• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Group Camping/Boys Scouts at Fort Wilderness

DavidHobart

I am thinking of taking my troop to the Fort Wildenress Group Camping site over labor day weekend 2008. Can those of you who have done so tell me tips and tricks, and things you wished you had known prior to going?

FYI I know the world and FW quite well; my question is specifcally about group camping/boy scouts.

Thanks a million--Dave

I am thinking of taking my troop to the Fort Wildenress Group Camping site over labor day weekend 2008. Can those of you who have done so tell me tips and tricks, and things you wished you had known prior to going?

FYI I know the world and FW quite well; my question is specifcally about group camping/boy scouts.

Thanks a million--Dave

The group camping area is over next to the 2000 Loop. There is a minimum of 10 or 20 per group (don't remember), and the last price I saw is $10 per night per person. (That may have gone up.) There is no electric except at the comfort station. There is probably a common water faucet. The area is basically a large grassy field with some trees, picnic tables, and fire pits. I don't know if the comfort station there has a laundry facility, but is very close to 2000, so could use their laundry facility if necessary. There is a walking path over a bridge through the 900 Loop that will take you close to Meadows area.

and would also appreciate learning about what Disney has to offer Scout Groups. I'm a den leader 90 minutes from Disney so travel isn't so much of an issue.

I would highly recommend to the OP that if at all possible to incorporate an Overnight Adventure at Kennedy Space Center with your Den while you're at Disney, or at least a visit to KSC. Our Webelos went in June and we had such a great time. Its an incredible experience to sleep under the massive Saturn V Rocket.

We're in Gulf Ridge Council based out of Tampa (we're in Citrus Co north of there). I wonder if they have access to the programs from the other councils.

I am eyeing this for my Tigers to do when they are older, starting to do fundraising now etc.

We're in Gulf Ridge Council based out of Tampa (we're in Citrus Co north of there). I wonder if they have access to the programs from the other councils.

I am eyeing this for my Tigers to do when they are older, starting to do fundraising now etc.

We usually go out of Council for Summer Camp. I don't see whey they wouldn't allow out of Council Troops.

We've camped quite a bit there when I was in the Boy Scouts (I'm a proud Eagle Scout ;) ). It's a great time, it's a really spacious area, kind of far from everything but it's well worth the trip.

Only bad thing I can remember about it was one time we went and a bad case of pink eye went around the place. Everyone was waking up with crusty eyes :/

I remember my Scout Troop campout to FW in 1981 fondly. :cloud9: I'd say managing meals/cooking will be your biggest challenge. Keep in mind the Youth Protection and Guide to Safe Scouting requirements and you should have a great time.

Bama ED
Eagle Scout Troop 7, Tuscaloosa, AL
Once an Eagle Scout, Always an Eagle Scout

My son wants to transfer to your troop!

:) I am contemplating bringing my troop for two reasons: retention of older scouts, and recruiting of new ones! Your son is welcome to join...driving to troop meetings in NE Ohio might be a trick tho!

Simple math really, group camping is $10 per person, per day with no electric, etc. :confused: A regular site is $41- $75 per night with an allowed 10 person per site depending on what you reserve.

I have camped FW with large groups before and find the normal sites (vs. Group camping) to be more convenient, appealing and cost effective.

Just my humble opinion.

Simple math really, group camping is $10 per person, per day with no electric, etc. :confused: A regular site is $41- $75 per night with an allowed 10 person per site depending on what you reserve.

I have camped FW with large groups before and find the normal sites (vs. Group camping) to be more convenient, appealing and cost effective.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks so much--this is the kind of insight that is incredibly helpful (as was the PP about cooking).

My biggest qualm based on the posts to date is lack of electricity at the group site--while it is not too scoutly to bring electric fans for tents, even so I have had trouble in May sleeping at FW without them...and we would be going in August!

On the other hand...the tent pads at FW even in the tent-oriented loops are very small, and would be hard pressed to fit 3 to 5 tents each; moreover, one of the reasons for dedicated group camping sites is too keep the noise of groups away from the rest of campers...

The noise could be a problem with a large group of kids, depending on how well behaved they are and how dependable your chaperones are. We brought a group of 42 (with kids ranging 6 to 17) once and rented 5 campsites. If my memory serves me right we had 30 kids and 12 chaperones that trip. We found the sites to be plenty big because we used 5 ten man tents (one on each site) and they bunked together, which really worked well because one of the purposes of the trip was bonding. Having electricity really helped so the chaperones could have their coffee:rotfl: and cooking options could include crockpots and griddles.

Our trip had the kids doing all of the cooking and cleaning. We assigned each site a color (red, green, blue, white, and yellow) and marked each site with appropriately colored christmas lights. There was a chart which assigned duties for each meal (i.e- red and blue cook breakfast; white and yellow clean up afterwards) and it changed each time so everyone had a chance (or wasn't stuck with-depending on how you look at it) to do different tasks.

Stay in the preferred loops where most people are in the big rigs, I hear they are pretty sound proof so you wouldn't disturb anyone trying to get rest.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

With our troop, the individual campsites wouldn't really work as each Scout/adult brings their own tent. We have a fully outfitted kitchen for each patrol and do quite well without electricity as a troop. So the cramped quarters of the sites would not be worth the small savings and the electricity.

I doubt our troop will ever do Ft. Wilderness as it is a minimum 12 hour drive, so the summer would be the only time they could go. Our troop tends to head North and into the mountains for summer camp. (Although our older guys did do Sea Base this summer).

Does Disney have recommended activities for the kids while at the campground? Do they offer a discount on tickets at all?

I know about the movies and the campfire activities offered all campers at Ft. Wilderness, but was wondering if they could earn a Disney badge etc there. I know we could do our own activities, but was wondering what Disney offered.

Does Disney have recommended activities for the kids while at the campground? Do they offer a discount on tickets at all?

I know about the movies and the campfire activities offered all campers at Ft. Wilderness, but was wondering if they could earn a Disney badge etc there. I know we could do our own activities, but was wondering what Disney offered.

The info is further up in this thread, but I'll repost it.

Disney has something called the Youth Education Series (Y.E.S.) that has great activities for Boy Scouts

http://disneyyouthgroups.disney.go.c...ducationseries

Also, the Central Florida Council has something called Attraction Trek which includes WDW

http://www.camplanoche.com/attraction_trek.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter