group of 12, one in wheelchair

KIMZKIDZ

Mouseketeer
Here's a question....

How does disney handle a group of 12 that wants to stay together with the wheelchair person? I know it's huge to ask to stay together , but has anyone had experiences with boarding rides in a wheelchair with a disabled person?

TIA!

Out of common courtesy, don't add more than one person w/ the wheelchair. It's just tacky to do so. If you went to one of the few handicapped boarding areas (seperate from the other queue) and told them there was 12 boarding with one wheelchair, the CM is likely to laugh.

You will need to go through the regular lines ir get fastpasses for all. With a GAC only a total of 6 are allowed. There might be an exception if all were very young children with one able adult but otherwise fastpass or separating is your best bet.

LindsayDunn228 said:
Out of common courtesy, don't add more than one person w/ the wheelchair. It's just tacky to do so. If you went to one of the few handicapped boarding areas (seperate from the other queue) and told them there was 12 boarding with one wheelchair, the CM is likely to laugh.
Disney allows up to 6 people in the group with the wheelchair including the person in the wheelchair. If all are adults then that is probably excessive but if children are involved it is reasonable. One trip we had 10 of us together with 2 wheelchairs and they allowed us to remain together. All adults, interpreting students and deaf.

Many of the boarding areas for wheelchairs are rather small and won't fit that many people. For some attractions, there are fairly small elevators that fit one or 2 people plus a wheelchair.

Also, for the seating areas in theaters, often there is a small number of seating spots next to the wheelchair spaces. We have already arrived for our Fastpass time for an attraction and had to wait for the next showing because 2 wheelchair parties with a lot of accompanying people had taken up all the companion seating (in a show that would normally hold 6 to 8 wheelchair parties). So, please wait in line together, but then meet up later.

The simple answer is that you will only all be able to stay together on rides that are fully mainstreamed. In a group of 12 there will surely be more than one adult?

We are a family of five and at one time we had to all go through the separate access together because DH had to help me and we had three children. Now they are older we sometimes stay together when it will not be inappropriate to do so but otherwise either I can go with DS and DH takes the girls or DS is old enough to take his sisters. The accomodations we get are very much appreciated and it is up to us not to take advantage of this or we may find them being withdrawn/reduced.

Sue

There are six in my family and my youngest son, who is 15, used a wheelchair part of the time we were at Disney last week. The only time we couldn't stay together was in EPCOT at a special place for people in wheelchairs to watch Illuminations. The CM would only let two of us stay with my son.

My family (group of 11) went in June. My father was in a wheelchair, and we were allowed to go with him onto every single ride with no questions asked. Most of the times we were all led through the fast pass or wheelchair access. None of the CM's questioned us. They just asked how many in the party and led us through. It was a wonderful Disney experience because we were able to do everything together.

karynnix said:
My family (group of 11) went in June. My father was in a wheelchair, and we were allowed to go with him onto every single ride with no questions asked. Most of the times we were all led through the fast pass or wheelchair access. None of the CM's questioned us. They just asked how many in the party and led us through. It was a wonderful Disney experience because we were able to do everything together.
I'm glad you had a good time, but letting a group that size go together like that is the exception rather than the rule. So, I wouldn't expect it - if it happens like it did to you, you got some WDW magic.

The usual maximum party they will keep together is 6 (5 plus the person with a disability). There are times when they limit it to 1 or 2 plus the person with a disability (mostly when the handicapped area is busy or the space is small).
In general, guests in wheelchairs and their parties don't get access thru the fastpass line (unless they all have fastpasses). It could be that at the time you went, it was not that busy and the waits in the standby lines were not that long. I have seen CMs take wheelchair parties right away under those conditions because it's easier for the CM to handle the party right away. Plus, if it's not that busy, the wait would not be all that different if you stayed in the standby line and the wheelchair/special needs boarding area is probably less busy, so they can put more people there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter