• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ground (1st) floor opinions, elevators and Jambo house vs boardwalk opinions please 🙏

razster

Proud Owner @ AKV - 16yr DIS Veteran
Hi Guys,

we are currently booked to stay at AKL for three weeks this summer hopefully. Due to significant illness and subsequent disability I will now need the use of a power chair. We are thinking of moving our reservation to BWV making it easier to get to several parks without transport and being generally nearer wveything Also we really do love the ambiance at BW.

However, looking at the two disabled accessible 1 bedroom standards at BWV they are the first room besides the lifts and either on the 1st or second floors. We have never had a groundfloor patio before, anyone able to comment on what these are like? We wonder about privacy, sharing patio space with next door rooms as 1 beds are part of 2 bed lock offs and doesn’t appear to be outdoor divider? Would you take these rooms over 1 bed 5th floor either Pool view or obstructed Savannah view at Jambo House?

Ultimately, would you stay as we are at AKL Jambo or take chance on these rooms at BWV, the second floor wouldn’t be as bad I guess, but first floor would be a whole new ball game for us...

Can anyone also tell me where I can get decent photos of views of the villas and room reviews of specific rooms I’ve forgotten, I blame the meds 🤦‍♂️🤣

Any views much appreciated. Thank you and happy New Year.

Last edited:
Do you need the accessible amenities in the room like the roll in shower or will a non-accessible room work?

Here's the link to the room finder/views on Touringplans.com

Hotel Room Views (touringplans.com)
Hi Kat4Disney, thank you so much for your response. I will most definitely need the roll in facilities. Truthfully the adjusted kitchen area not so much as my wife kindly takes great care of us. Some extra room to move around bed etc. I have been DVC member for 14 years and this is first time I will be travelling profoundly disabled. AKL is our home but BW location keeps nagging at me as being a more sensible option, and at three weeks stay we can’t stretch to better views in points...

I’m really concerned about the idea of the ground floor option as we’ve never ever done that.

thank you again

In regards to the stay if you do need the accessible options - we've been in the pool/garden view accessible room on the 3rd floor just above the standard view. And I've had a pool/garden view studio once that was on the ground floor but back in the other direction so further back from the pool. I think I recall that there were dividers between the patios but for the most part we do not find that we run into neighbors using their patio all that often. I prefer a higher floor but the ground floor is fine. Maybe a week and one place followed by two weeks at the other or some combo? The location of BWV is really nice with a power chair.

And if you weren't aware the doors out to the patio at BWV have a second side that opens that provides wide access. Or at least most have that we've been in whether they are accessible rooms or not.

BWV pool/garden view 1BR accessible - just above the standard views:

p1880329593-4.jpg

And if you weren't aware the doors out to the patio at BWV have a second side that opens that provides wide access. Or at least most have that we've been in whether they are accessible rooms or not.

BWV pool/garden view 1BR accessible - just above the standard views:

p1880329593-4.jpg
Thanks so much for the tips and photos. May I ask, if you had any issues with the elevators? Are they much disturbance being so close?

Thanks so much for the tips and photos. May I ask, if you had any issues with the elevators? Are they much disturbance being so close?

No, we were not bothered by them. A little "elevator" noise but I also do always sleep with ear plugs whenever I stay in a hotel now.

My mom had a scooter when we were at AKL and there were at least two times we had to wait for the next bus because there were already people with a scooter filling up the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter