Green Chili Stew

yummy72

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have or know of a source for a recipe for Green Chili Stew...SPECIFICALLY the one from The Shed Restaurant in Santa Fe, NM or The Border Crossing Restaurant in Norman, OK

I have tried every green chili stew recipe known to man and DH is still wanting these!

TIA!

What a coincidence! My DH is from Los Alamos and The Shed is one of his favorites. We eat there at least once every trip back and I always get the green chile stew. I'll ask my in-laws if they can get the recipe from the chef. They go there a lot.

Malificent-

If your in-laws could get the recipe for that stew I know my DH's tummy would be eternally grateful! I'm telling you, the guy loves it so much, I am putting that recipe in a frame and giving it to him for Xmas!

LMK!
Thanks,
Candi

Candi,

Bad news. The chef at The Shed won't share his recipe. They even tried La Choza, which is a sister restaurant with the same menu, and they wouldn't do it either. I have some green chile stew recipes, but I don't think they are as good. I do know that The Shed uses Hatch green chiles, which we get canned. Sorry I couldn't help.:(

Tina

I have a question. Is this stew white like a potato soup with veggies? The reason I ask is my Dad lives in Vail, CO and when we visited at Christmas a couple of years ago my step-mom served green chili soup. It was wonderful and ever since then I have been trying to duplicate it. Yes, the brand of green chili makes a difference...we buy several cans when we visit. My step-mom didn't have a recipe to follow just threw some things together (I hate when cooks say that). I'd be curious to see what kind of recipe you end up with!

Keep us posted!

TK

I had a feeling he wouldn't share his recipe...Thanks so much for trying! I have someone who is trying to get the recipe at The Border Crossing in Oklahoma. They are modeled after The Shed and have many of the same recipes.

Next question--about what's in the stew...I've made several recipes, obviously green chiles, pork or beef (we prefer beef, I've even seen recipes with chicken) some us potatoes, corn, tomatoes or hominy. Then one closest to what I am looking for has very tender almost shredded beef, corn, potatoes, green chiles in a very thick dark brown broth. it's very peppery and a little spicy.

The waitress at The Border Crossing told my DH one day when he ordered the stew "the chef says we have the stew, it's made, but it needs to cook for awhile to let the meat tenderize" so...the batch I made over the weekend I let simmer for a long time. The meat came out great, but this recipe also calls for salsa verde which lost most of it's heat after cooking so long. This one also uses beer, hominy and cilantro which is nothing like The Shed, but it's still pretty good.

Back to the drawing board!

thanks again!
Candi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter