• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Groups skipping through lines...

Every time this subject comes up, I am grateful the Six Flags I work at has strict a no line jumping policy. You can't get in line ahead of your group/family and hold a place until they can catch up, if you leave the line to get a drink/go to the bathroom you lose your place and can't come back. What is and isn't acceptable is clear cut and put on signs all over the park so most people do what they need to do and make sure their group is together before they get in line. If people spot line jumping they can tell an employee who will get security or you can text a hotline number to report a description of the line jumpers and which ride you're on and security will come to you. When these people are caught, they're removed from the park with no refund offered. There were a lot of conflicts in lines that resulted in shouting matches and occasional fist fights, so these rules being in place made the park a less stressful and more enjoyable place. I wish Disney would at least encourage CMs to speak up and send line jumpers to the back of the line. I get not wanting conflict, but there's going to be guest on guest conflict if Disney doesn't step up.
That's actually quite interesting. I personally like that system but I suspect the sheer number of visitors to WDW along with the variety of cultures prevents Disney from implementing something this strict. Some CMs don't care, some know it's just a large issue at a particular ride/show, some don't know it's happening and some do not want to bring confrontation.

Last edited:
In certain circumstances yes. At Pirates of the Caribbean, the queue is so wide that there is generally extra space on the sides of the line. People tend to respect the line and leave the space open. But some people walk right by the line in this extra space. CM's don't care becuase they want the line to compact.
At which time, people are not "cutting" they are following the instructions of the CM.

We are talking about people cutting, NOT filling in all available space.

Last time we were at WDW we were 3 away from meeting Ariel when DGD3 suddenly said she had to go. I asked her if she could wait and DDIL said she'd just run her across the street and be right back and I'm like, "you can't do that"; she's "what?" I said "you can't do that; people will block you". She's like, "you're kidding, right"? I'm saying "no, they will block you. You need to read the boards I read". DGD3 held it. I GET the difference between a tour group and a 3 year old potty break but some don't. What if they thought she was getting an autograph or just didn't want to wait in line? I'd rather get out of line than get the stink eye, angry comments or worse yet, have my 3 year old blocked. DDIL thinks I'm crazy but I'm going to show her this thread tonight and say, "see?"

Last edited:

That's fine, and judging by the inactivity by others every time it happens, there are many who either share your attitude, or they're too afraid or non-confrontational to say anything.

I go a different way, and guess what....it doesn't get in the way of my vacation, either.

Exactly, it would be more upsetting to me if I didn't speak up. Correcting bad behavior when I'm effected could never spoil my vacation.
Indeed, last year this happened a couple times -different scenerios -first time my DD(11) was embarrassed that I spoke up, second time DD not embarassed at all and third time DD pointed out the situation to me and I handled it.

It is true most people dont speak up for whatever reason but they are always glad when I do. This happens at home too not just vacations. It always surprises me!

To me it's a matter of how I expect others to treat me and I'm glad my DD saw how to stick up for yourself and your principles. Ha, waiting for CM's to do the right thing is long gone.

That's actually quite interesting. I personally like that system but I suspect the sheer number of visitors to WDW along with the variety of cultures prevents Disney from implementing something this strict. Some CMs don't care, some know it's just a large issue at a particular ride/show, some don't know it's happening and some do not want to bring confrontation.

I think they are not strict about it is because of the sheer amount of young ones in Disney parks. Kind of hard to tell a 5 year old they have to hold it or start over at the beginning of the line.

If I'm in the single rider line then, yeah, I don't buy the saving spots line.... because we're all "single riders" not part of a group --- so there should be no expectation of any "saves" in the single rider line.

If I'm in the fastpass line or a regular standby line then I'm okay if it's a few people --- people get separated, there's emergencies, young kids, etc... . During our 2014 trip we had a few tour groups try but we basically said "no" and the CMs backed us up.

Last edited:

This has been an ongoing complaint on these boards since I joined. They did it then, they still do it now, they will do it in the future. If it's one person trying to catch up I let them go. If it's more than that I'll spread my kids to block the line and smile at them because I'm evil that way.

I really wish Disney would address this. I don't mind a few people catching back up or someone getting back in line after a bathroom break. It's the groups of 5 or more cutting in front of people to meet up with the group because they are coming from somewhere else. Its rude and ignorant. People have been waiting, what makes line jumpers think they are better than all the other people that have been waiting that they feel its ok to cut. This happened to us and I addressed it with the line jumpers and got yelled at. Then talked to the CM and they didn't care. Why do people who follow rules and behave lose out and get taken advantage of while the line jumpers get exactly what they want, shorter lines and getting on rides quicker. I know Cedar Point has a zero tolerance policy and you get thrown out of the park, if Disney did that people would surely stop this behavior.

I had two teenage boys one time try to move ahead of me in the Soarin line 'so they could get in line with their mother'. I asked them to point out their mother to me and I would go get her and bring her back to where we were at so she could stand in line with them. Curiously, their mother ended up not being in line.

Last time we were at WDW we were 3 away from meeting Ariel when DGD3 suddenly said she had to go. I asked her if she could wait and DDIL said she'd just run her across the street and be right back and I'm like, "you can't do that"; she's "what?" I said "you can't do that; people will block you". She's like, "you're kidding, right"? I'm saying "no, they will block you. You need to read the boards I read". DGD3 held it. I GET the difference between a tour group and a 3 year old potty break but some don't. What if they thought she was getting an autograph or just didn't want to wait in line? I'd rather get out of line than get the stink eye, angry comments or worse yet, have my 3 year old blocked. DDIL thinks I'm crazy but I'm going to show her this thread tonight and say, "see?"

If anyone blocks a 3 year old and a parent then they are the problem. Someone leaving to quickly use the bathroom and coming back is very very different than parties of people "meeting up" with their group ahead. Heck even me as a grown adult have done everything right and then really really had to go after 60 minutes of waiting in line, so I can imagine it happens a lot with preschoolers. I do remember our Six Flag had bathrooms in the super busy queues so you couldn't cut back in front but if you had been waiting for say 60 minutes before you got to the queue bathroom then you could reenter right at that point. I'm shocked Disney doesn't have an "emergency" bathroom in some of the lines as it would be pretty easy to retro fit.

I think they are not strict about it is because of the sheer amount of young ones in Disney parks. Kind of hard to tell a 5 year old they have to hold it or start over at the beginning of the line.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that though I do understand where you are coming from.

If Disney Parks, were a place where ONLY persons UNDER X age (which in your comments it would have to be an age where one is not old enough to consistently hold it and understand why if you can't we may have to go to the end of the line) could enter then that would make a lot of sense to not have any sort of social norm about staying in line because at that certain age the majority of children wouldn't be able to hold it and thus the majority of parents have to take their child out of the line to go to the restroom instead of it just being every now and then (or multiple times in a day but certaintly not every single queue/line you are in) that you see it.

However, Disney Parks, especially WDW, is a place for all to come and be a kid at heart. It's not a place filled with just 5 year olds and even then it's not soley designed for just the 5 year old (otherwise I should have stopped going after my 1st trip when I was under the age of 6). I don't mean this is a bad way so please don't take it that way.

If anyone blocks a 3 year old and a parent then they are the problem. Someone leaving to quickly use the bathroom and coming back is very very different than parties of people "meeting up" with their group ahead. Heck even me as a grown adult have done everything right and then really really had to go after 60 minutes of waiting in line, so I can imagine it happens a lot with preschoolers. I do remember our Six Flag had bathrooms in the super busy queues so you couldn't cut back in front but if you had been waiting for say 60 minutes before you got to the queue bathroom then you could reenter right at that point. I'm shocked Disney doesn't have an "emergency" bathroom in some of the lines as it would be pretty easy to retro fit.
I hadn't been on the board too long when I was told even for little ones they had to stand for hours like everyone else because other little kids didn't know why they were joining the line all they know is "he butted he butted". Thank you for your response. I would hope other people see that there are reasons why one had to leave the line or join late but not everyone does.

ETA: We're not talking about 15, 20 minute lines.

Last edited:
So here is what I have learned from being on Disboards. It is fine for people to rudely push their way up to join their friends in line instead of waiting in line like my 4 year old (who I am sure would love to be doing something else instead of standing in a boring line), but God-forbid I save a seat on the curb for my child to watch a parade while she is doing something else. Doing that is evidentially equal to the worst offense anyone could ever do.
No other amusement park that I have ever visited has allowed line-cutting.

Cultural differences are amazing!

I strongly recommend that many people answering here NEVER try to get on or off of an elevator in Korea.

And yet, cultural competence involves adapting to the culture you are visiting. I wouldn't be justified in being upset with the process of getting off and on an elevator in Korea, because I am in their culture, so why are other cultures not expected to conform to American culture, to include personal space and queue behavior? Shouldn't those visiting from other cultures expected to be aware of the values and mores of US culture and at least try to adapt? Just as I would have to adapt to the pushing and shoving that would accompany getting onto train in China?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that though I do understand where you are coming from.

If Disney Parks, were a place where ONLY persons UNDER X age (which in your comments it would have to be an age where one is not old enough to consistently hold it and understand why if you can't we may have to go to the end of the line) could enter then that would make a lot of sense to not have any sort of social norm about staying in line because at that certain age the majority of children wouldn't be able to hold it and thus the majority of parents have to take their child out of the line to go to the restroom instead of it just being every now and then (or multiple times in a day but certaintly not every single queue/line you are in) that you see it.

However, Disney Parks, especially WDW, is a place for all to come and be a kid at heart. It's not a place filled with just 5 year olds and even then it's not soley designed for just the 5 year old (otherwise I should have stopped going after my 1st trip when I was under the age of 6). I don't mean this is a bad way so please don't take it that way.

All I'm saying is you find way more little ones at a Disney park then at a 6 Flags. I think Disney is trying to be nice to those with little kids by not having such a strict stay in line rule, but it does cause problems at times. Most adults can look at a 2 hour line for a roller coaster and have a good idea if they can make it without having to step out. A young child doesn't have that skill and doesn't have the choice to get in line or not, for the most part.

Those same people assume WDW works like almost every other place you would ever go, and that it is no big deal to save a spot for your spouse or kid in a line.

Maybe it's Michigan but it's not okay to do that here. If you're in line for something where the number of people in front of you has an effect has an effect on you then it's rude to cut the line.

If you're buying movie tickets then one person can stand in the line but when it's time to line up to find a seat everyone has to be in line.

You don't go into costco and line up at the register with a cart and then have your spouse show up with another cart 10 mins later. You should have all your things (or people) ready.

Stacy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter