaining my DD's "needs" to someone else. For example, "My DD really enjoys WDW. She can become overwhelmed and frustrated when other people get in her space or there is a lot of confusion. Her tolerance level is about 20 minutes waiting in lines. We have learned that an alternative entrance has worked for great in the past." My DD is a person, not a diagnosis nor is she "deficit" in any way.

Because I have approached things this way, my DD has learned to advocate for herself in the same way. She now explains things for herself. She is her best advocate. She is not embarrassed nor am I that she needs some accommodations. I have never hidden that from her. Explaining what her needs are in front of her tells her that I understand her and that she needs accommodations and that I am accepting her as a person. Accommodations do not define who my DD is.

Clearly everyone read that as *I* believe she has deficits...this is not the case. We all have difficulties. I am simply now finding out her struggles. She is 5.5 and very capable of telling anyone what her needs/frustrations/difficulties are. The therapists refer to the lack of coping skills as deficits and the long hours in offices focusing on these (pinpointing, discussing-ad nauseum because she is newly diagnosed) is taking it's toll on her momma. I appreciate the poster above me pointing out that we can teach her to advocate for her own needs and I will absolutely take this approach since I now have additional words and ideas in my toolbox.

For anyone who thinks I believe my daughter IS a deficit or IS her diagnosis, first of all, shame on you for jumping to conclusions and secondly, aren't we all here because we need support and help from each other? Our family is new to the world of a diagnosed disability for our amazingly precious daughter and I was simply hoping to find alternative means of addressing what I thought might hurt her, not a lecture on my evidently poor word choice that I learned from the "professionals."

Sorry to have offended.

Op sorry you're feeling attacked but you said your daughter was deficit. It hard when you hear that word in conjunction with something your child does or doesn't do but we don't let it define our children. At 5.5 your daughter probably realizes she's different than her peers. My older dd can tell you she doesn't talk so well and can't run so fast but she can draw well and read. She goes to school with kids who can't sit still, don't know all the rules, are just learning to walk or talk and they are all her friends and they also do wonderful things. Does that make sense. We have always talked to our kids about their strengths and weaknesses.
As for wdw, I personally think your dd should be there with you when you speak with the cm. make it simple and matter fact. Explain before hand that the cm is going to help you come up with ways to make waiting easier for her. Keep to the facts about what make it difficult for her to stand in line. If your dd hears you talk about it like it's not a big deal, it isn't a big deal.

I'm all for teaching self-advocating, but I'm also not going to tell someone they have to do so out loud. Plenty of adults who need GACs (and who are not ashamed of their impairment(s)) use letters to communicate their needs to GS. Sometimes it's due to anxiety talking in general, sometimes it's due to personal nature (i.e. when bathroom issues are part of the need), and there are many other reasons why a letter might be better or more comfortable for the requester. There are also times to teach advocating and times to not worry so much about it. I'm not sure I'd expect a 5 1/2 y/o to be able to explain her needs and if I were the kid in question, I'd far prefer to have a CM given a letter than to be talked about in third person about medical stuff I probably don't understand. The OP's daughter is probably getting enough of that right now with going through the diagnosis process. (I know it often can't be helped with doctors, teachers, etc.)

I will say, as someone who has multiple impairments (of multiple types), that I don't think of 'deficit' as a negative word. I have executive functioning deficits; all that means is that my brain doesn't process things the same way as is considered 'normal'. I feel the same way about the words 'disability' and 'impairment'. Disability is not inherently negative and neither is having an impairment. There is nothing wrong with having deficits, impairments, or being disabled. The negative parts are in how society views those things. I don't really have a problem with parents considering their kids as having deficits unless they then teach the kid that having them is inherently bad (this is why I get upset when people talk about hating an impairment their kid has; most kids can't make the distinction between the condition and their selves). The OP didn't sound to me like she considers her kid any less because of her impairments or like she's presented being different as being bad.

I'm all for teaching self-advocating, but I'm also not going to tell someone they have to do so out loud. Plenty of adults who need GACs (and who are not ashamed of their impairment(s)) use letters to communicate their needs to GS. Sometimes it's due to anxiety talking in general, sometimes it's due to personal nature (i.e. when bathroom issues are part of the need), and there are many other reasons why a letter might be better or more comfortable for the requester. There are also times to teach advocating and times to not worry so much about it. I'm not sure I'd expect a 5 1/2 y/o to be able to explain her needs and if I were the kid in question, I'd far prefer to have a CM given a letter than to be talked about in third person about medical stuff I probably don't understand. The OP's daughter is probably getting enough of that right now with going through the diagnosis process. (I know it often can't be helped with doctors, teachers, etc.) I will say, as someone who has multiple impairments (of multiple types), that I don't think of 'deficit' as a negative word. I have executive functioning deficits; all that means is that my brain doesn't process things the same way as is considered 'normal'. I feel the same way about the words 'disability' and 'impairment'. Disability is not inherently negative and neither is having an impairment. There is nothing wrong with having deficits, impairments, or being disabled. The negative parts are in how society views those things. I don't really have a problem with parents considering their kids as having deficits unless they then teach the kid that having them is inherently bad (this is why I get upset when people talk about hating an impairment their kid has; most kids can't make the distinction between the condition and their selves). The OP didn't sound to me like she considers her kid any less because of her impairments or like she's presented being different as being bad.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your view point. It is kind and very valuable. I hope you are having a fabulous Thanksgiving!

Doesn't deficit mean you don't have enough of something? Can a deficit be made up? I think if you look at deficit as meaning 'doesn't have' then you kind of cut off the chance that a coping skill or even an improvement in the issue is not possible. I think I like the word 'difficulty' better. I think a short note stating issues a person may have difficulty with would be very helpful.

Doesn't deficit mean you don't have enough of something? Can a deficit be made up? I think if you look at deficit as meaning 'doesn't have' then you kind of cut off the chance that a coping skill or even an improvement in the issue is not possible. I think I like the word 'difficulty' better. I think a short note stating issues a person may have difficulty with would be very helpful.

Personally, I don't like the word. We call them challenges in our home and with our daughter and we make sure that she knows we know she can overcome challenges and that we demonstrate we have and overcome challenges of our own. I was using the term given to me by professionals because we are all adults here discussing our children's disabilities so I figured it would be kosher to use the word we keep hearing (assuming, evidently incorrectly, that other people hear this word, too?).

And when I think of the word "deficit" I think of money and you can overcome a deficit by working hard and making better choices, so though I don't like the word, I didn't find it to be SOOO offensive.

I agree with having your child stand or sit nearby but that they don't need to listen to the conversation. It's a vacation and my child is keenly aware of his status so it just gets the whole vacation started on a serious note having to sit there through yet another medical talk. I also qualify for a GAC/DAS so typically I just get one to avoid him having to deal. The other part of having a pass is that at rides they often ask what you need (in a very nice way to be helpful) so having a quick easy answer ready to go is really helpful. Something like we need more time to board or we need to take a route without stairs, etc etc.

Also, you can give them all the notes that you want, but if the CM has a question about how they can better serve you, they will ask it. So you might bring a note and STILL have to explain things verbally.

Also, you can give them all the notes that you want, but if the CM has a question about how they can better serve you, they will ask it. So you might bring a note and STILL have to explain things verbally.

Or you can bring a pen. I would hope that a CM would respect a person's desire to keep their needs (or their child's needs) unspoken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter