GRRRR....frustrating!!!!!

wheeler

CHARTER MEMBER '97
This is very frustrating...... I just called Member Services to ask about this "Magical Beginnings" thing and they said, "Uhhhhh....I know what it is, but I can't talk about it. You need to talk to your salesperson." Well, geez! I would consider doing an add-on or something if there's a good deal going on, but they won't tell me? I called my salesperson and she's "at BWV today....please leave a message". GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! What's this 10 point thing? I thought the points cost like, $75 each? I just closed in July and now I feel like I'm missing out on something. Can one of you guys please explain it to me when you get a chance? I'm going to be offsite from 11am to 8pm so I just know I'm gonna miss my salesperson's call.........
I really appreciate any help, thanks!

We answered the question under your other post. Just to add that MB is available for add ons when you purchase 100 points or more at VWL, 50 points or more at HH or VB.

Magical Beginnings is a program offered by Disney that allows you to get a discount off your purchase price by giving up some of your points from your first use year. For example when I bought into the DVC you were allowed to sell back 1/2 of your first year points to Disney at $10 per point up to a maximum of $2000 off if you participated in the magical beginnings program. As an example if the purchase price was $20,000 and you bought 400 points you could sell back 200 points at $10 each for a total of $2000 off the purchase price making your original cost $18000 instead of $20000. I have made up the numbers to make the example simple to understand. You would only have 200 points to use during your first use year, however. All this is subject to changes by Disney so you need still need to check what the current Magical Beginnings offer is. I think they'll give you $13 per point at Vero and Hilton Head. I don't know what the deal is currently at WDW Vacation Club Resorts. As the other people said in your other post Magical Beginnings is only available to save money when you are purchasing your points. It does not apply when you already own your points. This information should have been made available to you through your guide and an offer was made as a part of my original contract paperwork. If you bought a re-sale from a realtor you would not have been offered the Magicla Beginnings plan. Did you buy through Disney?

Sorry folks I am a little slow on the typing. The two answers above were not here when I started. Have a good day!

Thanks for all your responses! I think the reason I didn't "get it" was because when I made my purchase (through Disney), they told me that I could EITHER: do that "buyback" thing so it would help with the downpayment - OR - if down payment wasn't a problem (it wasn't) I would get BOTH 2000's points and 2001's points (260 + 260= 520 points total) Now I thought that was a better deal, because I was assuming that since I was buying in 2001 that I would only get 260 points in 2001, since 2000 was "over". Am I not correct in assuming that was a better deal for me since I didn't need help with the down payment? I had access to the full 520 points right away, and promptly booked two trips. Does everyone get two years worth of points when they join (if they don't do the buyback) or was that a limited promotion?

You are very correct. MB is a poor deal however you look at it. The only time I would advise someone participating is if they need help with the downpayment.

I think even the $13 or even if it was $15, its still not something I would do. I bought the points to use them. I buy stock to profit from.

You may also want to look at your next vacation dates and points needs to see if it may be worth it. I bought in Sept 99 with an April use year. I wasn't planning on going again until May 2000, so I sold back 150 of my 250 points (the 50% rule was not in effect then), banked the other 100 into 2000 and got a $1,500 credit off the price. So on my first trip in 2000, I started out with 350 points.

The MB bonus was very worth it for me. Getting $13 a point and having my points start in April of 2002 instead of September 2001 was definately worth it, especially considering I could buy points for ~$8-10 a point if I really wanted to go on another vacation promptly.

...Steve

Wheeler....yes, if you don't need the help with the down payment you made the right move.

As to your question about:

"Does everyone get two years worth of points when they join (if they don't do the buyback) or was that a limited promotion?"

When you buy through Disney, your use year month is usually backdated somewhat. In my case, I bought in July and received a February use month. All of my points were available as if I had joined DVC in February, and I will be getting another new set of points next February. Since I cannot go to WDW before next February, I banked 100% of my points. I did have to pay a pro-rated maintenance fee for this year, but now I have two years worth of points available for next year!

So I really didn't get "two years worth of points" when I joined...my guess is something similar happened with you. If you bought early in 2001, your use year month would be some time in the 4th quarter 2000.

Did you have to bank your points to get two years worth? If not, I'm not sure how your deal worked. But then again, contrary to my DIS title, I am certainly NOT a DIS veteran.

I also got 2 years worth of points to use when I bought my DVC membership using MB. I also felt this was a better deal then selling back points, I did not want to sell back points I wanted to use them!

I disagree that MB is a bad deal. It depends on the circumstances. For me, it's working out great. I'm getting $13 pp off at HH and staying at Disney over Xmas for $8.60 per point at BWV and $7.53 per point at WLV using one of the codes. And I'm getting 165 points on 3/1/02. In order to book those same nights (Sun-Thurs) at WDW, I would have needed 240 points, thus causing me to borrow 75 points. How could that possibly be a bad deal? The only way I would consider that a bad deal is if I didn't like the idea of a total stranger making my bed and cleaning the toilet in my Villa at WDW. For the record, I don't object.

I may have missed it reading through the replies above, if I did, I appologize. I think it still needs to be addressed what's appropriate for MS and what's not. MS is not the place to call for sales and related info. They don't have the info and aren't trained nor allowed to discuss this area. The problem was not that MS was holding out on you, only that you asked a question not appropriate to ask them. You'll learn in time who to ask what.

I've always thought DVC sales needed a more formal backup system for when your guide isn't available. Of course you can always call the main number and ask them to get someone but it can be cumbersome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter